PDA

View Full Version : Corel Question...

SteveKrim
11-24-2003, 3:20 PM
Here are probably the most hated 3 words of an IT person - "How do I"...

So, How do I take a scanned image and create a vector cutting image?

My wife has a scrapbooking die cut she would like on a couple different materials. I can scan it, but how can I get the lines converted to a vector format? (Am I saying this right???) It seems to me that you would have to run the .bmp that the scanner generates though some process that makes the lines true lines that can then be vector cut.

Thanks!

Steve

Noah Alkinburgh
11-24-2003, 3:30 PM
Steve I was just wondering how you were making out. Sounds like frustrated.

I found this <a href="http://www.torchmate.com/assistance/convert.htm">link</a> maybe it will help you in your scanning and converting process.

best of luck,
Noah

Keith Outten
11-24-2003, 6:28 PM
Steve,

Your question warrants a four chapter answer :)

Corel Draw has a complimentary program called Corel Trace which will work for converting lines from raster to vector. Corel Trace isn't easy to use but it is very comprehensive in that it provides multiple ways to convert graphics. I believe that your software included a separate manual for Corel Trace, my advice is to read the manual carefully.

I purchased a program called EuroVector, it is much easier to use then Corel Trace but I don't think it is as powerful. For very small graphics and logos EuroVector is quick and dirty and very easy to use.

There are other programs that are designed to assist you in raster to vector conversions, search the Web and look at as many programs as you can before purchasing...or stick with Corel Trace.

Aaron Koehl will most likely respond to your post, Aaron has a lot of experience with Corel Draw and Trace.

Stick with it Steve, vector work is the most difficult to master but it is not as difficult as you think right now. It gets easier!!!

Robert Hensley
02-21-2004, 9:46 AM
Here are probably the most hated 3 words of an IT person - "How do I"...

So, How do I take a scanned image and create a vector cutting image?

My wife has a scrapbooking die cut she would like on a couple different materials. I can scan it, but how can I get the lines converted to a vector format? (Am I saying this right???) It seems to me that you would have to run the .bmp that the scanner generates though some process that makes the lines true lines that can then be vector cut.

Thanks!

Steve

CorelTRACE is the simplist. The link use in the previous reply gave a good explanation of it's usage. Make sure that your object is UnGrouped before starting. Once you have the image into CorelDRAW, click on the SHAPE tool. The Shape tool Properties Bar appears, and you will see all of the options that allow you to edit the nodes. Go to the right, and find the icon 'Select All Nodes". (Short cut key is SHIFT+CTRL and click on one of the nodes). To the right of the Select All Nodes is Curve Smoothness. By clicking on the Curve Smoothness, a slider bar appears, that lets you reduce the number of nodes in your drawing automatically. Great tool, but make sure it doesn't distort your drawing.

I do a lot of wood cut outs and my wife does scrapbook and paper cutouts. For quality NOTHING beats tracing the .BMP image using the BEZIER tool in CorelDRAW.

If you are by chance using a HP scanner (I have a 4400C that I paid $49 for refurbished), look under output type. See if you have Black and White Scalable. This is a .WMF, or vector output. Just scan it, and it automatically converts it to the .WMF. Then import into corel. If you ever import a vector image, and you only see the handles/square, right click on black on the color palette to turn your lines from white to black.

Hope this helps!

Robert