PDA

View Full Version : First Lathe

Dave Dionne
11-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi All
Fairly new member here and in woodworking in general, first I want to say what a great forum you have here. No ugliness and sniping very cool indeed.
Now the question

I would like to get my first lathe, on a very tight budget so almost any money is a hardship. Selling off a canoe to buy the lathe. I want to turn pens, perfume atomizers, eventually into vases and bowls but will upgrade if I have to later. Just need a good starter lathe for now that I will not regret buying in the first place. What do I look for for features and any suggestions for models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dave Dionne

Jim Becker
11-24-2003, 1:39 PM
My suggestion is to start with a quality tool, such as the Jet VS Mini. This machine will do great for what you want, can expand to easily handle spindles for furniture if you need it to and can stay in your arsenal as a portable lathe even after you buy a larger machine down the road. That's good value since it lasts over time.

Dave Dionne
11-24-2003, 1:48 PM
Thanks Jim
I was wondering about that very lathe, after posting this question I surfed over to Woodcraft and that lathe is on sale this month for $200.00. With a little help from the person that wants to buy my canoe may have it home before the holiday.

Thanks again Dave

Tom Sweeney
11-24-2003, 2:04 PM
Dave have you seen some of these people's avatars? :D :p ;)

Seriously the VS jet mini always seems to be the entry level lathe that people talk about. If money is really tight you can still buy the older non vs version for probably just over $100. While I don't have it on my lathe the variable speed is a very useful option.
Wilke is having a sale on a bridgewood vs mini lathe for $99.95. I think the specs lean towards the Jet but this one does have VS for $100.
The other low priced options are either used or the Harbor Freight - that people say is basically a copy of the Jet 1236 lathe - of course other people say it doesn't compare so do your homework - I think you can buy the HF for $150 - $200.

Hope this helps.

Hi All
Fairly new member here and in woodworking in general, first I want to say what a great forum you have here. No ugliness and sniping very cool indeed.
Now the question

Thanks Dave Dionne

Dave Brandt
11-24-2003, 2:49 PM
Thanks Jim
I was wondering about that very lathe, after posting this question I surfed over to Woodcraft and that lathe is on sale this month for $200.00. With a little help from the person that wants to buy my canoe may have it home before the holiday.

Thanks again Dave

Dave, I don't think that's the VS model, it's most likely the 6 speed model (you change speeds by moving belts to different pulleys. The VS model usually sells for $300. Good Luck in your search.

Dave Dionne
11-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback, picked up my lathe tonight, wish I had more money Woodworkerswarehouse had the Jet VS1236 on sale for 399.99 with a trning kit trown in for free, but no money in budget for that at this time. Next year I may move up. Thanks again

Dave Dionne

Jim Becker
11-28-2003, 10:28 PM
What did you get?? Enquiring minds want to know... :eek:

Dave Dionne
11-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi Jim
I got the small Jet mini lathe, I really wanted the 1236 but couldn't afford it at this time. Next year I will up-grade. I'm sure that the mini will be great to learn on anyway.

Thanks for the interest.

Dave

Anthony Yakonick
11-29-2003, 6:25 PM
Hi Jim
I got the small Jet mini lathe, I really wanted the 1236 but couldn't afford it at this time. Next year I will up-grade. I'm sure that the mini will be great to learn on anyway.

Thanks for the interest.

Dave
My .02, the mini is a better lathe! Build a good solid stand and you'll be happy, and you can add an extension. Save your pennys till you can get something with a electronic variable speed drive.

Scott Greaves
11-29-2003, 11:32 PM
My .02, the mini is a better lathe! Build a good solid stand and you'll be happy, and you can add an extension. Save your pennys till you can get something with a electronic variable speed drive.

I fully agree! I also think the Jet Mini is a better lathe than the 1236. I think you will thoroughly enjoy the Jet Mini. Hey, why not turn some pens on it? ;)

Scott.

Dave Dionne
11-30-2003, 8:12 AM
Perfume atomizers are firsts for some christmaspresents for wifes friends and my sisters and then I start the pens. There is a guy at my local woodcraft that turns neat Christmas ornaments using in-lace that are on my list for next year.

Dave