PDA

View Full Version : Can't sell this little guy.....

Wolf Kiessling
01-26-2007, 6:04 PM
This little bust is 8.5" tall and carved from basswood. Don't remember what I turned the base from. I have tried to sell him for 75 bucks at several shows but had no success. Do you think he's overpriced or just not any good.........

Jim Becker
01-26-2007, 6:05 PM
It's excellent work, Wolf. I suspect that it just requires the right buyer to come along...specifically, someone with a love. of that particular breed or someone that collects dog tchachkas.

Dan Oliphant
01-26-2007, 6:17 PM
I also like the little critter, well done. As Jim stated, the breed connection will most likely sell it for you.

Don Bullock
01-26-2007, 7:08 PM
As someone who collects dog figurines, I can say that it looks very nice. I can tell that you put a lot of work in on it and the craftsmanship is excellent. The only reason I wouldn't be interested is that it's the wrong breed for me. People who buy dog figurines usually collect a particular breed and many get to the point where they only buy ones that look like their dog(s). It can be a difficult market.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2007, 8:58 PM
Wolf.........I really like that figurine! You'll find a buyer I'm sure! Nicely done!

Pete Bradley
01-26-2007, 9:25 PM
The work is excellent. I wonder if the combined effect of the carving and base is a little offputting though -- kind of like the little guy came from the taxidermist. I find the third picture much more appealing than the others.

Not sure how to change it, just passing along my first impression.

Pete

Jon Shively
01-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Very nice work, but once Pete pointed it out, yeah, kind of look like the dog is a trophy and has been mounted. Don't know how they normally are stood up, but the one buyer is out there, keep putting it out for them to find. Oh, put a sale tag on him next time, from $100.00 down to $75 only for this show/event. Everybody loves a bargain.

Lee Schierer
01-27-2007, 3:00 PM
Nice work. See is your local vet will let you set it on their counter with a for sale sign & price tag or take it on consigment if they offer any sort of items for sale in their office.

Wolf Kiessling
01-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Jon and Lee, a couple of really good ideas worth pursuing. Thanks, also to all the others who commented........

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm guessing you have made two mistakes.
1.) Wrong audience. Like someone said: these collectors are breed specific.
&
2.) Wrong price. I can't guess how much work goes into something like that but I'd not let it go for less than a grand, maybe more. Which of course gets you back to the question of who it is to whom you are marketing.