PDA

View Full Version : Question: What filter set up for Fein Vac

Mark Singer
01-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I have the Turbo II and my cloth filter broke at the plastic rim which I heard is a common problem. After doing a bit of reasearch I went with a 1 Micron canister cartridge and paper bags which cost about $43 for the kit including the plastic flange and screw. This also requires that you use paper filter bags which are about $3.50 each and one came with the $43 kit. I felt the Hepa filter at $85 was not a great investment since some of the dust is coming right off the sander anyway....so the difference between 1 micron and finer is not the major source of dust filtration. Tje other choice is the cloth repacement which is about $50 . This leaves the dust in the tank and is a bit messy....Thoughts?...What do you do?

Dan Larson
01-24-2007, 1:21 PM
Mark, I use the 1 micron filter along with the bags in my Turbo II. I like this set-up over the cloth filter... it's nice to be able to just pull out the bag when it gets full & toss it in the trash... quick & clean! It takes me a few months to fill up a bag, so the cost of the bags isn't such a big deal to me. When I placed the order for the filter kit, the extra cost of the HEPA filter didn't seem worth it to me at the time... although I think this may have been misplaced frugality on my part:confused: ... it's hard to go wrong with a better filter.

Dan

Steve Roxberg
01-24-2007, 1:23 PM
Mark,

I use the 1 micron filter with the paper bags and am happy with it. I don't generate tons of dust and only have to replace the bag a few times a year. so I don't sweat the price of the bags.

I have the cloth one that came with my unit and it's never been used. Someone could probably talk me out of it.

Dick Latshaw
01-24-2007, 1:24 PM
I too recently purchased a Fein vac after the bearings in my 35 year old Craftsman shop vac finally gave up. (I had been looking for an excuse to get rid of that noisy thing.) I have the one micron filter cannister installed on mine also, although I don't use a paper bag. When it's time to dump it, I just take it outside. Cleaning the dust off the filter makes enough of a mess that I don't want to do it indoors. The cloth filter bag is on a shelf, waiting for the next time I need to pick up some drywall sandings or the like.

"Gary Brewer"
01-24-2007, 1:28 PM
Mark: I just bought my son for Christmas the Fein Turbo II and the 1 micron filter. Same reasons as yours. It was that or the Festool and the Fein was better priced. He's very happy with it.
Gary

Noah Katz
01-24-2007, 1:53 PM
I just got the Turbo III and I ditched the cloth filter for bags and a Cleanstream filter that I got at Sears for $35; it's the red band size.

The Cleanstream is HEPA-rated and made from Goretex; you can tap it to clean or just rinse it off w/water.

I don't know if the TII and III use the same cloth filters, but you can have mine for the shipping cost.

I did fill it up once with MDF turnings before I switched.

JayStPeter
01-24-2007, 2:00 PM
I also use the CleanStream. It's a friction fit, so you tape over the bolt hole, but it works well. I'll also offer my T2 cloth filter (never used) for shipping cost ... if I can find it.

Glenn Clabo
01-24-2007, 2:06 PM
I switched to your setup recently because of the dust in our bathroom rebuild. The drywall tear out and sanding was my main concern. I have half the room torn out and it works great. I think they sell a replacement ring...but I don't know how that would work. I really like the bags...and don't ever intend to use the cloth one... unless we have a flood.

Jim DeLaney
01-24-2007, 2:34 PM
Mark,
I use the one micron filter - actually a CleanStream Goretex filter intended for a Sears vac - and the paper bags. The 12 gallon size ShopVac bags - available at HD, Lowes, etc. - fit the Turbo II, too. They're significantly cheaper than the Fein bags.

Roy Wall
01-24-2007, 2:41 PM
Mark -

I have the 1 micron cannister for the Turbo II....but have never used it!:eek: I think it's because I don't have any bags. Instead, I use the std cloth that came with it. It is a giant mess for sure. I roll it out to the edge of our driveway and dump it in the trash....then beat the bag on the grass to clean - all the while staying UP WIND!! What do the neighbors say behind closed doors......:eek: :confused:

As others have mentioned - I suppose I don't dump it but 3-4x a year....so the $3.50 bags may not be that pricey.

I agree with your logic on the HEPA.

Additionally, I called FEIN to ask what they thought about sanding with a Festool (IF it would hurt the motor ). The CS rep said the regular CLOTH bag would be sufficient - only FINE sand like DRYWALL dust would warrant the need for the 1 micron + Bags. So - the bottom line is the Cloth bag is good enough....if you don't mind the mess of emptying!

I also have a MINI TURBO with a 1 micron filter but no bags OR Cloth filter.... I guess I better stock up at the KC WW show if they have deals!

Hoa Dinh
01-24-2007, 3:13 PM
For those who offer the Fein cloth filter, I'd like to take you up on that. I need one for my Mini-Turbo.

The cloth filter I need is part #913022GA5, the same as for the Turbo I (Turbo II and III use 913025GA5).

Let me know.

Thanks.

Curt Harms
01-24-2007, 3:14 PM
Paper filter and Genie vac bags. The Fein bags hold a lot but them puppies ain't cheap..

Lou Miller
01-24-2007, 11:46 PM
I used the cloth filter with my TIII for about the first 4 years I had the vac. My vac gets used a ton, I probably dump it out 2-3 a month and its was pretty full. I noticed the performance of the vac really starts to go downhill the more you dirty up the cloth filter. I would blow mine out with compressed air all the time and it still didn't help all that much.

I recently switched to the 1 micron filter and the bag. Three things are different now. The vac is a little louder than it was with the cloth. Its still much quieter than all other vacs, but there's a noticable increase in sound. The vac is definitely more powerful with the 1 micron filter on it. Its possible that I could have just got a new cloth filter and had the same results too, but the vac is working like it did when it was new again. The third thing is that emptying the vac is no longer a horrible chore. Buying the bags kind of stinks though.

Overall, I'm really glad I finally did away with the cloth filter.

Jim Dailey
01-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi Lou,

"Your right!!!"

I guess by both our post counts, neither one of us post as much on SMC as we do on Woodnet;)

jim

Lou Miller
01-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi Lou,

"Your right!!!"

I guess by both our post counts, neither one of us post as much on SMC as we do on Woodnet;)

jim

I basically have only been a lurker here for whatever reason. Mostly due to lack of time to post on two boards. My interest in Woodnet has really dropped off though and I figured I might hang out here for a bit. Hope nobody minds...

Noah Katz
01-25-2007, 2:01 AM
"I also use the CleanStream. It's a friction fit, so you tape over the bolt hole, but it works well."

I put in a 3/8-16 bolt after running a tap through the hole, if you can call it that.

Noah Katz
02-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I guess Mark is ditching his Fein, so my TIII bag filter is still up for grabs.

First dibs to who the previous number 2 respondant was (sorry, don't remember who).

lou sansone
02-04-2007, 6:31 AM
Mark -

I have the 1 micron cannister for the Turbo II....but have never used it!:eek: I think it's because I don't have any bags. Instead, I use the std cloth that came with it. It is a giant mess for sure. I roll it out to the edge of our driveway and dump it in the trash....then beat the bag on the grass to clean - all the while staying UP WIND!! What do the neighbors say behind closed doors......:eek: :confused:

As others have mentioned - I suppose I don't dump it but 3-4x a year....so the $3.50 bags may not be that pricey.

I agree with your logic on the HEPA.

Additionally, I called FEIN to ask what they thought about sanding with a Festool (IF it would hurt the motor ). The CS rep said the regular CLOTH bag would be sufficient - only FINE sand like DRYWALL dust would warrant the need for the 1 micron + Bags. So - the bottom line is the Cloth bag is good enough....if you don't mind the mess of emptying!

I also have a MINI TURBO with a 1 micron filter but no bags OR Cloth filter.... I guess I better stock up at the KC WW show if they have deals!

I also just use the cloth bag and beat it on my wood storage buiding, up wind. has worked for the past 5 years without any problem

lou

David Giles
02-04-2007, 2:17 PM
Noah, I'd like the filter if it comes available.