PDA

View Full Version : Just when I was on a roll...

Frank Corker
01-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Just when I was on a roll... the world has fallen out of my bottom. I went to start a job this morning, had everything set up in Corel and turned on the laser. A loud bang and all the fuses 'tripped', I went and reset everything, turned on the power for the laser and nothing.

On the side where the main power lead plugs in there are two 'trip' fuses, all set correctly. Off came the panels and there was nothing visible. I contacted my Epilog dealer down in the South of UK and he advised me there was another 'trip' on the right hand side where the motherboard sits. I quickly checked and that was still in place. I rang him back and he thinks that the power pack right at the back must have blown.

After a couple of hours of desperation on my side and feeling like everything has gone down the pan, my dealer rang me back to advise that a replacement powerpack will be dispatched by Monday to me. My biggest fear at this point was the fact my warranty ran out on the machine in October. Just how much is a powerpack going to set me back?

Then came the only bit of good news for the whole day, Epilog have said they will replace it free of charge. Now just how great are they? I am so pleased with their response it only goes to add to my trust that I have in them, there are many companies who would have hit me with a massive bill, my hat goes off to them.

THANK YOU EPILOG you have restored my faith in big businesses.

Obviously at this point I have no guarantee that the problem lies with the powerpack, it might be the motherboard and god forbid the unmentionable (don't mention it please!). So I have an agonising few days of waiting to do and the frustration cannot be over expressed. My big concern however is why it happened in the first place? Shouldn't the in-line 'trips' have stopped this from happening? I'd value any information forthcoming from anyone else who may have had the same experience as I am having right now.

Joe Pelonio
01-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Frank,

The fact that they are willing to replace the power supply free may mean that there is a known problem with some of them. Hopefully that is the problem so you can get back up and running without any expense. I'd thingk (guess?) that the breakers are meant to protect the power supply from an overload caused by a problem such as a stuck motor. A problem with the power supply itself is more likely going to kick out your home breaker for the circuit the laser is pugged into.

I have had nothing but great service from Epilog technical support and customer service.

Rob Bosworth
01-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey Frank, the cirucit protections in these systems are to protect the circuits and compnents from a surge in power usually coming in as line voltage. Nothing can protect against quick, large spikes in power that are created from shorts in components. A lightning strike usually gets through all types of protections and ruins as much of the circuitry and components as it comes close to being in contact.

Let's hope that all that was all that was taken out with the short to the power supply.

Glad to hear Epilog is standing behind you on this.

Karin Voorhis
01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Frank,

I am so sorry to hear about your laser. wow that really is bad. I am glad the company is standing by you and all is well. I will be trowing some A+ POZ energey out your way..

Uma Duffy
01-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Our Epilog powerpack and motherboard died within days of the warranty expiration;Epilog and Joe, our rep were great about covering the cost and shipping out the parts immediately. But I've got to say...it gives pause to think that such an expensive piece of equipment can have such a mighty flaw. As a new shop, we weren't yet slammed with orders...but if that happened now..it would be awful. We have been on the lookout for an affordable used laser to have as backup. We knew we would have to have a second laser...we had just hoped that we could get ahead a year or two before having to go with the expense. I'm still creating a set aside for laser recharging...another maintenance cost I hadn't fully thought out. But I'm learning a lot about these details in this forum. Good luck Frank!

Ed Maloney
01-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I think I read somewhere that there was a batch of bad power supplies that were shipping with Epilogs. I'll be damned if I can remember the source though and if it's recent.

Shane Silcox
01-25-2007, 4:44 PM
Thumbs up to Epilog, it was their support that sold me on getting one. Hope everything turns out well Monday!

Frank Corker
01-25-2007, 7:57 PM
Firstly, thanks to all of you for you support and well wishes, they are appreciated in my depths of dispair. OMG I have got to get a life! I understand what you say Joe, the suspicion did cross my mind that it is 'not an uncommon experience', but still I admire them for just taking it on the chin regardless.

I'm sure like most of you out there, this is also a bit of a damn good hobby where getting paid is a bonus, I also suspect that such an occurence is never far from your minds when you come to pricing. We all know that quite often we under-charge for the service and the results and feedback are generally the true reward. I guess we have to bear it in mind.

Certainly right now I feel as though I have lost a limb. I'll keep you informed, I have been advised that the part could be here by Tuesday of next week and I pray that it is the right part.

Brent Vander Weil
01-26-2007, 9:33 AM
Frank-

I hope all falls into line with the replacement... does give me the shivers a bit thought when I think about the possibility of going at the laser full time. But on the other hand it sounds liek Eplilog is going the distance... SO glad to hear that.

Take care... I hope all goes well for you.

Brent

Joe Pelonio
01-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Certainly right now I feel as though I have lost a limb. I'll keep you informed, I have been advised that the part could be here by Tuesday of next week and I pray that it is the right part.

What the heck are you doing all day with no laser? Catching up on the gardening, painting the shop?

Frank Corker
01-26-2007, 6:51 PM
Heck no, I'm not that energetic. I have done an awful lot of sulking, tons of moping around and plenty of complaining so I think overall, I've been very busy. Actually I'm going down to London (thats a 300 mile journey which takes an horrific 5 and a half hours to do) lill'ol'englan is a damned sight bigger than you can imagine and the roads are scary with plenty of roadworks. I'm off to see if I can sell (getting my laser back assuming) my wares at a wedding fare. It has a great deal of potential. Plus it will take my mind off it a little

Frank Corker
01-31-2007, 9:55 AM
Just to update you, Epilog sent out a new powerpack, off with the back plug here plug there. Job done, power on and IT'S UP AND RUNNING!!!!!

I am so happy H A P P Y !!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah baby, that's what I'm talking about.

Thank you Epilog - great company and such a nice gesture. Big thank you to Identify.co.uk for the fast service - I never even got charged for the delivery

:D :D

Joe Pelonio
01-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Way to go Frank, now get to work!!:)

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-01-2007, 2:29 PM
Sorry to hear about all the trouble, but glad to hear you are all fixed and ready to go back to work.

God Bless, (Pslams 18:2)
James & Zelma
Inscriptions Of The Heart