PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Tall Clock

Mike Hill
01-23-2007, 2:25 PM
I am in the process of building a Shaker Tall Clock based on Benjamin Young's Watervliet creation. Will be doing this with the intent of selling it (I hope) I wonder if anyone knows where I can find a relatively authentic clock face and works?

In addition, I posted a finishing question in the finishing forum, so if anyone has time please read it.
Mike

Ron Brese
01-23-2007, 2:49 PM
Mike if you go to to clockdials.com I think you will find anything that you might can imagine in a clock dial. I used a 14 day keywind German made movement that I ordered from Woodcraft. Make sure you seek out antique glass for the bonnet, it may sound like a small thing but it really makes a lot of difference in the overall look. The thing that I really like about clockdials.com is that you can get custom printing on the dial face. If you click my name and go to the recent post you can view the dial and the glass that I put in my Shaker tall clock. You may want to start thinking about some form of counterweight to go in the bottom of the clock.

Good luck with the clock,

Ron

Jim Chilenski
01-23-2007, 2:53 PM
Mike,

When I needed a movement for the tall case clock that I built I purchased it from

www.greenlakeclock.com (http://www.greenlakeclock.com)

They do very nice work but their dials are only silk screened with the numbers. You still need to have any decorative painting done by a good artist.

Jim

joseph j shields
01-23-2007, 6:05 PM
I get my faces & movements from

http://www.klockit.com/

Nice people & decent prices.

-jj

Jim Becker
01-23-2007, 9:50 PM
For the faces, consider making them yourself or getting a local caligrapher to do it for you.

lou sansone
01-24-2007, 4:58 AM
I would call meritt's clock supplies for " authentic" clock works and parts. The Shakers did not use german works or silk screened dials, that I am aware of.

lou

Ron Brese
01-24-2007, 9:21 AM
Mike I doubt seriously that you will find an authentic reproduction works for the Shaker clock. In lots of cases the works in the authentic artifact are not the same movements that started life in the clock cases. As better movements became available they upgraded. The dial faces were most likely hand painted so you could find someone to do that for you, but they would need to see the original and the trip for the artist, even if you have the ability to do it yourself, would make for a quite expensive dial face.

Ron

Mike Hill
01-24-2007, 9:46 AM
Thanks to all for the support. I will be ordering a face and movement in the net few days based on your recommendations. Pictures should be on here in the next week to 10 days.
Mike

Ben Roman
01-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Mike you are on fire !! 3 Projects in 2 weeks ???

Ben

Mike Hill
01-25-2007, 8:50 AM
Having fun these days Ben. Stop over when you have a chance.
Mike