PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy Lube Gets Busted

Boyd Gathwright
01-23-2007, 8:07 PM
.... Just received this E-mail.

Subject: JIFFY LUBE BUSTED-INFO EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW

Jiffy Lube Gets Busted

You will NEVER use Jiffy Lube again after seeing this!

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9152183.200k.asx (http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9152183.200k.asx)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Lou Morrissette
01-23-2007, 10:51 PM
They always try to talk you into something other than what you went in for. Air filters always need changing. The tranny fluid flush is almost a must do. Very sad.:( :mad:

Phillip Thorne
01-23-2007, 11:07 PM
and the wife thinks i'm crazy for wanting to do most repairs myself...it's a shame one can not trust another in todays time...

Anthony Anderson
01-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the video. I went to Jiffy Lube once. They tried to talk me into everything including the kitchen sink. Then I pointed out that my car did not have a kitchen sink:D. I will never go back. Bill

Mike Armstrong
01-24-2007, 1:23 AM
Here's a website that's documenting complaints, and apparently getting a sizeable number of them:

http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/

Mike

Boyd Gathwright
01-24-2007, 9:58 AM
.... Thanks Mike for the WEB site Ref. everyone should find it informative :). I know I did. Apparently it's been going on now for something like 3 years :eek:.

Here's a website that's documenting complaints, and apparently getting a sizeable number of them:

http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/

Mike

JayStPeter
01-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Jiffy Lube is a place to get your oil changed ... period. I use them for that when the weather is cold and I don't want to do it myself. And then, only because of the convenience of no appointment. I watch everything they do.
Regardless of the scams, I just don't think the people who work there are competent to do anything else to my vehicle. I have reasons and stories that support my theory, but I've just accepted JL as the McDs of auto mechanics. I rarely go to either, but sometimes convenience wins out.

Randal Stevenson
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I have heard of an old lady taking her just deceased husbands VW in, and getting charged for a radiator flush, to knowing first hand, of someone being charged to replace the leaf springs (that had been installed a week earlier, when her husband drove).
Running out of new oil, and using the old barrel (recycling), etc.
THEN I knew a kid who went to work for them, and REALLY heard stories...

Steven Wilson
01-24-2007, 1:32 PM
I get my oil changed at my local GMC dealer and it's around $25, which isn't much different than Jiffy Lube. I usually can bring the vehical in and be out in less than an hour, plus the 5th oil change is free. Why bother going to a rip off place.

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2007, 2:25 PM
I don’t care who it is and what business they are in. You can’t get anyone to care about anything they do now days. You get something fixed and you have to take it back two or three times to get stupid things fixed they missed. I started taking classes on how to repair things myself. Places just hire kids who don’t know anymore than I do.

Dan Gill
01-24-2007, 2:45 PM
I think the most troubling aspects of this were the fact that they found 5 of 9 shops in a particular area that were cheating people, and it seemed as if the district manager was involved. Individual operators will cheat you from time to time. But when a whole district is apparently encouraged to cheat you, that's really bothersome.

My family used to run a gas station and car repair center. We were an unlikely place to get an engine overhauled, but we could handle most anything. We ran an honest shop, but even we had to deal with employees who were not honest. One drive attendant (back when there were such) we caught nicking fan belts and radiators hoses so he could get the commission on the replacement. It happens. We credited everyone we knew about, but I'm sure we missed some people. We also had a service guy deliberatly leave the oil plug loose on a woman's Cadillac. He was angry because she was a snotty old lady. The engine burned up, we confronted him, he admitted it, we fired him, and we replaced the engine.

I've never been really happy with Jiffy Lube, and this has basically put the nail in their coffin for me.

Scott Loven
01-24-2007, 2:50 PM
I get excellent oil and tire service at walmart. We are in a smaller town and I am sure that they can get better help then in the citys.
Scott

Jim Becker
01-24-2007, 4:42 PM
My Toyota dealer's oil change service is just as fast, about the same cost as a "quick change place" (especially with the occational coupon for further discount) and they are quite trustworthy. I also get free breakfast at Perkins from them when I do my usual 8am "wait" appointments...I see no reason to go elsewhere.

Glenn Clabo
01-24-2007, 6:09 PM
Man...Breakfast? All we get is an oil change...car wash...and vacuum for $33...

Jim Becker
01-24-2007, 8:43 PM
Yup...breakfast up to $7, not including tip...just walk across the busy highway without getting killed in the process (they actually will drive you if you ask) to get to the Perkins! When you get back from chowing down, they also have wireless Internet access so I can fire up the VPN and work while waiting, clean rest rooms, current newspapers like USAToday and comfortable seating.

Curt Fuller
01-24-2007, 10:31 PM
I think the most troubling aspects of this were the fact that they found 5 of 9 shops in a particular area that were cheating people, and it seemed as if the district manager was involved. Individual operators will cheat you from time to time. But when a whole district is apparently encouraged to cheat you, that's really bothersome.

That's what blew me away too. Any business can have one bad apple but in this case it seemed to be pretty widespread.

Joe Petersen
01-24-2007, 11:42 PM
I hate to be a spoil sport here but....
This happens at more than JL. I worked as a mechanic in a previous life. It is disgusting how shops/people take advantage of people's ignorance. I refuse to take a car to a shop and unfortunately have to for a few things. (Tires\smog) But when I do I watch like a hawk because not only will they lie about repairs they also sabatoge(sp?) cars.

Around here the big one is Just Brakes. Advert says "all 4 wheels - $99" but always comes to more like $400-$500.

Thats part of the reason I no longer wrench- except from the house. I do work for people very cheap. Puts a little jingle in my pocket and keeps them from being ripped off. Honest shops are rare.

Dave Fifield
01-24-2007, 11:50 PM
One time I took my car to JL for an oil change, I was sitting in the waiting room reading my paper when one of the workers comes in with something dirty-looking in his hands. He says "your PCV valve needs changing, shall I do it?". I says "give it 'ere, lemme have a look at it". I wiped it down with a tissue, then blew through it (it was clear) and then sucked on it (it closed). "Nothing wrong with that PCV valve!" I tell him, "put it back and stop <expletive deleted>ing around with my car - just change the oil and oil filter like I asked, puleaze!".

Since then, they just do exactly what I ask for and nothing more. Also, I make sure my wife makes sure to let them understand that she'll accept no nonsense from them either.

A fool and his/her money are easily parted.

Bill Lewis
01-25-2007, 6:24 AM
My wife still occasionally takes the truck to places like "Jip-me Lube" on, but only when she's in a hurry.

We've certainly had our problems with them in the past, and I'll never take my car there. My car requires removing a shroud to gain access to the filter, I'm certain that not all 10 screws would make it back in, and I've heard of stories from the dealer that often it doesn't get replaced at all. So I still do my own oil changes on my car, but I also prefer to use a higher quality filter than what is offerred by these "service" places.

Michael Gibbons
01-25-2007, 7:58 AM
I always change the oil on our two cars myself or if I'm not in the mood then I pay my nephew $10. I buy the oil and filters so I know what I'm getting and know that it's done right. Truthfully though,I HATE working on cars.