PDA

View Full Version : Finished Multi Axis Turning

Bob Opsitos
01-24-2007, 1:19 PM
6-3/4" high, from a walnut branch, with curly maple base.

Turned multi axis and then filed/sanded to get the transitions smooth.

Base turned after the spindle and glued via tenon left on spindle.

Watco Danish Oil and buffed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/MultiAxisTurning4.jpg

Thanks
Bob

Neal Addy
01-24-2007, 3:19 PM
Bob, this is great! Very sculptural.

I'd have liked to have been watching over your shoulder when you did this.

Keith Burns
01-24-2007, 3:33 PM
Very interesting Bob. Well done. Almost looks like polished stones.:)

Bob Hallowell
01-24-2007, 3:40 PM
Bob,
That's really cool I Rike it!

Bob

John Hart
01-24-2007, 4:07 PM
Oh....you know what would be really cool? Find an old lava lamp and dump the stuff out and put it over the top of that piece!

Maybe not.:o

Very cool as is Bob!! I like it. :)

Ernie Nyvall
01-24-2007, 6:58 PM
Very cool Bob.

Bill Wyko
01-24-2007, 7:06 PM
Oh....you know what would be really cool? Find an old lava lamp and dump the stuff out and put it over the top of that piece!

Maybe not.:o

Very cool as is Bob!! I like it. :)
I was wondering what that reminded me of.:D Thats a cool piece, i like it, nice job.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-24-2007, 8:30 PM
Go for it Bob, Great Job!:)

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2007, 9:43 PM
I like that! Nice job.

corey

Gordon Seto
01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Bob,

This is a very interesting piece, well done. You also did a fine job on the finishing which is not easy.

Gordon

BTW, have you tried on the larger pieces?

John Chandler
01-24-2007, 10:34 PM
That is a real neat turning.

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2007, 10:57 PM
That is super cool Bob. Awesome.

Bob Opsitos
01-25-2007, 8:55 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments. The turning part was fairly straightforward. Turn a little, change the point at which the tailstock held the wood, repeat. Smoothing the transitions was all rasp and sandpaper. A lot of work.

Gordon, I've one that waiting sanding/finishing that's a little bigger, but I haven't had a chance to do one in the larger sizes we had discussed.

I need to work on getting the shapes pleasing to me without all the hand shaping of the transitions with the lathe stopped. While it looks nice, I really like the sculpted look, it's a ton of work. I need to print out some of Escoulen's images to have something to reference the transition shapes.

thanks
bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2007, 9:36 AM
Very interesting turning Bob! Can tell you put a lot of time into the finish which looks really nice.

So, maybe I missed this info somewhere, did you use the Escoulen chuck system? Any comments on multi-axis turning? Any photos showing your work while in process? Lots of questions but sure looks like it would be a challenge... and fun!

Bob Opsitos
01-25-2007, 9:53 AM
Steve I just used a 4 prong drive center and a standard cup center. I use a Oneway Safedriver now, more out of paranoia then necessity. Given the cost of the Escoulen chuck I wanted to feel out the hole multi-axis thing and get a feel for what size I could work in. I prefer to work in a medium to large scale.

Basicially all you do is change the position of the cup center on the end of the blank. You can change the position of the drive center as well, but I've not gotten to that yet. No in process photo's as this was the first I had ever done. I really wasn't expecting it to turn out worthy of a picture.

thanks
bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Would be intersted in seeing your setup. Have thought about the Escoulen chuck but the price puts in on the back burner - so many other toys...ah, tools that I would like to have first.

Jon Shively
01-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I know I need glasses, but I can't see anything but a blue box with a question mark in it.

Bob Opsitos
01-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I know I need glasses, but I can't see anything but a blue box with a question mark in it.

Jon try the link directly
img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/MultiAxisTurning4.jpg

bob

Lee DeRaud
01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Would be intersted in seeing your setup. Have thought about the Escoulen chuck but the price puts in on the back burner - so many other toys...ah, tools that I would like to have first.Has anybody tried this using one of these: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1082 ?
Looks to be about $65 bucks total (chuck + adapter).

Jon Shively
01-25-2007, 1:16 PM
Well, just tried again, THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!

Skip Spaulding
01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Wonderful project, can see where it would take time. Looks like you have got some of us thinking about giving it a try. Thanks!

Gordon Seto
01-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Has anybody tried this using one of these: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1082 ?
Looks to be about $65 bucks total (chuck + adapter).
Lee,

I am afraid it is too risky doing multi-axis turning with that Grizzly chuck. That is for metal work. It doesn't grip well even with concentric woodturning because of the 4 tiny contact points. By nature of MA turning, we have to deal with an off balance blank. Even with the tailstock engaged, the chances of getting hurt is too great.
Tunging between centers like Bob did is much safer.

Gordon