PDA

View Full Version : Maple Tray

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2007, 1:59 PM
I finished turning this maple tray today and got the first coat of Seal-A-Cell on it. I still have to put 3 coats Arm-R-Seal on it yet but wanted to take a quick picture of it and see if there is anything I could do different before I start on the next one this afternoon. My wife took it to work this morning and now I need to make 4 more. 3 with the white marble center and 1 with a green marble center. Oh and I was just informed 1 more with a white center for the wife.:p By the way it is 14 1/4" across.

Paul Engle
01-26-2007, 2:12 PM
Bernie, VERY NICE :D , the LOML has been wanting one and I will show her yours. I bet the green will look great against the maple .Super job! I suspect that the finish is food safe stuff ( the Arm-R-Seal), have not heard of it , where'd you get it?

Ed Scolforo
01-26-2007, 2:19 PM
Looking good, Bernie!

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2007, 3:14 PM
Bernie, VERY NICE :D , the LOML has been wanting one and I will show her yours. I bet the green will look great against the maple .Super job! I suspect that the finish is food safe stuff ( the Arm-R-Seal), have not heard of it , where'd you get it?

Paul I buy it thru Craft Supplies USA. It is a two part system called Sealacell system. They say it is good for salad bowls, untinsels, and childrens toys. I used it on the kids Mahogany salad bowl set. It has done just fine so far. Treat it like anything else just wash with warm soapy water, rinse and dry immediately.

John Hart
01-26-2007, 3:42 PM
Oh man!! I'm going to have to copy this for next Christmas!! Do I owe you any royalties Bernie?

Keith Burns
01-26-2007, 3:56 PM
Great job as usual Bernie !!!:) :)

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2007, 4:05 PM
Wow! Really nice design! Great looking wood!

Please post a picture of the green one when you get it completed - wife's favorite color.

Where did you get the marble inserts?

David Walser
01-26-2007, 4:18 PM
Bernie,

Very nice! Do you mind my asking where you get your blanks? Trees don't often grow that big in Arizona!

Mark Pruitt
01-26-2007, 4:29 PM
....wanted to take a quick picture of it and see if there is anything I could do different before I start on the next one this afternoon...
Aesthetically: Not a thing! It looks great. Anyone should be proud to have it.
Functionally: Depends on its intended use. You might consider having two "channels" instead of the one wide channel. I dunno...that might actually limit its uses, but just a thought to consider.

John Chandler
01-26-2007, 4:40 PM
That is a nice tray. Great job.

Frank Kobilsek
01-26-2007, 4:45 PM
Bernie

I like it. What's the bottom look like.

I have been using Mahoney walnut oil and his wax on my functional pieces lately. Works great on walnut and cherry but seems to wash off maple. Maybe I'll have to try Seal a Cell.

Mark is obviouly a Ritz Cracker guy, me, I do Wheat Thins and Triskets

Frank

Glenn Hodges
01-26-2007, 4:53 PM
Bernie, I think you have created a beautiful piece, and your sales are proving me correct. Where do you find your marble pieces for the center?

Skip Spaulding
01-26-2007, 5:02 PM
Bernie, Looks like you hit a winner! Beautiful and totally functional. Sounds like you may be making them til the cows come home!

Jim Becker
01-26-2007, 6:14 PM
Nice, Bernie...'looks ready for a party!

Corey Hallagan
01-26-2007, 8:38 PM
Looks very nice Bernie! Keep up the good work. Bet yah could sell a couple of those things!

Corey

Curt Fuller
01-26-2007, 8:42 PM
Nice Platter Bernie. Looks almost to pretty to actually use it.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2007, 8:53 PM
Bernie.....Boy I like that tray. I can see why more are wanted!

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2007, 9:55 PM
Thanks for all the compliments. Well as I said the wife took it to work this morning unfinished. Anyway she gets home tonight to tell me I now need 7 plus one for her. She said she hoped it was ok as she told them $65. That is about double what I have in them. For a farming community not bad. I will take it.

For Glenn Hodges, Steve Schlumpf I got the inserts from Craft Supply USA. They have two colors Green and White/Gray.

David W. I got the maple off the big site e... It is kiln dried maple. I got several board at not to bad a price. They were 14 1/2" wide and 49" long. I also got enough to do 6 plates.

John Hart yep 15% would be fine.:eek: :D :p

Neal Addy
01-26-2007, 10:26 PM
That is really nice, Bernie. I've been wanting to do one of these.

Question for ya... did you glue the marble into place? I've been wondering whether leaving it unglued would make it easier to clean. I guess that leaves a chance of it falling out and breaking.

I'd be curious how you and others do this.

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Neal I epoxy mine in. Seems to hold well and doesn't let water get underneath if you seal the underneath edges good.