PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw make-over

Phillip Thorne
01-25-2007, 11:07 PM
I've just gotten my hands on an early 80's craftsman 12" 220v table saw, besides a little cosmetic touching up, it's in great shape...there are a couple of replacement parts needed...

I need a new fence, any recommendations? I understand the whole pay now or pay later, but the amount I can pay now is a lot lower than I hopefully will be able to pay later so whats a good entry level fence?

and an on/off switch...

Thanks guys!!

Phillip-dreaming of all the projects I want to build

Mike Heidrick
01-25-2007, 11:15 PM
I've just gotten my hands on an early 80's craftsman 12" 220v table saw, besides a little cosmetic touching up, it's in great shape...there are a couple of replacement parts needed...

I need a new fence, any recommendations? I understand the whole pay now or pay later, but the amount I can pay now is a lot lower than I hopefully will be able to pay later so whats a good entry level fence?

and an on/off switch...

Thanks guys!!

Phillip-dreaming of all the projects I want to build

So you need a single phase starter switch for the saw correct? Making sure it is a single phase motor first off. Grizzly has the lowest prices on starters new. Get the HP and amperage ratings from your saw and we can help you select the one that will work for you if you want.

Pete Brown
01-26-2007, 7:03 AM

and an on/off switch...

I bought a magnetic switch from Grizzly. I would have bought a big magnetic paddle switch if I could have found one. My fence is Incra and I love it.

Shots of my saw makeover are here (http://www.irritatedvowel.com/HomeImprovement/FrankenSaw.aspx). Some basic info about my install of the Incra fence is here (http://www.irritatedvowel.com/Reviews/WoodWorking/IncraSys/Default.aspx). I never got a chance to finish either article, but there's still a bunch of info there.

Pete

Pete

Matt Day
01-26-2007, 8:29 AM
For the fence, if money is tight, I would try to find a used Biesemeyer or a new Vega. I got the Vega U50 for $184 shipped during a promotion and like it a lot.

glenn bradley
01-26-2007, 9:23 AM
I'd go Beisemeyer so you never have to buy one again but I understand the sticker shock. I put an Align-a-Rip on my old Craftsman and my dad is currently using it and is very happy as I was. The bad news is that Sears does not appear to be carrying this Ryobi-made fence any longer and blew them out at $99!!! about 3 months ago. You may find a Sears with one still left in stock or find one after-market. Other than being aluminum, it was a great fence.