PDA

View Full Version : Delta BS Question

Michael O'Sullivan
01-25-2007, 10:49 AM
I just received my Delta 348, and all seems good except I cannot for the life of me find the two set-screws that hold the motor pulley in place. They are not on the parts list, so I would have assumed that they would actually be in the pulley, but they are not there (nor are they in the plastic bag that the pulley came in).

Any thoughts before I trek off to the hardward store?

Will post pix after I finish assembly.

Howard Acheson
01-25-2007, 10:54 AM
They are probably metric so be sure you get the correct ones.

Michael O'Sullivan
01-25-2007, 12:08 PM
The manual says they should be 5/16, but I'll bring it along for a test fit.

Michael O'Sullivan
01-25-2007, 6:59 PM
I bought some set screws, and finally got the BS set up. If I could figure out how to post pix, I would.

All in all, I am very pleased. There are a couple of minor flaws, but the they don't seem too bad. FIrst, the lower blade cover door is a little bent, so it does not close cleanly -- I had to rubberband the knob to the pulley housing doorknob. Second, as the blade comes up to speed, there is a very noticable plasticky rattle --but it goes away after about 30 secs of running. I am not sure what is causing this -- maybe I have the pulleys slightly misaligned. Finally, the instruction manual suffers from some really poor illustrations, resulting in a little more guesswork and trial and error than I would like.

Paul Douglass
01-25-2007, 7:49 PM
Boy am I getting discouraged. I am planning on ordering a couple of new tools this year, a new bandsaw and a new table saw. I read this and other recent posts on new tools received and I see broken parts, parts missing and bent parts and I read "All in all, I am very pleased". For the price of new tools do we have to settle for that now?:(

Congrats on your new tool, by the way, I hate to be negative but I would expect everything to be right on a new tool. Do I expect too much?:confused:

Art Mann
01-25-2007, 8:06 PM
Boy am I getting discouraged. I am planning on ordering a couple of new tools this year, a new bandsaw and a new table saw. I read this and other recent posts on new tools received and I see broken parts, parts missing and bent parts and I read "All in all, I am very pleased". For the price of new tools do we have to settle for that now?:(

Congrats on your new tool, by the way, I hate to be negative but I would expect everything to be right on a new tool. Do I expect too much?:confused:
No, you are not expecting too much. There was a thread the other day in which a person was bragging on the great customer service at Sawstop because they sold him a saw with a bent fence and then replaced it. Such things are unavoidable, but Sawstop is certainly not worthy of praise just because they replaced a defective part. As a consumer group, we definitely are expecting far too little from the companies with whom we do business. JMNSHO.

Chris Rosenberger
01-25-2007, 8:50 PM

Paul,
In the past 2 weeks I had 2 Delta HD shapers & a Delta 348G band saw delivered. No parts were missing & nothing was damaged.
Chris

Corey Hallagan
01-25-2007, 8:59 PM
Michael, congrats on your new saw, enjoy it. I personally have never had a tool that I have bought been defenctive, broken, missing pieces or would not assemble or adjust properly other than a cheap Sears bench jointer. I would not think twice returning if I did. I expect a new tool to look and operate as new, or it goes back. If there is going to be a ding or a scratch or bent pieces... I will be the one to do it if it ever happens. Just my opinion....

Corey

Chris Rosenberger
01-25-2007, 9:00 PM
Michael,
The plasticky rattle is just that. It is the blade hitting the sides of the rear plastic gaurd. I have used the 14" Deltas for over 30 years & they all did it.

I bought some set screws, and finally got the BS set up. If I could figure out how to post pix, I would.

All in all, I am very pleased. There are a couple of minor flaws, but the they don't seem too bad. FIrst, the lower blade cover door is a little bent, so it does not close cleanly -- I had to rubberband the knob to the pulley housing doorknob. Second, as the blade comes up to speed, there is a very noticable plasticky rattle --but it goes away after about 30 secs of running. I am not sure what is causing this -- maybe I have the pulleys slightly misaligned. Finally, the instruction manual suffers from some really poor illustrations, resulting in a little more guesswork and trial and error than I would like.

Michael O'Sullivan
01-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Michael,
The plasticky rattle is just that. It is the blade hitting the sides of the rear plastic gaurd. I have used the 14" Deltas for over 30 years & they all did it.

It seems to have carved itself a little groove, because it has (knock on wood) stopped rattling.

I personally have never had a tool that I have bought been defenctive, broken, missing pieces or would not assemble or adjust properly other than a cheap Sears bench jointer. I would not think twice returning if I did. I expect a new tool to look and operate as new, or it goes back. If there is going to be a ding or a scratch or bent pieces... I will be the one to do it if it ever happens. Just my opinion....

If it were something important, I would agree, but the thing weighs over 300 lbs. It is not like you can pop it in the mail.

glenn bradley
01-26-2007, 9:31 AM
Mostly, yes. that is why you will sometimes see me 'go off' on minor problems reported with new tools. If I spend $1000 or $100, If the price is about right for a quality tool, I expect one and raise hell or go elsewhere if I don't get it. On the other hand I went through about a month of messing around with Orion to get my zipcode saw right but, I got it cheap. My dad always said; time or money, one way or the other - you're gonna spend.