6 x 6 x 2” Zebrawood
6 x 6 x 2” Bubinga
10 x 10 x 2: Mahogany
5.5 x 6 x 2” Redgum
7 x 11.5 x 2” Rosewood
9 x 11 x 2” Imbuya
6 x 21 x 2” Kingwood
7.5 x 9.5 x 2” Walnut

Does that seem like a decent price? I have tried to look at the woodcraft site but they do not stock everything listed (size or species) so I am not sure. any feedback before Saturday would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben

Alex Cam
01-26-2007, 1:51 PM
It's not an outragious price -- but think of the tools you could buy for $100 to turn free wood with!

Mark Pruitt
01-26-2007, 2:00 PM
I agree, it's not outrageous, but it's not really a great price either. The part that puzzles me is, when you buy a 2" thick turning blank it's typically square. Some of those are rectangular, leaving me wondering what the rest of the blank should be used for once a square is cut from it for a bowl or dish. If the long side of a rectangular blank is running across the grain (very unlikely), the scrap could at least be salvaged for pens. Otherwise, maybe resawn and used for collars or used for small tops; not much else.

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2007, 2:01 PM
I agree with Alex and Mark. Isn't a price gouge by any means but the thing that bothers me is the 2" thickness. That doesn't yeild to a very deep bowl. By a good bowl gouge and find some free wood.

Benjamin Dahl
01-26-2007, 2:10 PM
ok, thanks for the advice and quick responses. I probably won't buy it all and see if I can get a good deal on few of the square blanks instead. I'll also keep my eyes open for free stuff.

Frank Kobilsek
01-26-2007, 2:17 PM
Ben,

I'm going the disagree with the others and say a 6" Dia. bowl 2" deep has nice proportions. I have and do make alot of pieces that size. If your a mini lathe guy these are great pieces to add a little variety to your collection.

I would suggest that the Kingwood piece alone is worth $100, at least at my local hardwood dealer.

Don't be afraid to cut any one or more of these blanks up into stopper blanks or pen blanks or whatever you specialize in.

On buying wood: Its a guilty pleasure. A small sin. Enjoy the variety. Big stuff is going to come from your chainsaw.

Frank

Lee DeRaud
01-26-2007, 2:25 PM
I'm going the disagree with the others and say a 6" Dia. bowl 2" deep has nice proportions. I have and do make alot of pieces that size. If your a mini lathe guy these are great pieces to add a little variety to your collection.Second that.

And yes, at that price it's cheaper than Woodcraft...I oughta know, the Fedex guy is supposed to deliver a 35lb box from them today.

Paul Engle
01-26-2007, 2:28 PM
Ben,
I kinda agree with Frank, most of these are not every day woods and make great boxes and the left overs for finals. An average exotic is 12.99 at woodcrafters and they are 6x6x2' thick, i made a babunga one for LOML with quilted maple lid and walnut angel final. She loved it and its is big enuf to impress her friends.Free wood is best but sometime that " special " one needs to be exotic just so you can feel good about an " expensive piece". :D

Benjamin Dahl
01-26-2007, 2:57 PM
Everyone. thanks again for the feedback. I will see what the wood looks like tomorrow and take it from there. I do have some gift giving occasions coming up so these could fit the bill.
Ben

Curt Fuller
01-26-2007, 9:20 PM
Second that.

And yes, at that price it's cheaper than Woodcraft...I oughta know, the Fedex guy is supposed to deliver a 35lb box from them today.

That seems like quite a bit of wood for 100 bucks. It's the shipping that can drive the price through the ceiling.

As for the rectangular and add shaped pieces, cut them square and save the pieces for small boxes, finials, pens, etc etc.

Gary Herrmann
01-26-2007, 9:38 PM
I'd be pretty tempted to buy those exotics for $100. Granted they're bigger than what's listed here, but last weekend, I saw an 8x8x3 zebrawood blank for $50 and an 8x8x4 blank of Bubinga for $75 at Rockler.

Maybe if they had buy one, get one free...

I also saw a 2"x2"x24" stick of Kingwood for $20 or $25 that I did think about because I'm going to make some winestoppers for SWMBO soon.

Granted Rockler doesn't have the best prices, but based on what I saw there and what you're listing here, I'd say its a pretty decent deal.

I've picked up a bunch of free wood recently, but I would like to try turning some exotics at some point. Maybe buy them and put them away, or trade some of it here. I've got some pear I can trade ya...

Gary DeWitt
01-27-2007, 1:24 AM
These are better prices than I can get the same woods locally, Rockler or a couple other wood only dealers.
I'd save the extra pieces for bottle stoppers, or even small jewelry or accent inlays on larger pieces. You can also make an interesting winged bowl out of a rectangular piece of 2x.

Neal Addy
01-27-2007, 1:50 AM
Yep. Same here. I'd do it.

As far as the corners go I never throw anything away. They're always good for lids, finials, miniatures, pen blanks, inlay, etc.

Stephen Hibbs
01-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I got some 6x6x2 teak and mohagony blanks for my birthday and they were great fun, sometimes it can be a lot of fun to turn something exotic instead of the same-old. Plus it adds some variety to your collection. If they are dry and milled, as opposed to a cut up piece of wood with the bark still on it, I would sugest making some legged bowls. Those are great with a nice piece of wood, and you can't make them out of stuff cut up on your chainsaw.