PDA

View Full Version : What is there a big space in several large workbenches?

Luke McFadden
01-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Such as the Lee Valley bench and their traditional bench has a different style.

L

Jim Dailey
01-26-2007, 1:22 AM
Luke if you are asking "why" there is a space on the bench top of a traditional work bench.... then I believe your asking about the tool tray that's at the back on a tradition bench, or down the center in the case of a Lee Valley bench.

There's a nice review of traditional work benches in a recent Fine Woodworking Magazine if you'd like more information & how they rated by the reviewers.

Hope this helps, jim

Russ Filtz
01-26-2007, 7:19 AM
The tool tray is a love it-hate it thing. Some people like to have tools at hands reach and the tray keep round stuff from rolling off. Other people just call the tray a sawdust/chip/curl catcher that stays messy!

glenn bradley
01-26-2007, 9:26 AM
Yeah, love / hate on the tool tray. Very handy when you need it. A loss of surface when you don't. I see "modern" benches that have moved the tray to an add-on position at the left or right of the top surface. Some benches even have a full-on gap down the middle to allow access to pieces being worked. Not for me but certainly just what someone else may be looking for.

Greg Cole
01-26-2007, 10:34 AM
A filler piece can be easily made to place in the tool tray when not needed. I am pretty sure some of the bench manufacturers offer them as an option.
With my recent Neander purchases and learning curve with the tools... a true Neander bench is in the future and will have a tool tray and most likey I will make the filler for when hand planing and creating bags full of shavings....

Greg