PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here making "signature" medallions?

Al Navas
01-24-2007, 8:25 AM
We are searching for a "signature" medallion that we can inlay into our work. I wonder if anyone here is currently making them? I searched, and found three threads addressing this, but they are several years old.

We are also talking to local shops - one is a laser engraving shop, one a crafts shop, and a trophy shop. We are searching for the "best" way to do it, although would prefer wood if possible. Size we are targeting is 1-1/2-inch to 2-inch diameter. Should we consider something larger?

W will consider ALL advice :) !

Please let me know, either by reply here, or via PM if you prefer. Many thanks!

Nancy Laird
01-24-2007, 8:56 AM
Al,

PM sent.

Nancy

Thomas Hempleman
01-25-2007, 1:56 AM
Al,
I'll be glad to help you out. I sent you a PM with details.

Carol VanArnam
01-25-2007, 3:25 AM
what is a signature medallion? can someone post a picture or a cdr file.... i'm thinking we are talking about notary stamps?

Keith Outten
01-25-2007, 5:26 AM
what is a signature medallion? can someone post a picture or a cdr file.... i'm thinking we are talking about notary stamps?

Carol,

Check out the pictures that Ken Salisbury has in post number 4 in the following thread;

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4873&highlight=medalion

Signature medallions are generally 1/8" thick round disks that are inlayed into a project to document the name of the craftsman and often other information like the date, city and state.

Using a forsner drill bit to drill a 1" flat bottom hole a 1" medallion can easily be inserted with a drop of glue. People who own Laser Engravers have been designing and producing custom medallions for a long time now. Like anything else it adds to the cost of a project, many prefer to use a Sharpie Pen to mark their work and some like custom medallions that are a bit more fancy. Often wood turners will insert their custom medallions in the bottom of bowls they create.

Frank Corker
01-25-2007, 5:46 AM
Where is Ken by the way, he hasn't posted in donkeys years :confused:

Ken Salisbury
01-25-2007, 7:57 AM
Where is Ken by the way, he hasn't posted in donkeys years :confused:

I'm around everyday checking new posts and moderating when necessary. My health has kept me from being more active. However, I do post every now and then but not nearly as much as I use to.

Bill Cunningham
01-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Not being much of a wood worker, I was not aware that these things were as popular as they are? I made some sample ones a while back for a customer who makes wood planes out of exotic woods for presentations at the college where he teaches.. I have not seen one of his planes with the medallion embedded as yet.. Previously I was just lasering his small logo in when I laserd the presentaion logos.... This fellow makes beautiful planes.. These were done as presentation awards, for the Ontario Young Apprentice Program (OYAP)
the medallions will replace the little oval logo at the bottom.. These planes were made from some kind of purple african wood..

Vicky Orsini
01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
...who makes wood planes out of exotic woods... Oh! That kind of wood plane! I read your post and was completely lost until I saw the picture and realized you weren't talking about model airplanes. :D

That wood is very pretty. It looks very similar to the sample that the Trotec dealer used when we went for our demo. His was also from Africa and it smelled lovely when burned.

Bill Cunningham
01-25-2007, 1:56 PM
That wood is very pretty. It looks very similar to the sample that the Trotec dealer used when we went for our demo. His was also from Africa and it smelled lovely when burned.

Ya!! Isn't funny that they almost 'never' burn a rubberstamp for you.. :D

Brent Brod
01-25-2007, 8:47 PM
We are searching for a "signature" medallion that we can inlay into our work.

Check out http://www.ohlemeier.com

Al Navas
01-25-2007, 9:13 PM
My thanks to all who replied or made suggestions.

Mike Null
01-26-2007, 7:35 AM
Al:

Do a search on wooden nickels and see if that doesn't spark an idea.