PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Jobs

Bruce Volden
01-23-2007, 9:37 PM
Any of you laser heads catch the Discovery channel's Mike Rowe~Dirty Jobs episode tonight??? He was making wine barrels/casks (cooper), at the end they showed him putting the barrel under a hood and something magically appeared...this shows logo! Off hand I would say the size was about 8" X 10" and took perhaps 30 seconds to engrave. Galvo systems are FAST, like a marsupial. Just had to put this up:cool:

Bruce

Richard Rumancik
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Galvo lasers are great for marking logos or text in small areas. For plaques etc they are limited as the focus isn't as good towards the outside. They use a special field lens to help correct the angularity factor but it can only do so much. You will not get as fine a dot. Would be great to have one for small stuff but I don't think it would match your x-y tale for quality in the larger graphics.

I recently saw some info about a combo machine - it was a galvo on an x-y table. The idea was that it would quickly mark/cut a small zone, then move on to the next area. It needed some sophisticated software to "tile" the whole image into pieces.

Brent Vander Weil
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Off to the TiVo to watch it... :-)

John Esberg
01-25-2007, 7:28 AM
So how much does a toy like that cost?

(Just curious. Don't tell my M-300. She might get upset. :p)

It's time I go and give my machine a good morning kiss.

DAK

Michael McDuffie
01-25-2007, 4:55 PM
It was a 25 watt galvo system that started me down the road to laser ownership. I worked in a CD-ROM manufacturing plant and we lasered a serial number on the hub of every CD we made. Took about .3 seconds and was amazing to watch.

Michael