PDA

View Full Version : Isobutonal Alcohol

Barbara Roberts
01-23-2007, 6:30 PM
Hi. Can anyone tell me where to purchase some Isobutonal Alcohol. I have tried all the local Pharms but they do not stock or seem to be able to order it.. Tnx

Ken Garlock
01-23-2007, 9:03 PM
Barbara, are you sure that such an item exists. A search of Google for the exact words "Isobutanal Alcohol" comes up with a big zero. But there are a boat load of enteries for Insobutanal by itself. From what I could see, Isobutanal is an organic compound in its own right.

It is my guess that what you really are looking for is Isobutyl alcohol.

Dan Larson
01-23-2007, 10:57 PM
I think Ken's guess of isobutyl alcohol is probably right on. This an more of an industrial solvent... you're not likely to find an outlet that will sell it to the general public. Let us know what you're hoping to use it for, and maybe we can suggest an acceptable alternative?

Dan

Neil Bosdet
01-24-2007, 12:41 AM
My understanding was that you can buy Isobutyl alcohol (aka, Isobutanol, commonly used for mixing shellac) at Home Depot and Lowes in the US. I'm in Canada and they don't sell it there. All I can get is Methyl Hydrate which works but evaporates way too fast for use with shellac. I found a supply of Isobutyl alcohol at my local farm supply. I never would have thought to look there but it was suggested by the fellow I bought my shellac flakes from. Apparently it's used for rubbing down livestock. Hope this helps.

Steve Schoene
01-24-2007, 7:45 AM
Lee Valley sells a shellac thinner that is a mix of ethanol and isobutyl alcohol. That should be a slower drying product than denatured ethanol alone. Behlen makes a product called Bekhol which also is a bit more slow drying--I think it adds isopropanol to ethanol. I don't know how available that would be in Canada.

Neil Bosdet
01-24-2007, 9:47 AM
Lee Valley sells a shellac thinner that is a mix of ethanol and isobutyl alcohol. That should be a slower drying product than denatured ethanol alone. Behlen makes a product called Bekhol which also is a bit more slow drying--I think it adds isopropanol to ethanol. I don't know how available that would be in Canada.

The LV product is the Behlen product with a different label pasted on top. (I've actually removed the LV label to reveal the Behlen label underneath). I have used it and it's fine but it's expensive. You're paying for brand name. A quart from LV costs about the same as a gallon from my farm supply. About the same drying times etc.

Barbara Roberts
01-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks all. I do want to use it as a retarder for spraying Shellac. Farm Supply eh. Interesting . Will try that source and let you know.