PDA

View Full Version : Shop Gloat

Neal Addy
01-24-2007, 8:43 PM
My Delta 50-760 Dust Collector finally arrived today! Man, is this thing big!

Next up, a Jet filtration system and Trend respirator. Can you tell I'm on a mission against dust?

The appetite of the vortex is insatiable. :rolleyes:

Brian McInturff
01-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Way to go Neal! Wait,................Somethings missing......................
.................................................. .................................................
Oh, the Picture!:D

Jim Ketron
01-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Would not do without my DC and Trend.
I also made some homemade air cleaners and love them too!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16395

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Congrats Neal. I got the HF DC, the PSI air cleaner, and the Trend. You are going to love'em when you get them all working together. I wouldn't trade mine. I have cut the dust laying around in the shop by about 90%.

John Hart
01-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Congratulations on your invisible DC Neal! Looking forward to seeing more of your transparent shop!;) :)

Neal Addy
01-24-2007, 11:31 PM
I could post a pic but it would be only of the box (kinda like Bruce, huh? Open the box, Bruce! :D). Too tired after work and honey-do's to get out there and put it together tonight.

This is a huge step for me. My dust control up to this point has been an open garage door and a Dust-Be-Gone. You can guess what I'm like after a long day in the shop. :(

John Hart
01-24-2007, 11:47 PM
..... You can guess what I'm like after a long day in the shop. :(

Yeah...just like me right now! I'm getting my nightly work duties done while covered in dust and myrtle burl shavings. I need a shower.:rolleyes:

Mark Pruitt
01-25-2007, 8:47 AM
My Delta 50-760 Dust Collector finally arrived today!
Neal,
That just sucks.
Congratulations!

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2007, 9:46 AM
Neil, Congrats!

Couple of things...

When you decide to get the Trend, look up the thread here and get the info for making your own battery. I ordered the extra battery (around $40) when I ordered my Airshield and could have saved some bucks. Got the parts and made my own battery holders ($2 per holder), use rechargable AA batteries and only takes 1 hour to recharge. Trend battery takes 14 hours to charge if you can believe it.

Had to look up your DC to see what it was and they had this listed in the info - "Snap-in bag rings eliminate need for cam-over-lock style clamps." What is that all about? Just wondering...

Neal Addy
01-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Beats me. I hope it's a good thing. I did quite a bit of shopping around and talking to people. This unit seemed to get quite a few good recommendations so I thought I would take the chance. I'm hoping it will do well in my garage shop. I only have two lathes and a bandsaw right now, so I plan for it to be mobile. Most of the work will be on the 1442.

Mark, I sure hope it sucks.

Doug Goodman
02-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I have been considering this machine and hemming & hawing and hemming & hawing some more, and would love to get an honest opinion after a week of use. The 50-850 looks better with the separate fan unit, compared to the 50-760 with it internal, I already have an AP 400, the 650 cfm little cousin, mine works good, but would like the higher cfm for lathe work, and the 50-850 immediately needs an upgrade to a 1 micron bag.
thanks
Doug

Mark Schwobel
02-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Nice purchase.

I was just about to buy that Delta dust collector from Lowes for my Ridgid table saw (TS2400LS) and my old Craftsman 12" band saw, but I was hesitating.

This whole "Lathe thing" happened with the Jet mini lathe, so I'm sure that just have to maintain with the shop-vac until mid summer . . . . at least.

Mark

Mark Schwobel
02-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Neal,

Have you looked at this idea for making your dust collector a two-stage system?

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-760-Horsepower-Vertical-Collector/dp/B00078V9KA

Granted, I've never used one and have only read a little of what's out there, but this concept and it's apparent ease of adaptability with the Delta 50-760 frame (no increase in footprint) was the main reason I was looking to get that dust collector.

I believe that this unit, with the collection can, would be particularly beneficial with a lathe. Just a thought

Mark

PS: I attached a furnace filter to a box fan in the garage and I'm amazed at what it catches after a work session. I'm gonna experiment more with "home-made" air cleaning.

Neal Addy
02-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Mark, I believe you are referring to the reviewer who used a small separator that fit under his DC unit. I picked up the separator lid from Woodcraft yesterday for use on a 30-gal trash can. Mine won't fit but it will hold more chips so I guess its a trade-off.

I just got the DC put together yesterday. Haven't even turned it on yet. Got hung up on whether to ground or not, and if so how? Seems like most folks say "don't bother".

I'm hooking up the hoses and doing the layout today. This is a simple system with only the separator and one pickup for the lathe.

Still gotta hang 53 lbs of Jet filter box from the ceiling. But the Trend is charged up and ready to go. Looking forward to using this stuff rather than wasting a nice weather day putting it together.

I need to turn something!!

Keith Burns
02-04-2007, 12:49 PM
One other thing to consider. Use as much hard piping as possible. Flexable hose is a great restrictor of power and loss of air. Again grounding is a waste of time and $. One last thing, no pics it didn't happen.:D

Neal Addy
02-04-2007, 11:44 PM
DC is hooked up and works (almost), air filtration box is hung over the lathe and running sweet, and the Trend is juiced up and ready for action. Now if the weather holds up I can finally get to use them.

The only snag: the DC trips the breaker on startup. I discovered that the outlet is a 15 breaker and the DC needs a 20 (thanks Jim). The starter on the Delta overloads it. Looks like I've still got some work to do.

Man! This Jet filter sure circulates the air! My garage shop is breezy with it running. May be nice in the summer heat but I won't be running it much while I'm out there in the winter.