PDA

View Full Version : Well here's my 4th segmented vessel

Bill Wyko
01-25-2007, 11:32 AM
This one faught me all the way. My lack of experience was shining through this time. First I made the top beauty ring so thin you could see through it:mad: . Then it broke off the lathe twice:mad: :mad: . Then when I was cutting it off my base, I cut too high and left a big hole in the bottom. I did get ti down to 1/8 of an inch thick though. Thats the nice thing about segmenting Though. I can cut off a ring and start again. In the end for it being the 6th thing I've ever put on a lathe I think it came out ok. I welcome any coments and ideas.
P.S. My router was getting lonely so I had to put it to good use.:D

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2007, 11:45 AM
So, are you having fun yet?

Big difference between this form and the first! Great design patterns and contrasting wood colors! Very nice work - I am impressed!

Mark Pruitt
01-25-2007, 11:46 AM
This one faught me all the way.
Yeah, but you obviously WON that one!!! That's a very nice looking piece, and it's my favorite of the ones you've posted so far!

Bill Wyko
01-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys, It was a real booger to get it this thin. I noticed that when you're at about 3/16 thick it starts to sound different. When it came off the lathe I thought for sure it was going to be in pieces:eek: I guess sometimes it's better to be lucky than good:D Here's some more pics for you. Oh yea, it's 5 inches tall and has 367 pieces. Thanks again.

TYLER WOOD
01-25-2007, 12:27 PM
A BEAUTIFUL PIECE!!!!!!!

I may just be crazy (like my wife says I am), but I would have prefered the top beauty ring to be the same color as the center and bottom rings. The differnent colors in it to me detract a little. I think the pop of the whiter contrast compared to the different shades of tans would have been nice.

Actually you may have used the same wood, just different color in the same wood. If so please disregard the comments above. STILL A BEAUTIFUL PIECE!!!!!!!

Bill Wyko
01-25-2007, 1:49 PM
All of it was the same pieces of wood. I think most of the difference must be the flash of the camera. In person it all looks the same. Origonally the top ring was the same as the bottom ring but as you can see I cut through that one. I also found that the veneer did'nt like being cut at a shallow angle so thats why the top ring was changed. Also keep in mind I had never touched a lathe in my life until mid december. This is the 6th piece I've ever turned. I do appreciate your input and thanks for the compliments though. Absolutly no offence taken in any way:D
I just went back and looked at the pics and you're right, it does exagerate the contrast. If you look at the pic where I'm holding the unfinshed piece in my fingers thats more like what it looks like in person.

TYLER WOOD
01-25-2007, 2:19 PM
No offense meant, I was thinkning it may have been the camera angle or flash. That was the reason for the second paragraph. I love the piece with or without the color difference, and commend you on the fine work for only your 6th piece, or even if it was your 100th, it would still be a great piece. I have yet to venture into bowls yet, but when I do I hope my first few turn out as well as yours have. Congrats and keep the pics coming!

Paul Engle
01-25-2007, 2:39 PM
WTG Bill !!!:D Absolutely Great. Keep it up. I like the cope and pattern on the middle, great idea.Choice of woods is perfect.(Oak and walnut look good together also,cut the oak so it is always showing edge to get the rays, turns very nice and sands superb). Not too shabby for a beginner;) , keep up the good work. ( ido like the rings tho, mess one up > turn it off and reglue another one or if ya dont like the pattern ... ditto..) and the money you save on the kits .... is llike getting free tools:eek:

Andy Hoyt
01-25-2007, 3:21 PM
Great looking effort, Bill. I'm not usually a big fan of seg stuff (becuse it makes my head hurt) but that's not the case today.

Impressive use of a raised panel cutter too!

Bill Wyko
01-25-2007, 3:42 PM
Thanks again guys. Yea my router was almost in tears when the lathe showed up so I decided to let them play together.:D

Skip Spaulding
01-25-2007, 3:50 PM
Beautiful piece, Bill. You must have a lot of patience, think I probably would have given up! Skip

Bill Wyko
01-25-2007, 4:14 PM
Actually no. I usually start turning before the glue is dry so I get that cool racing stripe up my shirt and across the room:eek: I think there's a stripe across the floor, up the walls and across the ceiling:D As far as the segments go you can usually cut them up to 6 at a time. This vessel took me about a total of 8 to 10 hours. Now if I could get 400 or 500 bucks for it I might be able to make a buck or 2. Not likely though:( I probably won't ever get rich at it but I'll have a wealth of fun trying.

Bill Wyko
01-25-2007, 6:49 PM
I just want you all to know that you are all an inspiration. I personally feel that the work you all do with solid material is much more difficult than the segmented stuff. When I try the solid stuff I have a tendency to make the gouge catch and it usually digs a trench you could irrigate your fields with.:eek: I've made a couple of solid pieces and in walnut and curly maple that came out nice but not without a fight.:D

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Bill that is another a beauty. I just wish I had the patience to do something like that. Nice job.

Curt Fuller
01-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Man, that's a lot of cutting , glueing, sanding, not to mention the turning. And it turned out great. But if you're looking for suggestions, I think I wouldn't try to go quite so thin. I've never done anything with quite that elaborate of a design but I know after all that work in the glue up I wouldn't want to ruin it by cutting through the side. Plus it get's pretty fragile to handle when it's that thin.

It sure is pretty though.

Keith Burns
01-26-2007, 8:48 AM
Nice job on this one Bill. :) :) I'm curious how you can cut six segments at a time with any accuracy.

John Hart
01-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys, It was a real booger to get it this thin. I noticed that when you're at about 3/16 thick it starts to sound different.

Yeah...when I need to put my ear plugs in....that's a good sign that I'm almost too thin!!

Nice piece Bill. Way to stick with it.!

Bill Wyko
01-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Last night the LOML told me she wants a tall skinny one so I told her I need the table extension:D My birthday is tuesday so I'm hopeing that's on her list.

Bill Wyko
01-26-2007, 3:35 PM
I was'nt happy with the finsh so I re did it when I fixed the hole in the bottom. i still need to rub it out but I think it looks a little better now