PDA

View Full Version : Boiled Linseed Oil vs. True Tung Oil

Dave Crabbs
11-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Hi All,
I would like to know which oil would accent the grain and color of cherry better? My finish plan is to use an oil then garnet shellac as a sealer coat then top coat it with poly. I am going to use it on a cherry computer desk. Is Boiled linseed oil a darker or more amber tone then true tung oil or, are they about the same?
Thanks
Dave

Jim Becker
11-24-2003, 1:36 PM
I can't comment on the tung oil since I've never used it, but I've been using BLO since I first started woodworking about 6 years ago and it's awesome on cherry. (I also use it on walnut) My normal finishing regimen is BLO followed by dewaxed garnet shellac. If top coating is necessary, I use WB lacquer. (Target Coatings Oxford PSL) For purely decorative items, I sometimes even skip the shellac and go right to wax.

Todd Burch
11-25-2003, 4:27 AM
I believe Bob Flexner is his book "Understanding Wood Finishing" leans towards BLO being his preferable oil over tung oil. I too prefer BLO. Left as just an oil finish by itself (or under wax), pure tung oil has better water resistant qualities than BLO. Here are a couple pictures of the cherry table that I just finished where I used BLO, and top coated it with precatalyzed dull lacquer. While the pictures don't do the grain justice, you can CLEARLY see EVERY grain attribute on the cherry and I am VERY pleased with the results. The first picture is me applying the oil, and the second picture is my wife very happy :), but still wanting 8 windsor chairs :( .

Nathan Hoffman
11-25-2003, 7:13 AM
That table looks great, Todd. Are the legs made from cherry also?

Todd Burch
11-25-2003, 7:36 AM
No, Nathan, the legs are pine. Full story on my web site, gallery>tables.

Jim Becker
11-25-2003, 9:08 AM
Here are a couple pictures of the cherry table that I just finished where I used BLO, and top coated it with precatalyzed dull lacquer.

That's a really beautiful table, Todd! Cherry is my "first love" when it comes to wood and that's a winner.

Question: Do you heat your BLO for application? I've been doing that based on what I've read about Thos Moser's finishes and really like the better penetration I get. I take it to about 135º by putting the container in a water bath over a hot plate. A candy thermometer helps to indicate the temp.

Todd Burch
11-25-2003, 9:13 AM
Hi Jim. No, I don't heat the oil. I thin it quite a bit though wth mineral spirits though, about 50%. I flood the surface like I'm showing about 5 times immediately back-to-back, then wipe off any excess - let it sit for at least 24 hours, and then lacquer. It appears to have penetrated plenty.

Todd.

Bob Oswin
11-25-2003, 7:46 PM
, and the second picture is my wife very happy :), but still wanting 8 windsor chairs :( .

Your wife is very slim! :D

bob