PDA

View Full Version : Few Small Boxes

Corey Hallagan
01-23-2007, 5:25 PM
Here are a few small boxes I made this last week. I had the stock milled for awhile and hadn't gotten around to assembling and finishing them. The one on top is Cherry with crotch walnut panel and mitered keys. I did take pictures of the interiors but they didn't turn out.. to blurry... the chery box is lined with walnut. The lower one on right is mahogany and a spalted maple panel in the lid, maple keys and lined with mitered maple. I thought the spalted maple looks like a landscape. The lower left is maple with crotch walnut top. Nice piece of lint showing up in the photo :) . I lined it with blue velvet on the bottom. Temporary as I want to put ring rolls in these boxes. The maple and walnut box has slotted hinges. Needed to put a light amount more of chamfer on the back to allow open full 90. Oh these boxes are about 2 1/2 to 3 inch x 3 inches by 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 tall. Finish is just a homebrew poly wipe on. Thanks for looking and Thanks to Mike Hill for his help on those hinges and thanks to member & bud Chris Barton.
Corey

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/SmallboxesTrio.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/MapleWalnutBox1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/MapleWalnutBox2.jpg

dan bastian
01-23-2007, 6:01 PM
They look awesome. I'm almost done building a new router table.I bought a incra 25" super system for the table. The system comes with I believe 50 templates for making box joints. I saw your boxes an went looking for mailman an my new toy

Peter Stahl
01-23-2007, 7:24 PM
Nice looking boxes Corey!

Mike Hill
01-23-2007, 7:27 PM
Corey: Very nice boxes and I definitely like the grain in the top of the boxes going on the diagonal.
Mike

Corey Hallagan
01-23-2007, 7:51 PM
Thanks guys! Mike thanks again for your help! Dan, an Incra system...wow! Congras and ... we expect some boxes in short order..lol.

Corey

Roy Wall
01-23-2007, 9:45 PM
Nice stuff as usual Corey!

The keys look great and the tops of all the boxes really set them off! The walnut reminds me of "rings around a planet"...very sharp!

Hey - you coming to the KC WW show?

Jim Becker
01-23-2007, 9:48 PM
Beautiful boxes, as usual, Corey!

Karin Voorhis
01-23-2007, 9:50 PM
These are very nice artistic boxes!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully I will be learning these soon...

Corey Hallagan
01-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks all! I appreciate it. Roy, when is the show?

Corey

Chris Barton
01-24-2007, 7:47 AM
Those are some great boxes Corey. I really like the contrasting colors and think the spalted maple makes a nice touch. Keep up the good work!:)

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2007, 8:24 AM
Thanks Chris! I appreciate it :)
Corey

Glen Blanchard
01-24-2007, 8:28 AM
Very nice work Corey. As a fellow boxmaker, I appreciate your work very much. I like the look that the chamfer provides, and how it creates a visual separation between the carcass and lid.

I thought I would pass along some information to you that has greatly helped me in determining an esthetically pleasing stock thickness for my boxes.

I total the length of all four sides of the box I plan to make, and use the following for thickness determination.

less than 16".....5/16"
16" to 30".....3/8"
31" to 50".....1/2"
greater than 50".....5/8"

Of course, this is just a rule of thumb, but I have found it to yield very nice results indeed.

Keep makin' that sawdust and post more box pics - my antenna are always tuned for pictures of boxes!! :D

David Cramer
01-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Great looking boxes and I too would like to be producing some of them when I get my shop finished. Very :) motivating boxes Corey and thanks for posting pictures of them. I am new here and am amazed at what you guys/gals can produce. Ideas, ideas, ideas! My wife will definitely be getting that jewelry box I've been :D promising one day!

Dave