PDA

View Full Version : PVC Free Expanded Rigid Foam Product

Joe Pelonio
01-23-2007, 10:58 AM
It looks like this stuff is similar to Komatex and Sintra type of expanded PVC foam board, yet does not contain PVC. Anyone tried it or know if it can be laser cut? I have contacted them with some questions about it. Would be a great material for a lot of things if it's safe to laser.

http://www.sdplastics.com/pvcx.html

Ashton Waters
01-23-2007, 11:17 AM
It sounds like a really neat material, and not that expensive according to the website. Please let us know what they say about lasering.

Joe Pelonio
01-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I've also sent the link to Epilog technical support. Other might want to try that with their machine manufacturers as well, so we get an answer as soon as possible.

Tom Majewski
01-23-2007, 5:39 PM
Joe,
Have you ever tried Gatorboard? I'm curious if if the polystyrene smokes much or catches fire while lasering.

http://www.tri-dee.com/gatorboard.htm

Tom

Joe Pelonio
01-23-2007, 6:16 PM
Joe,
Have you ever tried Gatorboard? I'm curious if if the polystyrene smokes much or catches fire while lasering.

Tom
I tried 3/16" and would not try anything thicker. It's not catching fore as much as it melts at a lower temperature so it's hard to get a smooth edge.

As for this new PVCX, Dan at Epilog says they have not tried it but that if in fact it's free of PVC it should be fine for the laser. I'm going to try and get a sample to play with.

Joe Pelonio
01-23-2007, 6:25 PM
I'm now thinking that when their ad means is not that it's PVC free, or "PVC FREE" foam, but rather they mean PVC "Free Foam". That means it would NOT be laserable. Still waiting for confirmation though.

Brent Vander Weil
01-24-2007, 10:54 AM
About half way down the page there is a link to a Komatex brochure Joe... I am not sure why they would use the term PVC FREE FOAM on the web page other than to get search engine hits... the brochure could not get more PVC in it unless they made it out of the stuff... LOL Dang I was so pumped that would be very good sign stuff wouldn't it???

Joe Pelonio
01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Very dissapointing, and as you suggest misleading advertising. They have not yet answered my inquiry. I'll keep looking.

Dave Jones
01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
At the top of that page it does say:

PVCX
PVC Expanded Foam Sheet

On a different page of their site they talk about Komatex being a "lightweight closed-cell, free foam, rigid PVC sheet". So apparently "free foam" is a term relating to those materials.