PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Dust Collector Bag

Doug Collins
01-25-2007, 9:01 AM
Hey everybody, what's the preferred method of cleaning out the canvas bag on my dust collector?

In the past I've taken it out back, turned it inside out and beat the dickens out of it with a stick.

Is it ok to throw it in the washer? Does that impact it's efficiency?

Thanks.

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2007, 9:31 AM
Doug

I think it would depend on what type of bag you have. I have a Jet 650 Dc and upgraded the top bag to one of those 1 micron Shaker style bags. I did that a number of years ago and remember that there were washing instructions included when the new bag arrived. I did wash the bag once - gentle cycle if I remember correctly - but won't do it again. The Shaker style bag uses all the fibers to capture the dust - once washed the felt fibers matted and the bag wasn't as effective. Since then - and I know it is a pain - I have taken the bag outside, turned it in-side-out and rapped it against a tree for 20 minutes. I usually end up doing that once a week and if I could find and easier way that would be great!

Have thought about one of those cannister filters but can't see paying the same for a filter as I did for the entire DC. Plus, I am not so sure they would work with turnings as a lot of the time the wood is wet and I can only imagine the problems that could lead to with a cannister filter.

This is the type of bag I upgraded to: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10001

Hope this helps you out.

Dario Octaviano
01-25-2007, 9:55 AM
The way I do it is just tap the bag gently all around BEFORE removing the lower bag.

BTW, I line my lower bag with a heavy duty contractor trash bag (from Walmart) and just throw it away. Install a fresh bag and I am ready again.

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2007, 10:12 AM
I was told not to wash them because it will ruin it. It depends on the inside fibers to catch dust and when wash they will be matted to the fabric. I would just knock it out and put it back in service. Just my $1.298.

Mark Pruitt
01-25-2007, 10:44 AM
I agree with what Bernie said. Also, I've always been told that as a "coating" of dust builds on the interior surface of the bags, it serves as a filter--not a terribly efficient one, but still a filter.

Alex Yeilding
01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Since then - and I know it is a pain - I have taken the bag outside, turned it in-side-out and rapped it against a tree for 20 minutes. I usually end up doing that once a week and if I could find and easier way that would be great!

<snip>

This is the type of bag I upgraded to: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10001
Why are you cleaning it weekly? I thought the dustcake inside was spposed to improve the filtration, and it was designed to provide adequate air-flow even with that dist cake. Are you finding that the air flow is reduced if you don't do this periodic cleaning? How can you tell?

Dario Octaviano
01-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Doug

I think it would depend on what type of bag you have. I have a Jet 650 Dc and upgraded the top bag to one of those 1 micron Shaker style bags. I did that a number of years ago and remember that there were washing instructions included when the new bag arrived. I did wash the bag once - gentle cycle if I remember correctly - but won't do it again. The Shaker style bag uses all the fibers to capture the dust - once washed the felt fibers matted and the bag wasn't as effective. Since then - and I know it is a pain - I have taken the bag outside, turned it in-side-out and rapped it against a tree for 20 minutes. I usually end up doing that once a week and if I could find and easier way that would be great!

Have thought about one of those cannister filters but can't see paying the same for a filter as I did for the entire DC. Plus, I am not so sure they would work with turnings as a lot of the time the wood is wet and I can only imagine the problems that could lead to with a cannister filter.

Hope this helps you out.

This is what i upgraded to. http://www.grizzly.com/products/g5556

I only cleaned it twice in 2.5 years! And cleaning for me is just tapping it and replacing the bottom bags. Ofcourse I mostly turn pens then and initially have a pre-separator. It is out for now but I will put it back in. Bowls make a lot more shavings ;)

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Alex, I have the 4" hose located right behind my turning when doing spindle work and find it really works well and draws the air in and around the turning. In a few days of heavy use you can physically feel the difference in air flow. Right after it is first cleaned the air flow is such that it would try to draw your hand into the hose - when it starts to clog the shavings will actually sit on the tool rest and build up.

I try to get out and clean the bag every week to 10 days - weather providing. I usually rap it against a tree as the chips are embedded into the felt and have to be knocked loose. Shaking, at least for me, just doesn't remove them.

Alex Yeilding
01-25-2007, 3:15 PM
Interesting. I'm not a turner, so have not seen such a visible indication of air flow. Seems to me that this is an indication of poor design--if they say that the dust cake helps with filtration (as they do on the Rockler site), they should recommend a bag with enough surface area to allow hgih air flow even when caked.

Just my $02 worth.

George Tokarev
01-25-2007, 3:16 PM
The felt bags offer so many passageways that things precipitate, rather than get sieved out. Sort of like a river delta effect. That's also somewhat the case with the cake in a canvas, and why a mild shake is all you want. Filtration becomes finer and finer until you blow it off the collector from overpressure. Then you will probably need to eject the dust in reverse with compressed air to get the collector up to speed.

Don't wash the felt, and if you wash the canvas, do it at the carwash.

Doug Collins
01-25-2007, 3:32 PM
Good info.

I've got a canvas bag. I think I'll just go whack it with a stick and spray it off at the carwash when the weather warms up. It's still in pretty good shape. I was just wondering if there was a 'right' way to clean it out.

Makes sense that a coating of dust on the inside would improve the filtering ability up to the point that it reduces airflow and you lose effectiveness. (then you whack it with a stick)

Wish I could fix everything that way....

Ron Chamberlin
01-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I have one of the "portable" dust collectors from PSI, only one bag. When it gets fairly full, I dump the contents, turn it inside out, and clean it with the Shopvac canister vac. Lots less dust flying around the neighborhood and up my nose, and no weather dependancy.