PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0453 planer

robert cohen
01-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Does anyone have it? How is the quality? Are the tables ground flat?

Is the motor good?

Will it be hard to upgrade to a Shelix head later?

Can someone post closeup shots of their machine?

robert cohen
01-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Anyone?

Anyone?

Buehler?

glenn bradley
01-27-2007, 12:35 AM
I hear crickets. . . . I did notice a review on woodnet.

JayStPeter
01-27-2007, 7:40 AM
It looks (and specs) a lot like the Yorkcraft YC15 which always gets great reviews. My guess is that it is the same machine painted green. I would also suspect that the same byrd cutterhead would fit it, but you would have to verify that with Grizzly.

joe pezza
01-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Does anyone have it? How is the quality? Are the tables ground flat?

Is the motor good?

Will it be hard to upgrade to a Shelix head later?

Can someone post closeup shots of their machine?

Robert,

Cant post pics, currently at work. But I bought the 15" griz planer late last yr. So far, I have been pretty happy.

Cons, doesn't leave as smooth a finish as my delta bench top. definitely need a DC. have to do a very light final pass to get all the shavings off the wood, or they will be imbedded in softer woods.

pros, can hog off wood in a hurry. powerful. bang for the buck. good delivery, easy setup, built in wheels(great idea) and i think a pretty good machine for the money.

only adjustments needed out of the box was to adjust the feed roller pressure, mars the wood. joe p

Jeff Kerr
01-27-2007, 1:53 PM
I bought one in Jube 06. Obe heavy piece of metal. No issues with it. Plenty of HP and quiet for the size and amount of wood it can chew.

robert cohen
01-27-2007, 5:46 PM
How is the casting?

Is the fit and finish acceptable?

Is the PM 15S a better choice?

Harley Lewis
01-27-2007, 9:35 PM
My wife bought a 453 for me for Christmas, so I have not used it a lot. I suppose I have run 50 bd ft of walnut and 40 bd ft of oak through it. The fit and finish on this machine is great, runs like a top and like all blade planers leaves little blade marks that needs to be sanded prior to final finishes. It really hogs the wood, and there are no chips that escape the DC. Would I buy it again -- you bet! I am thoroughly impressed when compared to my delta lunch box, it is faster, better cuts, no snipe, and quieter. I set the bed rollers at .02, which is the ht recommended for finish work.

Harley

robert cohen
01-27-2007, 9:46 PM
Thanks. Sounds like one for me. The other choice is the Yorkcraft.

Russ Massery
01-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Robert, I have the Yorkcraft. It's a great machine.I can say it's pretty much the same unit as the G0453.

Tim Martin
01-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi Robert, I live in Australia and have got the same thicknesser. The manual appears to be exactly the same except mine is painted grey. They all pretty much come from the same factory's in China or Taiwan, and they are just re-badged and marketed accordingly.

I have no complaints about the machine and it has yet to fail me. Also very easy to move around with the solid cast iron wheels. Everything on it is serviceable if anything breaks down. I say go for it.

As for the spiral head, Grizzly has one on their website that looks like the same model, so a quick email to them should give you an answer. Heck, even I might shoot an email to them, wouldn't mind a spiral head cutter block.