PDA

View Full Version : Safe method of cutting pen blanks

Alan Tolchinsky
01-24-2007, 8:54 PM
on a 10" miter saw. I was thinking of building a wood "L" shape fence to prevent kick back. I need ideas on how to hold the blanks safely. Oh, this is the only saw I have in my shop right now. Any ideas on cutting blanks on a CMS appreciated.

Earl Reid
01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
I have cut a few thousand pen blanks on my table saw. I first used non slip push blocks. I had the blade set so it was just above the wood. Now I use the Gripper. works very well. You still have to use care when cutting.
Earl

Alan Tolchinsky
01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks Earl, The problem is I don't have a table saw where I'm at now. In my other shop I have a jig that I use on the ts that makes it safe. But here I only have a CMS and a drill press. Thanks. Alan

Earl Reid
01-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Sorry about that, I just noticed that you don't have a table saw. I don't think I would try it with a miter saw

Earl

John Hart
01-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Alan...If I was in your fix, I'd probably pin the blank down with a piece of scrap wood and some clamps. The blanks only need to be 5" or so, so a 10" saw should do it for ya. A little cumbersome though.

Tom Jones III
01-25-2007, 8:11 AM
As slow and tedious as it sounds the only way I would cut blanks on the CMS is by setting a stop block for the length, and depending on the length of the wood either hold it or clamp it. Finally bring the blade down, then turn off the blade and wait for it to stop before raising the blade.

Bobby Perry
01-25-2007, 8:19 AM
Have old 3 fingers from down the street do it for you.:D

Mark Pruitt
01-25-2007, 8:44 AM
Alan,
I'm not sure I totally understand your question. Are you saying that you have lengths of stock approximately 1" square and need to crosscut them to proper length? Or are you trying to cut a wider board down into 1" strips and then crosscut them to length? If the latter, my suggestion is "don't do it." If the former, it seems like your idea of an L-shaped fence should work.

Andy Hoyt
01-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Do not attempt to make a rip cut with a CMS. That's bad hockey, real bad.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Alan,
I'm not sure I totally understand your question. Are you saying that you have lengths of stock approximately 1" square and need to crosscut them to proper length? Or are you trying to cut a wider board down into 1" strips and then crosscut them to length? If the latter, my suggestion is "don't do it." If the former, it seems like your idea of an L-shaped fence should work.

Sorry I didn't make this clear. I have 5" long 3/4x3/4" wood I just want to crosscut them into the right lengths. I'm only crosscutting these pieces in half. Thanks for your help.

TYLER WOOD
01-25-2007, 12:51 PM
That's easy. Just set up a stob block on the saw, then you can use a hold down clap you can get at the BORG. Clamps on he the saw's lip for the bed and holds the piece down while your fingers are out of the way.

John Hart
01-25-2007, 8:29 PM
Yep...That's a different story. That's how I cross cut all my pen blanks Alan. Usually, I just hold them with my hand, but a c-clamp comes in handy for iffy pieces.

Bruce Boone
01-25-2007, 9:34 PM
Most pen blanks have a long side, maybe around 3.5" and a shorter side. I simply hold the long side with my left hand keeping fingers well clear, and cut to a pencil line with the miter saw. Don't use a stop block on the right because the wood will get pinched in there between it and the blade. The wood gets blown slightly clear of the blade when it's cut, so never catches for me. If you are not comfortable with that, you can stop the blade before raising the saw.

John Duck
01-26-2007, 6:11 PM
Allen, PSI has a jig for the miter saw to cut pen blanks. It works great !

John Duck