PDA

View Full Version : Corel Issue

George M. Perzel
01-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi All;
This is something which has been bugging me for awhile- always worked around it but it's a pain in butt.
Sometimes when I open a dwg or pdf file in Corel (using X3 currently), the vector images contain multiple lines, all on top of each other.It doesn't happen to the whole object, just parts which must be deleted by hand. This can be accomplished laboriously by:
1. Keep selecting/deleting the same object until there is only one left, or
2. Opening Object Manager, selecting the object, changing the line color of the selection, then deleting all but one of the objects in Object Manager.-also a laborious procedure.
Attached is an example- this sprocket gear has multiple images on top of each other in various sections but not in all. Anyone know of a fast way to delete all but one??
Thanks
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Doug McIntyre
01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
I've come accross this now and again. I selected one curve and move it a set distance to the right or left using the transformation tool. Repeat on each part until a complete image has been moved and then delete all remaining curves in bulk. A bit quicker that than the way you describe but still a pain.

Joe Pelonio
01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I have never seen that with a pdf, but always happens with DWG and DXF cad files. I think it's caused by the original designer's failure to close the points. Sometimes as many as 20 on top of each other.

What I do is select each top line/curve by holding shift and clicking each. Then I group them, copy into the clipboard, delete what's left, paste back and it's ready to cut.

Mark Winlund
01-24-2007, 12:22 PM
[quote=Joe Pelonio]I have never seen that with a pdf, but always happens with DWG and DXF cad files. I think it's caused by the original designer's failure to close the points. Sometimes as many as 20 on top of each other.

Bobcad is known to do this. Allycad (a free software) will generate gears without this problem.

Mark

Rodne Gold
01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
The nudge way as above is the easiest , easier to use the arrow keys than the transform tool , just set a nudge distance bigger then the object and select the part and hit the up , down , left or right arrow.
In X3 , you might sometimes be able to use either create boundary or the smart fill tool to create an entity that is closed and follows the contours of the original. Doesnt work in this case tho.
Try create boundary with complex vector clipart and you get a die-line round it , no breaking apart and welding etc.
Try the smartfill tool instead of shaping.

Jerry Allen
01-24-2007, 12:51 PM
There are a few things you can do but they will not correct some problems like curves not being joined to lines at the end.
When importing a dwg or dxf file always select Reduce Nodes in the Import dialog.
In this case. test1.cdr, there are a ton of extraneous connections besides the overlay of the arcs on the leaves of the gear.
There are two methods I would use here.
First, lock the center hole and cross hairs. Then select all the leaves; the whole gear. On the Property Toolbar, the one with the dimensions, the fifth icon from the right is the Simplify icon. Click it. Cleans it up pretty well.
The other thing to try is combining the leaves of the gear and then doing an offset using the Contour Docker. You can use zero or a known amount like .1. Then break the contour group apart in the Arrange menu and rescale as necessary.
I think the former method is somewhat cleaner.

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2007, 1:25 PM
I get one of these from time to time.. My work around, is simple! Don't use it!
I make it BIG, then export it as a Hi-Res Bit image, the use trace to recreate it.. You can then delete any odd outline you don't want, and reduce it to the size you require and cut or engrave it as needed.. Beats pulling your hair out finding tiny nodes, or tossing stuff in the garbage when it cuts someplace surprising:eek:

George M. Perzel
01-24-2007, 7:25 PM
Hi All;
Thanks for your suggestions- all good ideas, but Jerry Allen's use of the Simplify command worked fabulous. I had forgotten about this command because everytime I used it before it was on a very complex object and it took forever- often stating the object was too complex.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Shaddy Dedmore
01-24-2007, 7:50 PM
I usually just use a macro I got from wOxxOm over at Oberon. I've only used it in X3.

Extract to "C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 13\Draw\GMS" or your equivalent.

I'd suggest saving your file just prior to use as I haven't tried every combination of uses yet, but it cleaned up your test file lickity split.

Shaddy

George M. Perzel
01-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Shaddy-works great!!
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Shaddy Dedmore
01-26-2007, 7:19 PM
I don't know how to edit attachments, so I'll just have to link to the slightly new version.

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/NoDupes.gms

Don't download the other previous ones.

Basically, all i added was a line that said "On Error Resume Next", a VBA way to skip troubled items. Not the best way around it, but I'm not competent enough to correctly handle all the different things we might throw at it.

Shaddy