PDA

View Full Version : What Do you Get per Hour?

Roger Manning Jr.
01-25-2007, 6:44 PM
Hello,
I'm a lic. contractor in California, I am a finish carpenter and cabinet installer.
I raised my Hr. rate the 1st of the year from $45 to $52. Cabinet install I get $25 lin. ft. for base cabs. $25 lin. ft for uppers and $50 for full ht. cabs. that includes install of sub tops and any mouldings that go with the job.
One of the cabinet shops that I do work for says that my Hr. rate is to high. I don't think so, I think $65 to $75 is more like it for a Lic. contractor.
Any of you in California like to reply?
Thanks , Roger

Robert Waddell
01-25-2007, 9:11 PM
Roger,
You will get more of a useful answer for this question under the Business and Management forum over at Woodweb These guys on here are mostly hobiest and not doing cabinet work. My rate is close to yours, but I don't do cabinets or live in your area. I would think you are on the cheap side for your area. I've found that a lot of folks think anything over free is too high
Rob

Joe Pelonio
01-26-2007, 8:08 AM
My uncle is in Concord CA, and has been a carpenter there with a "one man" business for many years. In fact I used to work for him part time when a teenager and learned a lot from him. Mostly small remodelling and repair jobs. I was chatting to him about 2 years ago at an aunt's 90th birthday party and at that time he was charging $55/hour and telling me how much less he was than others in the area.

Tim Wagner
01-26-2007, 8:49 AM
I've found that a lot of folks think anything over free is too high

If this wasn't a wood working forum, i'd swear you were talking about being an automechanic.

Some folks think that the world owes them whatever they need for free.

Joe Pelonio
01-26-2007, 9:09 AM
If this wasn't a wood working forum, i'd swear you were talking about being an automechanic.

Some folks think that the world owes them whatever they need for free.
Not the same at all, our local auto mechanic charges $88/hour.

Tim Wagner
01-26-2007, 9:19 AM
Not the same at all, our local auto mechanic charges $88/hour.

well i was just reffering to the attitude some have. Our rate is the same. 83$/hr. I almost don't like to admit what i do because of all the bad seeds, but just so everyone don't hate me, this is how i charge.

If the book time on a job is 2 hrs, then thats the most i charge for labor, even if it take me three, but if book time is 1 hr, and it takes me 15 min, then i only charge for .5 hrs, but thats jus me, because i need to sleep at night.

sorry for highjacking the thread. please continue.

Tim.

Chris Padilla
01-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Roger,

*Where* exactly in California are you? Fill out your member info a tad more.

Curt Harms
01-26-2007, 11:03 AM
If the book time on a job is 2 hrs, then thats the most i charge for labor, even if it take me three, but if book time is 1 hr, and it takes me 15 min, then i only charge for .5 hrs, but thats jus me, because i need to sleep at night.

sorry for highjacking the thread. please continue.

Tim.

Perhaps You could apply for endangered species status:eek: :D There sure ain't many who think like that.

Roger Manning Jr.
01-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I guess I was not clear with my post. I bid almost all my work, sometimes you have to go with t&m, I would say only 5% of the work I do is t&m.

Roger