PDA

View Full Version : You guys asked for it:WIP

John Miliunas
11-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Some of you may remember a previous post a little over a week ago. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=4895

At that time, there was some interest in seeing some progress pics so, you asked for it. Here they be.

First and foremost, excuse the mess, but it is, after all, Work In Progress.

Hey, the place is starting to fill up! Hmmm...Might need a bigger shop! :rolleyes: A couple things to note: First, you may recall some of the phenomenal lighting in there before. I decided that my power utility company didn't need as much $$ as I was giving them for the little return, so I started installing some more efficient lighting. As soon as the rest of the DC ducts are up, I'll fill in with more lights, but didn't want to work around them with the ducts. There's also more than just bare concrete in all the work areas. I picked up a whole schmidthouse full of those interlocking pads (2'x2' squares) at Sam's club and strategically placed them around all the machine and bench areas. What a foot and back saver those things are!

All in all, I think I'm accomplishing what I set out to do, that primarily being, develop a decent work flow without crowding too much in any one workstation area. Long ways to go, but it's getting there. Comments, critiques, suggestions, etc... are welcome. Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

Tom Sweeney
11-24-2003, 10:25 PM
. . . Trick photography or something? Did you take the week off work & work 24 - 7 to get all that done in a week? I don't know what to say - I barely have enough energy to open the shop door a tnight & you did all this in a week?????

It's really looking like a shop John - I'm sure you'll make a few changes along the way for more efficiancy - but it looks great to me.

John Miliunas
11-24-2003, 10:34 PM
. . . Trick photography or something? Did you take the week off work & work 24 - 7 to get all that done in a week? I don't know what to say - I barely have enough energy to open the shop door a tnight & you did all this in a week?????

It's really looking like a shop John - I'm sure you'll make a few changes along the way for more efficiancy - but it looks great to me.

Thanks Tom! No, it's all smoke 'n mirrors. Really! Actually, if you recall the initial shop post, I did fess up and indicate that those were pics of what I started with when we first accepted custody of the property. What you see here is closer to 6 weeks-worth. In all fairness to ME, though, much of it is after-real job hours, with many interuptions to do LOML stuff in the house. Admittedly, I did have a few all-dayers in there, a few of which were even back-to-back. Energy? Yeah, really pooped by the end of a few of those nights, but when you start seeing the fruits of your labor, the old adrenalin kicks in and you keep going. After all, it's a *worthy* cause, so "sacrifices" have to be made, heh?! :D :cool:

Don Abele
11-24-2003, 10:36 PM
John, I'll echo what Tom - I can't believe you did this in a week? You have shop gnomes??? :D If you can spare them for a few days, I could use them too. Seriously, it's look really nice.

Be well,

Doc

Bob Lasley
11-24-2003, 11:18 PM
Lookin' good John! You oughta be up to full steam before long and you can start posting some pics of something you built instead of all them new tools in that new shop makin' me more and more jealous!! :D

Seriously, it is shaping up and you should have a great shop to play....er...work in.

Bob

Bob Oswin
11-25-2003, 12:57 AM
Some of you may remember a previous post a little over a week ago. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=4895

At that time, there was some interest in seeing some progress pics so, you asked for it. Here they be.

. Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

Eat yer heart out Norm. :D

What a great place!

Bob

Lloyd Robins
11-25-2003, 1:58 AM
John, while we all love your shop (I for one am extremely envious.) You really do need to go to the house once in a while, so that you wife will continue to recognize your face and not call the police. :eek: This is of course in reference to the TV and entertainment center and the computer area shown in your shop pics. If you feel that you are over crowded, I will be glad to accept your surplus. Festool items and tablesaw accepted gladly. Seriously what a wonderful place to spend your time. Keep the pics coming. :)

Todd Burch
11-25-2003, 4:13 AM
OK, that's does it. I quit.

I've been in my shop for 2 years and it is not that organized. Todd.

Brad Schafer
11-25-2003, 7:51 AM
john, you have entirely too many toys.

b

Mark Hulette
11-25-2003, 7:51 AM
I'll have to admit I was thinking along with Tom- I was stunned you could get all that done in a week!! Still, even 6 weeks is an amazing feat! And I'll second what Lloyd said about the creature comforts and your wife not filing a missing persons report! BTW- Is that SMC prominently displayed on your monitor? Wipe off your nose and get back to work! :D

Seriously nice workspace you have there- finish it up so you can MAKE something that we can see. Good job

John Miliunas
11-25-2003, 8:29 AM
BTW- Is that SMC prominently displayed on your monitor?

Good catch, Mark! I was wondering if someone might notice that! My main unit is located upstairs (in the house) and happens to be relatively close to the shop, so I setup a wireless access point and threw up a Microsoft wireless unit on the shop box. Works great and is real handy for reference, placing online orders "on the fly" and just keeping an eye out on what my fellow Creekers' are up to! :cool:

Thanks again for all the rest of the comments. BTW, "house"? "Wife"? Oh. OH yeah! Sure. I remember them. The house is where I eat, sleep and shower. The wife is the one who keeps handing me those "to-do" lists... :D Seriously, LOTS of support from LOML. I even gifted her with my nearly-new PC 9.6v cordless and my good stud-finder, because she volunteered to do much of her own picture-hanging!
Gotta' love it! :cool:

Dan Bussiere
11-25-2003, 4:05 PM
John,
As everyone else has said, you have done an amazing job already. Can't wait to see what's next.
Dan

Rob Overton
11-25-2003, 5:03 PM
Mercy!! I kept looking for the "Mess". Where is it in that good looking shop?

Terry Hatfield
11-25-2003, 6:42 PM
Mercy!! I kept looking for the "Mess". Where is it in that good looking shop?

hehehehehehehehehe......John has been bitten by the clean shop bug. :D Keep up the good work John, the shop looks great.

Terry

Bob Marino
11-25-2003, 8:51 PM

First and foremost, excuse the mess, but it is, after all, Work In Progress.

Hey, the place is starting to fill up! Hmmm...Might need a bigger shop! :rolleyes: A couple things to note: First, you may recall some of the phenomenal lighting in there before. I decided that my power utility company didn't need as much $$ as I was giving them for the little return, so I started installing some more efficient lighting. As soon as the rest of the DC ducts are up, I'll fill in with more lights, but didn't want to work around them with the ducts. There's also more than just bare concrete in all the work areas. I picked up a whole schmidthouse full of those interlocking pads (2'x2' squares) at Sam's club and strategically placed them around all the machine and bench areas. What a foot and back saver those things are!

All in all, I think I'm accomplishing what I set out to do, that primarily being, develop a decent work flow without crowding too much in any one workstation area. Long ways to go, but it's getting there. Comments, critiques, suggestions, etc... are welcome. Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

I can really only echo what the others have said.
Great job, looking forward to seeing the finished product, though this is much more finished than my garage/shop by about a factor of ten!

Bob

Jim Becker
11-25-2003, 9:20 PM
Wow! That's really turning out to be an awesome shop, John. I wish I had that much clear, uninhibited space to work with...

John Schreiber
11-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Seriously, LOTS of support from LOML. I even gifted her with my nearly-new PC 9.6v cordless and my good stud-finder, because she volunteered to do much of her own picture-hanging!

I would never give my wife her own stud finder and drill. If I gave her that, what would she need me for? (And I mean that purely from a picture hanging point of view.)