PDA

View Full Version : Finished Powder Horn turnings ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
01-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Here are the completed turnings assembled on the powder horn I finished today. It sure is fun to be able to design and then turn your own plugs and tips. I went with a high gloss finish, walnut plug and tip, brass acorn filler and brass nails. After hours of scraping, sanding, buffing and polishing, there's not a finish mark on it! I wish I could finish my other turnings as well. It's sealed with beeswax before assembly to make it moisture tight. Now to determine what to scrimshaw on it. I want to do the next one with turned antler tips. Thanks for looking.

Ron

TYLER WOOD
01-25-2007, 12:29 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Jaw hits ground in drool stuppor!!!

I love it!

01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I decided to go with just a plain dark leather strap to try to match the walnut pieces.

Ron

Jonathon Spafford
01-25-2007, 12:53 PM
That is simply gorgeous... I love it! That would definitely be something to be proud of hanging over your fireplace. How long did that take you and where did you get the horn??
You really did an outstanding job!!

Jon Shively
01-25-2007, 1:04 PM
That is beautiful. We just dehorned calves this week early, yearlings so not even a third that size (thank goodness). Great job and it is amazing what possibilities open up by owning/using a lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2007, 1:29 PM
Wow Ron! Absolutely beautiful work! You must love what you are doing as it really shows in your design and finish! Seriously nice work!!

01-25-2007, 1:38 PM
How long did that take you and where did you get the horn??

The raw horns I have now, I bought from Curt Wilburn at Friendship, Indiana during the NMLRA National Shoot, before I moved to Virginia. I still have a stash to work with. You can find some at Track-Of-The-Wolf on line if you want. It takes me about 16 hours to complete a horn, from rough to polished. Then it depends on how much scrimshaw I do. I have one with a map of the Cheseapeake Bay on it that took me almost 30 hours to scrim, but it has a lot of detail to it and it's a fairly large horn. I'm enjoying doing the wood turning for the plugs now, too. It opens up all kinds of options.

Jon Shively
01-25-2007, 3:22 PM
Ron, thanks for that great link. Many horns available at Friendship? Had a Home Ec teacher that was always in the medals down there with her blackpowder rifle. Will maybe ask her to bring some back next year!

Skip Spaulding
01-25-2007, 3:38 PM
Ron , Outstanding work! Black powder is one more thing I'd like to try but my Wife says enough hobbies! May be I could sneek a powder horn in the turning and then I'd just have to use it! Would love to see pics of your other horns. Skip

Rick Smith
01-25-2007, 4:23 PM
Outstanding horn! What I have come to expect from you!

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2007, 5:13 PM
Holy Cow Ron that is absolutely beautiful. Wow. Nice job.

John Timberlake
01-25-2007, 9:34 PM
Great job. Think I should try one to go with my French and Indian War outfit. Any good references on how to do the scrimshaw? I would probably put something from Lake George region or the Little Tennessee River where my cousin went in 1762.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2007, 1:40 AM
Ron.....outstanding! Well done!

Jonathon Spafford
01-26-2007, 3:12 AM
Great job. Think I should try one to go with my French and Indian War outfit. Any good references on how to do the scrimshaw? I would probably put something from Lake George region or the Little Tennessee River where my cousin went in 1762.

Never read it myself, but here is a book! Looks like it might have some good stuff in it... http://www.amazon.com/Scrimshaw-Carve-Ivory-Blackie-Collins/dp/0940362015/sr=8-1/qid=1169798882/ref=sr_1_1/105-5865363-2746056?ie=UTF8&s=books
I imagine linking to Amazon is ok... in case the link gets deleted though by the mods, the book is called How to Scrimshaw and Carve Ivory by Blackie Collins.

John Hart
01-26-2007, 6:38 AM
Beautifully executed Ron!!

Philip Duffy
01-26-2007, 6:39 AM
If you think the powder horn looks great on the monitor, you will not believe what a piece of art it looks like when Ron is done with the scrimshaw. I had the pleasure of seeing and holding several of his pieces a couple years ago and I must say they are AMAZING. Well done, again, Ron. Phil

Keith Burns
01-26-2007, 8:41 AM
Wonderfull job on this Ron.:) :)