PDA

View Full Version : Just how did everyone get started turning?

Bill Wyko
01-23-2007, 2:07 PM
I just started a little over a month ago and I absolutly love the idea of starting with a chunk and ending up with art.
I had walked into woodworkers source and saw a guy demonstrating a jet mini then they told me it was on sale so I bought one. Dick, the manager told me I should buy the book about Ray allen, so I did. Then a customer at the counter told me to look up Malcolm Tibbetts on the internet, so I did. Then I bought Malcolms book. Now all I want to turn is segmented work. It's more time consuming but the outcome is very satisfying. I'm now working on my 4th piece, I'll post pics of my progress tomorow.

Lets hear some of your stories everyone.:D

Dario Octaviano
01-23-2007, 2:15 PM
Got fascinated with old/antique "treen" bowls and utensils and wanted to make some. I thought my lathe investment (Jet 1236 on sale for $300.00) was the biggest part so I ordered one. 3 lathes later...I still have to make an an antique looking bowl!!! :eek: :D

Dick Durbin
01-23-2007, 2:32 PM
I bought a Jet Mini to turn legs for the tables I like to make. I have yet to turn a table leg but I sure am having fun learning to turn bowls.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2007, 2:37 PM
I made the mistake of coming down to the basement and teasing the turners. They got even...bought me a lathe and tools........My wife still is looking for more names of those who contributed to my abysseration. I have no idea what she's got planned......

Don Fuss
01-23-2007, 2:44 PM
I've got good old Nahm to thank for my introduction to the vortex. I used to be strictly a flat woodworker and I watched the New Yankee Workshop for inspiration every week. He did a turning episode one week about a year and a half ago. I ordered a starter lathe and cheap tools the very next week and I haven't looked back.

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-23-2007, 2:49 PM
.My wife still is looking for more names of those who contributed to my abysseration. I have no idea what she's got planned......

Tell her to start her search with the Maine phone book. That will narrow it down a little for her!:D

Neal Addy
01-23-2007, 2:56 PM
I moved into a new home where I finally had "shop" space. I started doing some basic woodworking (built some birdfeeders, shelves, that sort of thing) and saw some turned pens at Woodcraft.

I remember thinking "Aha, that little ol' $200 mini lathe looks like a fun hobby for not a lot of money". HA! :rolleyes:

That was nearly three years and untold thousands of dollars ago.

Bob Hallowell
01-23-2007, 3:02 PM
I bought a cheap old grizzly and started making bonkers- then I had to start trying to hide all the money flying out of my wallet to by that one more thing I needed from my wife:eek:

Bob

Ron Ainge
01-23-2007, 3:06 PM
I used to go to auctions every saturday and sell the stuff I bought on ebay. One saturday I went to a school auction and they had a lathe that I bought for $100. I thought that I might be able to make some money on it so I took it home and tried it out to see if it worked well enough to sell it. Well after four years I am still testing it and the two others that I have bought since then. I don't think that I will ever sell that first lathe becasue it has brought me so much satisfaction and pleasure. The only problem is I am still buying that next tool that I still need to complete my collection (never ending).

Jeffrey Fusaro
01-23-2007, 3:08 PM
i was walking the aisles at the woodworker's show in louisville, ky this past fall.

ran into kirk deheer doing a pen-making demo on a bench-top lathe (had never seen a lathe that small before).

while watching that pen spin during the polishing stage, i entered into a homer simpson-like trance...

mmmm.... pens!

wandered away mumbling something about making pens.

the next booth had a jet mini-lathe on display - but it was the last one and not for sale.

good thing, 'cause i was actually standing there rationalizing that it really was possible to strap that lathe to back seat on my motorcycle and take it with me.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2007, 3:23 PM
March of 2004 a good friend of my wife's called and said that they were cleaning out the garage. Her husband had an old lathe that his uncle had given him years ago but he never had time to learn how to turn. They decided to get rid of it and knew that I was into woodworking and asked if I would want it.

Last time I had turned was in seventh grade but I remembered it being fun. Went over and picked up the lathe - a 1954 mono-tube Craftsman - and hauled it home. I like working on tools and that is a good thing as the lathe had sat for at least 30 years if not more and was totally inop.

Once the lathe was in 'operational' condition (what the heck did I know) I decided to throw a chunk of birch on it and see how well it worked. The birch was about 10" diameter and 16" long - fresh from the yard, bark and all. Turned the lathe on and the 'log' turned really really REALLY fast - came off the lathe - smacked the wall in back of it and put a big gash in the paneling!!! Huh... That don't seem right!

About two weeks later - after my HF chiesels had arrived I decided to try again. Put on a much smaller piece of wood and decided to try a different belt position. Wow - It Worked! Found the first time I had the lathe on it was on it's highest speed - about 3600 rpm - and for some reason the birch couldn't hang on!

Have learned a lot since then and continue to each day. Turning is actually addicting and I find all the flatwork I used to love to do takes a backseat to any turning projects that I can think up and I spend a lot of time thinking up new projects!

Have fun turning and if you ever have any questions - ask! That's why we all belong to the Creek!

Jason Slutsky
01-23-2007, 3:28 PM
I too can be considered a "Spawn Of Nahm". I've spent countless hours wathing him work and admiring his ability to pull any tool he needed out of thin air.

I started working with wood about 8 years ago when I bought a home that allowed me to set up a small shop. I've done quite a bit of "around the house" stuff like making molding, shelves, bookcases, simple cabinets. I'm by no means a master carpenter. I built up a decent amount of tools but never got around to buying a lathe. Moving into a new house, going back to school...money always seemed to be needed somewhere else.

I mentioned a lathe in passing to my wife-to-be a few months ago and found one under the Christmas tree this past year. I leave the basement only to eat and tend to cut my steaks with a skew chisel.

John Hart
01-23-2007, 4:12 PM
Bought a lathe before I knew what it was. It sat for years. I was strickly a flatworker. :eek: Found Sawmill Creek (never seen a woodworking forum)...fell into the flatworking crowd. Then stumbled on the vortex...and said, "hey...that's what that machine is for!" Learned everything from everyone here.

That was two years ago next month.

Bill Huang
01-23-2007, 4:19 PM
Stop! :eek: Woodturning is a black hole that will suck all your passion, money, and love, etc. in to it, be careful. You are still not too far yet, go back!

For myself, I got started all by mistake :confused: . Here is my story, I've been turning for less a year, still a very beginner. Oct. 2005, I bought my Delta Hybrid Tablesaw in a woodworking show, it came with some freebies - 1hp dust collector and a jobsite radio, I didn't want those stuff, and the vendor was really reasonable and helpful, so he agreed to switch something useful for me, I decided on a General air filter and there was still some dollar left, so by mistake , I picked up a Delta Midi. I didn't pay any attention to this little lathe I even didn't open the box until last summer, I put it together and bought a cheap set chisel, then turned some 2 bys, felt pretty good, not very excited though. Then got a chance to watch a pen turning demo, after the demo went to Leevally straight bought some pet kits back to shop started pen turning right a way, WOW, this is just great, tried more pens and some other small stuff as well, basically spindle work, those small stuff was just great for gift, friends happy wife happier. Slowly I added a full set of SuperNova2, a set of oneway live centre, and some other tools. Later last year, the real 'nightmare' started, one day I decided to try bowl turning, what a mistake, I was lured in no time, then bought a better bowl gauge, and much more stuff, finally came to the worst part, I found the lathe is too small. :mad: I want a bigger and better one!!! After some thinking, researching, discussing, begging, etc. I decided to go with the best - my dream machine Stubby S750 :cool: , I just placed my order last weekend and my Stubby will be shipped sometime Feb, I am very excited.

Here is how system works - they will lure you by very minimal cost and fun stuff (free lathe in my case), then more fun plus more tools, and then even more excitement associated with bigger and better tools, then you will find it is too late to go back, only thing you can do and want to do is following your heart.

Good luck and enjoy the journey, :p :D

Bill

Mark Pruitt
01-23-2007, 4:26 PM
Turning is something I didn't think I could do, so I did it to prove myself wrong.:D

Keith Burns
01-23-2007, 4:39 PM
Turning is something I knew I could do, so I did it and proved myself wrong:D :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2007, 5:52 PM
A little over a year ago I found SMC. I didn't harass the troops as Ken Fitzgerald did. I just sat back and admired. Finally in December 2005 I bought a lathe off e... for $150. It was a Delta midi. So like was said before this vortex, black hole or whatever got a hold of me and my wallet. Now with 3 lathes, multiple tools, several chucks, and various other gadgets I am in heaven. Never in my life have I had so much fun along with so much satifaction and along with learning from some of the best on SMC.

Gary Herrmann
01-23-2007, 6:17 PM
I watched a couple shows on HGTV and then lurked here for quite awhile. It just looked like it would be fun. I've made a few pens and a couple bowls.

I'm probably never going to get away from flatwork - thats what convinces my wife to look the other way when I feel I have to add more wood or tools downstairs. She gets things she wants out of it, and me out of her hair - wait, thats redundant.

There is something about turning tho. I'm not an artist by any stretch of the imagination, but I can turn the lathe on and pretend a little.

Bruce Boone
01-23-2007, 6:31 PM
I started by making titanium bicycle parts. This led to titanium rings, some of which have exotic hardwood inlays. This also led to pens in titanium, wood , or acrylic.

Joash Boyton
01-23-2007, 7:11 PM
I was 11 years old, when my Dad, brother(6), and I went to go and see a carpenter friend. Dad thought it would be nice, if we learn some ww. It ended up I was the woodworker and for the first few weeks, I built tables, and all sorts of flat-work. I really enjoyed it, then one day, he showed me his....You guessed it:D..LATHE!!!! His pretty beauty out the back in his other workshop. I had never seen nor heard of a lathe before. He started it up, and that day, we made a Salt Shaker. I WAS HOOKED!! Forget that flat-stuff that takes weeeeeks to make:D(no offence to anyone:)) From then on, for a year, I was over there every afternoon, turning anything I could lay my hands on:D After, I learnt the ropes, he decided he was going to sell that lathe, and upgrade to a lathe closely related to the Nova lathe. We decided to buy his old lathe off of him, and I learnt on that lathe more, for around 6 months. Christmas coming;) On Christmas morning, Dad took me down to the workshop, and there was my new lathe!!:D I've been turning on that guy for just over 2 years:D I am now 15:D

Nough, it never ends;)

Joash

Bill Wyko
01-23-2007, 7:15 PM
I started by making titanium bicycle parts. This led to titanium rings, some of which have exotic hardwood inlays. This also led to pens in titanium, wood , or acrylic.
That ring is pretty cool! How much can I get one for?

Joash Boyton
01-23-2007, 7:21 PM
Lol!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Bill Wyko
01-23-2007, 7:26 PM
Someone lied to me! They told me this would be an inexpensive hobby! I've got about $300 just in crown tools another 250 on the jet mini and I've spent about $500.00 on exotic woods......I've only been doing this a little over a month. I think my lathe has an invisible connection to my wallet.:eek: Does'nt mean I'm going to stop...just means i need to make more money.:cool:

Bob Noles
01-23-2007, 8:09 PM
I won the lottery and could'nt find anything to waste my money on, so I bought a lathe :eek:

Ron Raymond
01-23-2007, 9:38 PM
As a Cub Scout leader, I had seen a flyer from our local WC with classes for Scouts. We were looking for a Den activity last November, so I called them up. hmmm...let's see...birdhouse....been there....toolbox...done that...pen turning class...Hey! That sounds fun! We had 11 boys who thought it was just about the coolest thing they've done as Scouts. My 10-year old son and I were both hooked that night.

Started researching, found SMC and IAP. I fired off a letter to Santa and found a Rikon under our tree Christmas morning...no clue how it got there! My main problem, even bigger than having enough money to buy all the cool stuff, is finding the time to turn...what little lathe time I get is tons of fun.

But I know I'm a real Creeker now because...I actually embarrassed LOML by begging for wood! A friend mentioned that they were going to cut down an apple tree, and I went into full "Can I Get Some?" mode. Even got "The Look" from LOML!:D

Bobby Perry
01-23-2007, 9:59 PM
I had been watching DIY on Satalite(sp) and that got me interested. Then I found out a few friends of mine from another fishing board have done some turning. I saw what they had done and had to try it. I got a HF lathe first. Cheapest one htey had and was very unsatisifed with it. Then I saw the Amazon price on the Palmgren and bought it then told my wife. I am having a good time and enjoy it even though I am not very good yet. I got lots of green wood just need some dry seasoned wood now.

Jim Becker
01-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Blame Grumbine. I took a pen turning course at the then local Woodcraft around the corner and Bill was the instructor. I still have the pen--it was actually quite nice. A few years later, I decided to buy a lathe and try turning again. I'm now on my third (and likely last) lathe and rarely turn pens. But it's one of the most enjoyable woodworking pursuits in my shop because I can turn to turn, turn for furniture and turn while letting the glue dry on flat work projects. What's not to like about that?

Ernie Nyvall
01-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, we lived in the country and ate from wooden bowls, so when I was three I decided that I wanted to help my folks out and make some. I cut some bamboo and grape vines and put together a makeshift lathe with a bicycle as the motor. There was lots of flint around, so I sharpened some and made tool handles from more bamboo. Took me about a month to get this together and turned bowls until I was four and a half. The next 48 or so years I sang and danced. Then one day about 2 years ago I stumbled upon SMC while building a baby bed, which converts into a double bed, then a small boat, and finally a kitchenette, for my grandson. I came to the turners forum and memories flooded in from my early days of turning. I bought a lathe, then another, and another. I'm going to have to go back to singing and dancing to pay for this.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Well, we lived in the country and ate from wooden bowls, so when I was three I decided that I wanted to help my folks out and make some. I cut some bamboo and grape vines and put together a makeshift lathe with a bicycle as the motor. There was lots of flint around, so I sharpened some and made tool handles from more bamboo. Took me about a month to get this together and turned bowls until I was four and a half. The next 48 or so years I sang and danced. Then one day about 2 years ago I stumbled upon SMC while building a baby bed, which converts into a double bed, then a small boat, and finally a kitchenette, for my grandson. I came to the turners forum and memories flooded in from my early days of turning. I bought a lathe, then another, and another. I'm going to have to go back to singing and dancing to pay for this.

Ernie....do you tap dance or clog?
:rolleyes:

Ernie Nyvall
01-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Ernie....do you tap dance or clog?
:rolleyes:

I do it all... as long as there is a pole on stage.:eek:

Neal Addy
01-23-2007, 10:35 PM
There's a mental image...

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2007, 10:36 PM
My eyes.....Ernie and a pole......my eyes......my mind........the thought of Ernie....and a pole..........Mommy please make it quit hurting!:rolleyes: :D

Ernie Nyvall
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
My eyes.....Ernie and a pole......my eyes......my mind........the thought of Ernie....and a pole..........Mommy please make it quit hurting!:rolleyes: :D

That'll teach ya to have an inquiring mind.:p :D

Curt Fuller
01-23-2007, 10:50 PM

I don't know, that sounds like a song and dance to me. Probably snowed in Texas back then too, and you had to walk uphill both to and from school in snow up to your waist.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2007, 10:51 PM
To much information. Bernie sitting on a snow bank looking down just shaking his head. :rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
01-23-2007, 10:56 PM
For once I'm glad there's a thread here with no pics.

Ernie and a pole and dancing.

All the mental image needs now is a thong.

Oh damn! Now why did I have to go and think that! :mad:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Ernie....dancing...a pole .......a thong?..............This has really gone too far..........we need to report this to a moderator......wait.....Andy is a moderator......UHHH.........?:confused: Mommy it hurts really bad! :rolleyes: :D

John Hart
01-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Ernie....dancing...a pole .......a thong?..............This has really gone too far..........we need to report this to a moderator......wait.....Andy is a moderator......UHHH.........?:confused: Mommy it hurts really bad! :rolleyes: :D

Give Ernie a dollar. You'll feel better.;)

Lee DeRaud
01-23-2007, 11:53 PM
This led to titanium rings...Very useful in emergency situations, as seen in the movie "The Abyss".

(No, the movie has absolutely nothing to do with woodturning. But it's a heckuva coincidence, ain't it?)

Bruce Boone
01-24-2007, 12:30 AM
I made two of those exact rings today as a matter of fact. Never know when you might want to stop a steel door in a submarine from closing using your titanium ring. :D

Tony Kent
01-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Hello
I got started with flat work and then tried to set up my old craftsman tube lathe. I broke it just as fast as I set it up so I bought a jet 1236. I now have a Delta 16" steel bed and really like it. I am hoping I can be out there more and turn in the next few weeks.
Thanks ya'll for being here you have taught me so much about turning and I really like being able to see others learn.
Take care for now,

Barry Stratton
01-24-2007, 1:28 AM
I do it all... as long as there is a pole on stage.:eek:

So thaaats where the "thong" came from.........

I started this past spring. After finding SMC, reading all the banter amidst amazing pictures of turnings, and then the the bombing of Fitz....who could NOT jump in.

It has been a blast. ALtohugh I still haven't finish turned a bowl that I like...yet.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2007, 8:52 AM
It has been a blast. ALtohugh I still haven't finish turned a bowl that I like...yet.

Hey Barry....You may have to use that excuse with SWMBO......but we're turners......we know.....you just want to sniff some more of those exotic shavings....:rolleyes: :D

Jason Solodow
01-24-2007, 9:58 AM
I've been in love with woodworking since I was a little kid (my parents have pictures of me when I was three covered head to toe in sawdust holding a sander and huge smile on my face), tinkered with flatwork for awhile. Then when I was 17 my friend and I were going out on a double date and we were waiting at his house for our dates to show up, so he says to me, 'hey while we're waiting, let me show you my dad's woodshop'. We go up to his shop, his dad (Richard) is turning a small musical box on the lathe. I'm standing there watching for awhile, then comment 'hey that looks like fun!' So, Rich tosses a fresh piece of wood on the lathe, hands me a roughing gouge and a pair of safety glasses and says, wanna try? Four hours later I'm covered head to toe with shavings, my friend is mad at me, the girls have come and gone and I was hooked. Spent a weekend here and there turning at Rich's place, then three years later got a real nice sized tax refund and saw a Jet 1236 on e-bay for $150. That was six years and a few thousand dollars ago.. Still have the 1236, but I'm ready to upgrade! Helloooooo Vortex!

Mark Pruitt
01-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Four hours later I'm covered head to toe with shavings, my friend is mad at me, the girls have come and gone and I was hooked.
I always like hearing from a guy who has his priorities in order.:D

Tyler Howell
01-24-2007, 10:17 AM
I was pushed!!

Mike Jory
01-24-2007, 10:19 AM
In the good ol' late 1960's when my high school had a wood shop "Industrial Arts" class, I glued up and turned several Black Walnut & Ash bowls from scraps. Gave everything away to my family. I wish I had reclaimed them.
Then 25 years ago my wife bought a table saw for a gift, gradually building my shop in the garage. I did flat woodworking until about 5 or so years ago when the lathe idea was lurking in the back of my head. Among other turned items, I heard of turned pens. I decided my shop had to include a lathe.
I do turning and flat work. Among projects, turning is a much higher percentage.
Mike

Daniel Heine
01-24-2007, 10:31 AM
I had been trying to become a wood carver for a year or so, and had no interest in turning at all. My wife is off on Saturday, so that is her cleaning day. My son, who is 16 now, and I like to find things to do on Saturday, so we can get out of the house. When my wife is cleaning, she begins to foam at the mouth!! So, one Saturday my son and I went to the Rockler store nearby to watch a pen turning demonstration. My son got to turn a pen himself for the Freedon Pen Project, and he was bitten. He begged and pleaded for a lathe of his own, and I finally agreed to buy him one if we could find one at the woodworking show for a good price. I bought a Shop Fox lathe, and a 3 pc set of tools for $100.00 at the show. It was a good lathe, and we had a lot of fun turning pens, tops, magic wands, etc. After another Saturday demonstration we were bitten by the bowl turning bug, and decided we needed a bigger lathe. I bought him a Palmgren last April, and I have fallen deeply into the abyss since.

The Palmgren turns 15" inboard and 20" outboard, and has a vey smooth Reeves drive. I am VERY happy with it. My son and I are going to Woodcraft this Saturday for an all day lidded box turning demonstration held by the Chicago Woodturners club. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm not sure what we would have done without the support of everyone on this forum. I am very thankful to all of you that have so generously shared your knowledge and experience with us. I belong to a couple of email lists for wood carvers, and they are the same way. It must be something about working with your hands and the wood that attracts only the nicest, and most generous of all people. Thank You!!!

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine

John Hart
01-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I was pushed!!

Yeah..you were pushed. Just like the fully dressed guy who kicks water in everyone's face at the swimming pool.;) :)

George Tokarev
01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
At least one other took my route. I took an IA course in college for the specific purpose of learning basic turning and bandsaw techniques. Actually made a pair of stools with bandsawed (pattern) legs and one with turned. Bought a lathe and a bandsaw after I was convinced I could do it.

Lathe number three and bandsaw number two currently. The old buy quality and cry only once routine.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I was pushed!!

Tyler....Yeah you were pushed.....So was I!....I've heard you talk glowingly about you Mom. I'll bet she told you something very similar to what my Dad told me decades ago......"If you lie down with dogs....don't be suprised if you wake up with fleas!".........We both came down here and started teasing these turners.......We should have listened more closely to our parents Ty!:D

Frank Kobilsek
01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I was carving canes/walking sticks and needed a lathe to taper the staffs I glued into the carved heads. Dad's old Shopsmth lathe was just too scary.

Turning is like carving on Steroids! Finish a project in a evening instead of a season of the year. Only one cane has come out of the shop since I started turning.

Frank

TYLER WOOD
01-24-2007, 12:20 PM
I guess I am the only one who has jumped into the vortex head first. (knowlingly and willingly)!

I had seen kids in hs turning pens while I was learning to use autocad. The kids would turn pens to raise money for our state trip to Waco every year. I had no interest then. Well 10 years later I see a good friend at church with some neat little goblets. I asked where he got them - he made them. THinking about the kids that turned the pens, if they could do it at 16-17 years old, I should be able to master it at 28!!! Well I could turn a better goblet than that! The center is not even turned out it's drilled out. I can turn one with the center turned out with a smaller lip for easier drinking. Stupid me thinking you actually use the darn things.

Found another friend at church with a lathe in the back of his storage shop that he does not use. CAN I HAVE IT!!!!! Sure. It's a HF wanna be.:eek:

Well now after 2 weeks I have started planning and of course using my autocad skills with engineer as boss, I have designed and am ordering steel to make my own lathe. BIGGER BETTER FASTER ooops SLOWER WITH MORE TORQUE!!!!! Like I said knowingly and willingly!!! My wife will never forgive Jaso for giving me a cheap piece of junk lathe!

TYLER WOOD
01-24-2007, 12:24 PM
OHHH by the way Nahm, DIY, PBS and HGTV (love the Woodwrights shop)all have had their part in the conversion as well. I was seeing turned lidded boxes and that got my attention. I did do flat work for 5-6 years before the plunge:D .

What a waste of 5-6 years of experience that could have been put to good use!

One day I wil post my lidded boxes on here, as soon as LOML buys batteries for the camera. I'm to busy in the garage to go to the store for simple things like batteries. Now WOOD, I can go buy some WOOD!!!!! TOOLS did she just say TOOLS!!!!!

Dominic Greco
01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Blame Grumbine. I took a pen turning course at the then local Woodcraft around the corner and Bill was the instructor. I still have the pen--it was actually quite nice. A few years later, I decided to buy a lathe and try turning again. I'm now on my third (and likely last) lathe and rarely turn pens. But it's one of the most enjoyable woodworking pursuits in my shop because I can turn to turn, turn for furniture and turn while letting the glue dry on flat work projects. What's not to like about that?

You, you can also count me in on that! Bill got me hooked. With some help from Dave Smith, Dave Propst, and Jennifer Shirley.

And to think I used to be so "into" flat work!

Doug Collins
01-24-2007, 1:44 PM
I've been doing flatwork for years, but there are only so many tables, benches, etc. that a person can put in their house and I was getting kind of bored with copying things out of magazines. (not being a real 'creative' person, I'm better at taking someone else's idea and embellishing it. If it were up to my creative genious, everything would look like a box).

My father retired a couple years ago and increased the time he spent turning. He mostly makes small boxes, bird calls, candle holders...and I was amazed at the beautiful work he was turning out of old pieces of hedge fence post, knotty pieces of wood from the woodpile and scraps he picked up on the frequent trips he and mom were now able to take.

It looked like fun, and I thought it would re-energize my flatwork with the addition of some turned spindles. I bought my Turncrafter midi from PSI for Christmas 2005 (got the extension bed cuz I was going to need to turn those long spindles). Other than the original bonker I turned from a 2x2 cedar balister, I haven't turned a single table leg.

I like to turn smaller 'functional' things like the thimble holders that I gave my friends for Christmas (I'll post the latest one that I made from the walnut my friend gave me, my apologies in advance for the poor pics) I also turn small crosses look like chess pieces, turned base, with a carved cross on the top that I give to the folks who complete the bible study class that my wife and I teach. I turn them from 1" stock, they're about 1 1/2" tall.

Seeing the amazing pieces that you folks turn is truly inspiring and gives me a LOT of ideas for things that I'm anxious to try. Don't know that I have the patience to glue up 1800 small pieces of wood, but the form and concept are intriguing. Some of my next attempts will be an NE bowl, a winged bowl and a walnut 'pie pan' for a friend that is famous for the pies she bakes (inspired by Mark Cothren's offering plates)

I'd love to do a larger HF, but first things first. I need to bolt my lathe down to my workbench. (candidate for the 'Don't do this' thread)

Bill Wyko
01-24-2007, 1:45 PM
I don't know, that sounds like a song and dance to me. Probably snowed in Texas back then too, and you had to walk uphill both to and from school in snow up to your waist.
Be careful what you say about snow in warm climates. I'm here in Tucson AZ and we just got 4 inches of snow last weekend. Although the last time it did that was easter 1999.:D

Glenn Clabo
01-24-2007, 2:12 PM
Andy made me do it...

Ernie Nyvall
01-24-2007, 6:45 PM

......... and barefoot over broken glass... and I LIKED it.

Curt, I know it's hard to believe that I would quit turning after only 1.5 years, but back then it was more like work, and singing and dancing paid better.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-24-2007, 8:29 PM
Turned when I was in High School well over 40 years ago. Then The Creekers caught my ear and well...I fell headlong into the Vortex. All their fault!!:eek::)

Steve Clardy
01-24-2007, 8:56 PM
High School shop class.

We turned a lot of gear shift knobs;) :D

Ed Scolforo
01-25-2007, 6:21 AM
I never forgot the fun in turning a simpe platter with decorative rings while in 8th grade shop. Many years later I started working a few hours a week for a friend, a full time turner, doing some of his more mundane jobs: cutting blanks, making cattails, picking stones out of root burls, etc. I was (and still am) amazed at watching him turn out these beautiful hollow forms. Several years after leaving that job I bought a used Jet Mini on ebay and started making pens. Now The Vortex swirls.
Ed

Don Orr
01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
...a pen turning class with my local woodworking club. Fell, no dove, helplessly into the abyss right then and there. Used the pen to buy a car that afternoon (signed the contract with it!). Wife got me a jet mini for Christmas a month later and have been swirling in the vortex ever since!

That was Nov, 2000. Now, 6 lathes and a new shop later......:eek: :D .

Greg Narozniak
01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Took 4 years of wood shop in high school and used to turn all sorts of small bats, "Tire Knockers", Key Chains, pipes, etc. and always had lots of fun. My grandmother gave me an old craftsman lathe that my grandfather had purchased (1940's) and I had it in the garage for some time.

Then when I was 17-18 Cars took over and I ended up giving the lathe to my best friend (he used it to polish pool cue shafts) and I had forgotten all about it. Once I got married and had a garage I got bitten buy the woodworking bug again (In a big way :)) and I began a lot of tool purchases and building a lot of projects for my home and some for local clients.

One day while I was at my friends house we were moving somethings in his basement and I tripped over the lathe. I asked him where did he get that and he reminded me that I gave it to him. I was SHOCKED that I had forgotten about it. He said "Do you want it back?" It has been a slow process in getting back into turning but it is really special to have that lathe back in my garage. The lathe is still working and have turned some finials for my Step Fathers Cottage in Maine and some Pool Cue parts. I may upgrade to a newer lathe someday as I am finding turning really relaxing and theuropudic but That lathe will never leave my garage. It can NEVER be replaced I just wished I could have learned from my Grandfather.

Michael Gibbons
01-25-2007, 1:05 PM
My wife wanted a coffee table for the living room so I said I need a lathe to turn the legs, so off to Home Depot and bought the Rigid for $300. I probably spent more on accessories than I did on the lathe but that will only help me when I get a 3 hp ONEWAY. arh-arh-arh.

Mark Patoka
01-25-2007, 1:29 PM
My wife wanted me to make an end table that had a turned leg so that provided the justification to buy a lathe 4 years ago. Bought a Jet mini with the bed extension and have been hooked turning many pens and some bowls.

Now she says she's tired of the "small" bowls that the mini can produce and says I should look at getting a larger lathe :) . Why I didn't run out that minute is beyond me but I think I'm about ready to upgrade to the new Nova 1624.

David Walser
01-25-2007, 3:16 PM
Long before I every met her, my wife dated a guy who's father was a turner. When they became engaged, her future father-in-law made her a segmented bowl out of oak scraps. She was able to watch the bowl being made and she was fascinated by the process. The two did not marry, but she got to keep the bowl. (It's been on top of our fridge for the close to 25 years of our marriage.) About four years ago, my wife saw a turning article in one of my woodworking magazines and remembered how fascinated she had been watching her bowl being made. She told me she wanted to learn how to turn. I bought her a cheap lathe and a starter set of tools. She decided she needed lessons. So, as a birthday present, I bought her admission to a 5 day basic turning class at Craft Supplies USA and I tagged along to keep her company. Most expensive thing I've ever done short of getting married! At the end of the 5 day class, I bought "her" a used Woodfast lathe (that had been used in Craft Supplies classroom) for $2,000 and a bunch more tools. I've been hooked ever since. My wife? She still is fascinated watching, but does little turning herself.

Andy Hoyt
01-25-2007, 3:32 PM
I fell in because I'm cheap! And stupid.

I thought this would be a great way to use up scraps that had no other useful application in flatwork and didn't want to waste it by burning it or tossing the stuff out.

Took a private one-day class back in 2001 and immediately performed a self inflicted abysseration.

I often lie awake at night thinking about all the ice cream I could have otherwise acquired.

Mark Singer
01-25-2007, 4:07 PM
I had a glass of wine and then another( maybe 3?)....not much food in between...I got up fast from my chair and that was it.....everything started turning :rolleyes:

Jason Solodow
01-25-2007, 6:13 PM
I had a glass of wine and then another( maybe 3?)....not much food in between...I got up fast from my chair and that was it.....everything started turning :rolleyes:

Apparently someone should have stated wood turning... But that kind of turning is good too! I prefer scotch over wine though...

Curt Fuller
01-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I got started a few years ago when I was at an art festival with my wife and her brother. I saw some cool woodturnings by Kip Christensen and said I'd like to try woodturning sometime. My BIL said he had a lathe I could use and the rest is history.
My first attempts were using a flat screwdriver sharpened somewhat like a skew. I played with that for a few weeks before I got some real woodturning tools. And I played with them for a few weeks before I learned that they needed to be sharpened. And I'm still playing around with the whole sharpening concept.

BTW, I still go back to that art festival each summer to see Kip Christensen's work.