PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Maple Tray

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Here is the 2nd maple tray with a green insert. It is the same size and will have the same finish. It has the Seal-A-Cell on it now and will get 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal. I included a bottom shot on this as I was asked what the bottom looked like on the first one.

Neal Addy
01-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Whoa! I like this one better! Neat looking color contrast.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2007, 10:41 PM
You're on a roll Bernie! Are these the 6" stones?

Bob Hallowell
01-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Bernie,
That is really nice. I must of missed your first one I just showed the wife and it is now on my list of things to do!

Bob

Oops just saw your fisrt on it looks nice to but I do like the shape and the green insert on this better.

John Hart
01-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Beauty!! I really like this idea Bernie!

I was also thinking tonight that a cool looking bowl might look good in the center on another design. For like chips and dip. The flat ones look more like Cheese and Crackers.

.....which reminds me...I'm hungry. :)

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Wow - I like this one even better than the white! The color of the center really adds to the overall piece. Very nice!

Jonathon Spafford
01-27-2007, 2:43 AM
Both of these trays are really cool... this one has to be the coolest. Like the green middle. The wood looks like brown maple. I have several boards of this and it has islands of brown up and down the board. Anyway, you did a great job!

Glenn Hodges
01-27-2007, 9:31 AM
Bernie I like them both, but I am kind of partial to the green one.

Mark Pruitt
01-27-2007, 9:39 AM
Yup, I'm like Glenn, I like 'em both but would choose the green, all other things being equal.

Question. What's the benefit in using Arm-R-Seal on top of Seal-A Cell? (Is Arm-R-Seal a waterproof finish?)

George Tokarev
01-27-2007, 10:07 AM
What's that in the middle, ceramic or serpentine or some other stone? Looks neat, ought to provide a good base for cutting. Have you ever done one with replaceable contrasting wood inserts?

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Question. What's the benefit in using Arm-R-Seal on top of Seal-A Cell? (Is Arm-R-Seal a waterproof finish?)

Mark I am not sure. General Finishes recommends using them together. They say Seal-A-Cell is a Oil sealer finish and the topped with a Arm-R-Seal as oil/urethane sealer which they say is as strong as poly. I really like it. It is a nice finish.

George T. I am not sure what the stones are. Craft Supply USA calls it a marble insert. These are the first two I have ever made so no on the different wood inserts.

Thanks again one and all for the comments. I appreciate them. Now I have only 6 more to go if I can find at least one more 14" or so by 8/4 by 48" long maple board. Wish I could find some cherry that big but I know wishful thinking.

Paul Engle
01-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Bernie,
You got it Toyota !!! The green looks great , will show the wife . nice job on platter , I got a 16 in piece of spalted and figured birch with lots of brown/pink runing thru the grain I am going to go start it soon as i finish here , thanks for the inspiration !!! Excellent work :D

Pete Jordan
01-27-2007, 1:38 PM
Bernie,

It is a pleasure to watch your advancement!

I wish I could keep up.

Keep it going.

Keith Burns
01-27-2007, 5:00 PM
Bernie, another winner !!! I like the green insert best as well, but they both look super. Great job !!:)

Skip Spaulding
01-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I'll have to go with majority, I like the green too. Great project Bernie, thanks for sharing.

Tom Sherman
01-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Great Platter Bernie, I like the green one best also.

Jim Ketron
01-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Nice Job Bernie!
They both look great!
Question what type of glue did you use for the insert?
I know a lot of people use silicone on pieces like this to allow for wood movement.

Ernie Nyvall
01-28-2007, 9:40 PM
Nice going Bernie. Looks like a great idea for cheese and crackers.