PDA

View Full Version : Plaque using CarveWright Probe ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
01-25-2007, 8:27 PM
Ted Grinnell scanned this scene with the new scanner probe available for the CarveWright machine. He allowed us to use it, so I made it extra large. It's on red oak, and is 12" X 24". I think the quailty turned out great. I know cherry or maple will cut cleaner, but I had this on hand. It'll be up to the wife to tell me how she would like the finish. I guess I'll have to get me a scanner now.

Frank Corker
01-25-2007, 9:10 PM
Looks very nice from the photo - how long to carve?

01-25-2007, 9:20 PM
Looks very nice from the photo - how long to carve?

Frank ... it took 3 1/2 hours to carve for the 12" X 24" size and at the best bit utilization setting.

Bruce Boone
01-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Ron, That's great. When you say scanned, was the original 2D artwork that gets converted to Z depth depending on gray level, or was it originally a 3D object that was digitized and copied in XY and Z?

Bruce Volden
01-26-2007, 6:19 AM
Ron, That's great. When you say scanned, was the original 2D artwork that gets converted to Z depth depending on gray level, or was it originally a 3D object that was digitized and copied in XY and Z?

Bruce

CW came out with a digital probe which is used to actually "scan" in 3-D. I also bought one but have yet to even plug it in or load software, ......someday 'tho I'll have more time to play with all my toys :D

Bruce

01-26-2007, 7:50 AM
Bruce

CW came out with a digital probe which is used to actually "scan" in 3-D. I also bought one but have yet to even plug it in or load software, ......someday 'tho I'll have more time to play with all my toys :D

Bruce

Thanks Bruce ... yeah ... what he said.

Mitchell Andrus
01-26-2007, 8:16 AM
It took 3.5 hrs to carve 12 x 24. How large was the original, how long to scan and what's the resolution of the probe/software? I'll assume the file is scaleable.

01-31-2007, 7:56 AM
It took 3.5 hrs to carve 12 x 24. How large was the original, how long to scan and what's the resolution of the probe/software? I'll assume the file is scaleable.

Mitchell,
This is from their website ...

The CarveWright scanning probe opens up the world of 3D scanning to anyone. Now you can reproduce original pieces, repair antique furniture even copy trim and moldings with ease. Almost any material can be scanned even soft materials such as clay or wax. Scanning resolution up to .005 inches are possible. Just plug the probe into the CarveWright, set the desired scan area, and watch the CarveWright go to work. With the included CarveWright Import software you can manipulate the 3D output to meet your needs.

• reproduce original pieces
• repair antique furniture
• copy trim and moldings
• resolution up to .005 inches
• Scans almost any materiall even soft
• materials such as clay or wax

The original was 10" long by 6" wide. The file is scaleable and the detail was very good for this type of machine. This is from the original scanner "This took 13 1/2 hrs to scann in and took up 3400 kp or 1/2 of the card." so it must be pretty detailed.

Dave Jones
01-31-2007, 5:27 PM
13-1/2 Hrs.!! Yeow!

Can it be exported in a format that other software can use? Like shades of gray in a bitmap, or a 3D file format like DXF?

It would be interesting to try lasering in 3D using a shape scanned from a physical object.

Ed Newbold
02-01-2007, 8:35 AM
The CarveWright scanning probe opens up the world of 3D scanning to anyone... Didn't someone last month mention that this machine is also available from Sears? What was the sears brand name for it? I'm also wondering if Sears carries this probe.

Cheers,

Dave Jones
02-01-2007, 11:04 AM
It's the Craftsman CompuCarve

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00921754000

Danny Nichols
04-21-2008, 10:31 AM
MAN, the reviews of this product on the above web site are really, really bad!!!!!!!!!

Nathan Camp
04-21-2008, 1:13 PM
MAN, the reviews of this product on the above web site are really, really bad!!!!!!!!!

Danny, most of that discussion was over a year ago. There had been more dicussion in the CNC forum, but if you really want to check out what people say about it, go to the carvewright web page and select forums.

nathan

AL Ursich
04-21-2008, 1:35 PM
Sears and LHR the maker of CarveWright / Compucarve have had a little falling out at the moment. Nothing firm but if you want one contact www.carvewright.com (http://www.carvewright.com) directly. 800-573-1226

I have 2 and I am very happy with them. All this was done with it.

AL

I post under digitalwoodshop on the Carvewright forum.

Nathan Camp
04-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Al,

You always do great work. I'm very happy with my Carvewright, (but sssshhhh, we are in the wrong forum:p)