PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss something?

Richard Bistline
01-23-2007, 5:16 PM
I bought a new 3/8 solid carbide upcut bit from Woodcraft the other day for $59.99, and I just saw the same bit at Hartville Tool for $41 and some cents. Both were made by Whiteside. Is there that much difference on the same router bits? What have you fellows experienced? I was shocked.

Where do you buy your good carbide bits?

Hoa Dinh
01-23-2007, 5:19 PM
Woodcraft is not known for their low prices....

The same bit (Whiteside RU4900) is $42 from Brian (http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=7). With free shipping and 10% discount, it's $38 delivered.

Dan Lee
01-23-2007, 5:38 PM
I buy mine from routerbits dot com. Delivery has always been prompt with 6 or so orders. Not sure if they are the lowest but they get $42 for that same bit.
Dan

glenn bradley
01-23-2007, 6:04 PM
I would return the one to Woodcraft. Pick up a Whiteside at the lower price or ask them to match. I have used MLCS (their similar bit = $29) without complaint. With MLCS (and others) $20-like bits I probably won't have them sharpened. I would just replace (haven't managed to wear any out yet though).

Mike Heidrick
01-23-2007, 6:09 PM
I bought a new 3/8 solid carbide upcut bit from Woodcraft the other day for $59.99, and I just saw the same bit at Hartville Tool for $41 and some cents. Both were made by Whiteside. Is there that much difference on the same router bits? What have you fellows experienced? I was shocked.

Where do you buy your good carbide bits?

Looks like to me the only thing you are missing is the 15% woodnet member discount at hartville (if the bit is not on sale).

That being said Brian at Holbren is an awesome dealer as well.

Richard Bistline
01-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I believe that I will give Brian a rattle. I have to be somewhat cautious with my money, for I am on a retirement income. I will take the bit back because I did not use it yet. Thanks once again for the information.

John Lucas
01-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Richard,
I am also on retirement income BUT when I go to Woodcraft store, I know the price of products will be higher. I go there for what they have to offer...and it is a lot. SO I dont feel bad when I buy a magnetic featherboard there and then get home and see that "XXX" has it on sale for less. If we all did that, the Woodcraft store would havee to fold...and then what?

Paul Greathouse
01-24-2007, 5:15 AM
Richard,
I am also on retirement income BUT when I go to Woodcraft store, I know the price of products will be higher. I go there for what they have to offer...and it is a lot. SO I dont feel bad when I buy a magnetic featherboard there and then get home and see that "XXX" has it on sale for less. If we all did that, the Woodcraft store would havee to fold...and then what?

Come on John your pulling our leg, all those young good looking girls on your website wouldn't hang around with an old guy with nothing but a retirement income.

fred woltersdorf
01-24-2007, 6:38 AM
Come on John your pulling our leg, all those young good looking girls on your website wouldn't hang around with an old guy with nothing but a retirement income.

maybe it's not the money?

Jeffrey Makiel
01-24-2007, 8:01 AM
Please provide the website!
-Jeff :)

Al Willits
01-24-2007, 8:24 AM
Nothing wrong with Woodcraft or any B&M shop charging more, to me its expected, considering you get to go actually see the product your buying, get it that day, and not worry about being shipped the wrong part or it being lost in shipping.
I doubt they'll match the online price and wouldn't really expect them to.

Personally I'd just eat the part, and be more aware of online shopping in the future.
Also watch for B&M sales, then the prices are much closer to online.

Al

fred woltersdorf
01-24-2007, 4:30 PM
Please provide the website!
-Jeff :)

here you go jeff http://www.woodshopdemos.com/