PDA

View Full Version : How do you track router bits?

Burt Alcantara
01-24-2007, 2:17 PM
I don't use my router very much but when I do, I use it alot. I don't have many bits but I have to keep them in the original container otherwise I have no idea what it is.

All of the plans for storing router bits are holes to stick the bits into. For me, this presents a problem. How do I know one from the other. Presently, I only have about 5 bits. Eventually, I will buy more as I find the router to be a wonderful tool.

Since I don't have any storage solution, they sit on a shelf always in the way of something. The markings on the bit are part numbers. The CMT bits have length and diameter so sticking these in a drawer is as useful as hiding them under the bed.

Pete Brown
01-24-2007, 2:30 PM
I have a box full of holes :)

I can usually tell one from another just by looking at them. Except for one inexpensive Woodcraft set, I only buy them when I know I have a project coming up that needs a particular bit.

Pete

Dan Gill
01-24-2007, 2:33 PM
You could label the holes. Or you could glue a small cut-off piece of wood profiled or cut or routed with each bit nex to its hole. Or consider drilling the hole IN the cut-off piece. Me, I just stick them in holes without labels.

Scott Loven
01-24-2007, 2:37 PM
I keep all of mine in a fishing tacle box with other router junk in the botom.
Scott

Dave Falkenstein
01-24-2007, 5:47 PM
I keep my router bits in a muti-drawer cabinet - the kind you can buy at any home store, with small drawers and plastic dividers. The cabinet hangs on the end of my router table. The drawers are labeled. I have several dozen bits and can locate the one I need in seconds.

Mike Cutler
01-24-2007, 5:58 PM
I keep all of mine in a fishing tacle box with other router junk in the botom.
Scott

Bingo! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

David Cramer
01-24-2007, 7:06 PM
Bingo Squared!!! At least for now anyways. One day, a shallow wall storage display type of cabinet will be built. Until then......................

Dave

Jim Young
01-24-2007, 7:11 PM
I have my bits in a router table. They have thire special location, that is the way I know what the bit is. For the most part my projects get accent treatment based on the bits I have on hand, so the exact profile ID isn't required.

http://www.simoli.net/images/Woodworking/Shop/Shop%20Tools/6rtbits.JPG

More pics here (http://www.simoli.net/pages%20woodworking/Shop%20pages/shop.htm).

Bruce Wrenn
01-24-2007, 10:12 PM
MLCS will sell you the wooden box that their bit set (66 piece, I think) comes in for less than $30. It is over in the back of the catalogue.