PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 circle shelves next to kitchen cabinets... best way?

Luke McFadden
01-23-2007, 7:18 PM
Maybe there is a name for this type of shelf. But we are wanting to build some small shelves that match our cabinets in our kitchen. I'd like them to look as simple as possible, so if anyone knows of any plans, or ideas I would really appreciate them.

I have very limited tools, but I have access to a very nice shop on the weekends.

What would be the best way to support the shelves? I'm thinking either three shelves that are the same size, or 3 shelves that progress in size from top to bottom.

Thanks!

Luke

Larry Fox
01-23-2007, 7:55 PM
Luke - are you talking about something like this?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55804&d=1169528300

If so, the way that I did it was to plane some square pieces of wood to about 1/8" thicker than your final thickness. I then glued them together (face to face) with a sheet of newspaper between the layers. I then ran them through the bandsaw as a stack and cut the profile that I needed. I then cleaned them up as a block with the rasp and finally through grits of sandpaper until I arrived at 220. I then split them apart with a chisel and planed them to final thickness. BTW: I can't take any credit for the idea as it appeard in FWW discussing split turnings.

For attachment, I did it with screws from the back where they could not be seen and glue and a spline where screws would be seen.

If this is not what you are talking about - please provide some more information.

Matt Hyman
01-23-2007, 8:29 PM
Luke,

I have done something similar by creating a fixture and using a router circle jig and a straight bit to cut the arc. The fixture was just two pieces of wood the same thickness as the shelf mounted to a piece of plywood at a right angle. I used a framing square to get them square. The circle jig was setup to pivot around the intersection of fixture pieces. This jig can be used to cut all the pieces the same or different sizes by adjusting the radius on the circle jig.

Hopefully, this makes sense.

Luke McFadden
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
The link photo is much what I'm looking for. I didn't know the best way to attach the shelving to the wall and cabinet without it looking weird. I think that photo looks great. Although, I think floating shelves might be cool. We are mainly wanting these to get some stuff off of the counter. Some DVD's, and maybe a picture or two. So I don't think it would need to support a lot.

But I really do hate trying to make things stay firm in drywall. Seems like no matter what, they aren't really secure. So maybe doing what you did, with a backboard would be the best idea.

Other thoughts and possibilities?

L