PDA

View Full Version : "Wooden Bowl Value $35"

George Tokarev
01-23-2007, 11:38 AM
:D That's what it will read on the raffle ticket for the firemen's raffle.

Now for the all-important technicals.

Hard maple at about 10" (beginning 10 x 10.75).

NOVA 3000 with a NOVA chuck and 50mm jaws.

Cut at 680 rpm by an old fat Ukrainian smoking a cheap cigar and using a 1/2" forged Taylor gouge.

Sanded three and out at 240/320/400 with a water set between 320 and 400.

Buffed with the Menards system - paper, not plastic.

Unfinished, thinking about whether to add color with oil-based or just shellac.

Mark Pruitt
01-23-2007, 11:46 AM
That came out nicely! I can only imagine what it might have looked like with an expensive cigar...:D

Bob Hallowell
01-23-2007, 11:56 AM
George,
That looks good I really like the form. I was wondering why you leave a spigot in the center of you rough bowls. does it help with drying?

Bob

after looking at you pics again is it so you can use your chuck to hold the inside so you can finish the outside?

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Very nice bowl George! Really like the form!

John Hart
01-23-2007, 12:22 PM
I prefer a pipe m'self....maybe I should switch.:rolleyes: I like that shape! Been trying to get a handle on it for quite a while now. I'd raise the value amount on the ticket though, if I were you. Looks nice.

Gary DeWitt
01-23-2007, 1:01 PM
Gotta agree with John, a good looking bowl like that must be worth more than $35. It's unique, not a mass produced bowl from some $1 per day turner slaving away in China somewhere. The shape suggests more of an artistic bowl than a utilitarian (salad) bowl. Something you might fill with spheres or something and set on the hall table for display.

John Hart
01-23-2007, 1:14 PM
Oh...I meant to ask....The lighter patches, that I assume to be the beginnings of spalting, was there a density difference between those patches and the rest of the wood?

Paul Engle
01-23-2007, 1:24 PM
I like it George, what kinda cheap cigar? I may have to change my brand .....might help my turning :eek: ,naw , a shot of copenhagen works wonders on the finsh part...with Levi Garret for the final buff...da smoke might get in my eyes ....:D

Bob Opsitos
01-23-2007, 1:35 PM
Nice bowl.

Curious, the spigot inside the bowl, is that primarily for rechucking after drying?

If so how does that work out for you? Been thinking of trying it out, espcially for hard to rechuck bowls (large size & NE forms).

thanks
bob

Frank Kobilsek
01-23-2007, 3:07 PM
George,
Cheap at twice the price!
Frank

Neal Addy
01-23-2007, 3:16 PM
Really nice! I gotta agree with the consensus. You should have a higher price on it!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2007, 4:52 PM
I'd bid more than that George! Nicely done!

Tom Sherman
01-23-2007, 5:42 PM
Looking pretty good George.

Glenn Hodges
01-23-2007, 5:50 PM
Hey George, as long as you are giving it away you are kind of advertising for your work so why don't you give it away as a $135 bowl? When tax time comes you can use the deduction. BTW someone had rather win a $135 bowl than a mere $35 bowl, ha, ha.... I like it, anyway.

George Tokarev
01-23-2007, 5:52 PM
Raft of questions.

The pillar and hole are for a pin chuck. I rough on a pin chuck, reverse to a regular when working green wood. After drying I can run a 1" bit down the center hole and do the same with the dry piece. It's an extremely secure way of holding for roughing, and it allows me a quick and easy re-center after drying, as well as support when hollowing. Means I can get a bit more aggressive than I might otherwise be if the piece was subject to a dismount.

I am not sure if the discoloration has anything to do with the ultimate lignin-eating fungus. It is usually accompanied by a femented wine-like smell, so I almost suspect it has to do with a yeast, and the discoloration from the relocation of solubles.

I like the Hav-a-Tampas, because I mostly chew on the holder rather than smoke 'em. Sometimes I buy more expensive types, but the quality of the turning doesn't improve with or without.

This was an hour's worth of work, maybe a bit more with a few interruptions, and a half hour of roughing to factor in. Puts the normal price at fifty bucks for an undistinguished piece of wood, so I'm not going to worry about how much I write off. It's my department, after all, and they're a great bunch of dedicated people.

As to you, Ken, the tickets are a buck each, six for five. Lots of good prizes from a hundred cash to a fifty pound bag of sunflower seed. Mine's somewhere in there.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2007, 5:59 PM
That is a mighty fine bowl George with a Hav-a-Tampa. I was just going to ask or wonder what it might look like if you were smoking a cuban.:eek: :D

Ernie Nyvall
01-23-2007, 9:22 PM
I like the form George. Nice work.

Jim Becker
01-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Красивый! Underpriced and nice!

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Evening George.

I agree with those that say your value of $35.00 is low. IT IS. Not because of the tax Break, but because it is beautiful and well worth a price of at least $100.00!

When you do work of that quality, you deserve to get or charge what it's worth!

Bruce