PDA

View Full Version : A bowl and a new tool!

Bob Hallowell
01-26-2007, 9:49 PM
This is a piece of curly Maple I rough turned a Bill Grumbine's place a couple of weeks ago.

the pick's aren't the best but please critic it as I am learning and want to know what I do wrong even though I think it turned out pretty nice.

It is 8" by 2 1/2" high. 2 coats of watco and I will buff it next week.

Next is a scraper I made. I was given several peices of m2 hss steel. This peice was 1 1/4" wide by 1/2" thick by 7" long. I made a very beefy bowl scraper out of it which I used on the maple bowl I just pictured.

Thanks for looking
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2007, 9:57 PM
Don't know what is to critique Bob. The bowl looks mighty fine to me. I like the form. Can't wait to see it buffed. Please post when you do. Scrapper looks like a monster and should do the job with little chatter.

Neal Addy
01-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Nothing to critique there... that's a very nice bowl! I like the rim treatment. The way you beveled the edge is eye-catching.

John Hart
01-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Yup...I agree. That's a great looking bowl. Cool wood too! That figure is a knock-out. On your scraper....I don't think it's going bend!;) :D Looks good.

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Have to agree with everyone else - beautiful bowl! I can't decide if your tool is a scraper or a weapon - that's monster!

Tony Kent
01-27-2007, 3:31 AM
Well , very nice bowl, but wow that scraper is a weapon. I think you need to send it to me for safe keeping, wouldn't want anyone there to get hurt by it....lol,Tony

William Bachtel
01-27-2007, 7:58 AM
Just made three tools out of old files, one scraper, one parting tools, the other isn't done yet, handles will be curly Sassafras. I have make lathe tools before and they all work perfectly. Pictures later.

Terry Quiram
01-27-2007, 8:00 AM
Bob

Very nice bowl. Love the shape. How long did it take you to grind the tang????:D Aint old tool steel great?

Terry

Bob Hallowell
01-27-2007, 8:22 AM
Terry,
It took me hours to grind the toll tang and profile. I do agree that old steel is great but It's actully new steel. These were hss cutters for a machine a shop no longer has. I have another peice or to Like this a quite a few peices of 1" x 3/8".

Thanks for the comment on the Bowl guys

Bob

George Tokarev
01-27-2007, 8:34 AM
Love what maple does under stress. That's what this bowl's got, stress issues. Curl's like Jane Russell, a "full figure."

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/Linseed.jpg

Or, if you fancy naked bottoms.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/bb09ce26.jpg

I like the spread fashion as a salad bowl or to hold something to be heaped rather than contained, like centerpiece fruit. You did it well.

As to the scraper, I bought a couple from Bernie Mares a few years back when I decided to do some deep hollowing. Half inch thick A2 monsters I can barely lift, but they don't flex much with overhang, that's for sure. When I found I didn't care for the genre, they went to the farthest portion of the rack. Just don't use them in normal turning.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Bob....beautiful bowl...nice looking tool! I bought a Sorby XHD about the same size. It works well! Congrats on making the new tool!

Bill Grumbine
01-27-2007, 5:33 PM
Very nice Bob! I'll have to go out and look closer at some of those logs... ;)

Bill

Keith Burns
01-27-2007, 8:08 PM
Very nice Bob. Nice tool too:) :)

Tom Sherman
01-28-2007, 8:22 AM
Great bowl Bob, and that scraper is awsome.