PDA

View Full Version : PEX for Air?

Chris Jenkins
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
I need to add air lines to the shop. As of now the compressor (60 gallon full standing type) is staying in the garage. I need to pipe it through the garage wall at the base to enter into the basement.

I was thinking this would be real EZ if I used some of that new PEX flexable line. Is this advisable?

I only plan to use it to route into the basement, then I will switch over to standard black steel or cooper lines.

Thanks,

Chris

Frank Snyder
01-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Chris...someone had asked this not too long ago...check out http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=37966

Rick Lizek
01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
I'd get it in writing from a tech at pex first. When I talked to the pex people they said no way they would back air as an application. Besides pex must be covered as it deteriorates in the sun.
http://www.indelco.com/c-345-compressed-180psi-air-piping.aspx This stuff is trated for air.

Chris Jenkins
01-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Frank, Thanks for the link. Guess I'm not using PEX since the line will be exposed to sunlight in the garage.

I guess my question is can I get away with using the plastic reinforced hose (you know the clear stuff with the hatching going through it, it requires the barb type connectors)?

I only want to use the flex line to run from garage to basement. And only then cause their is a door in the way. So I figure I'd be running about 25' - 30' of flex before I go to black pipe.

paul aubin
01-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Chris

As a temporary solution a year ago i ran an extra air line i had inside some pvc electrical conduit to the garage i do not keep it pressurized except when i need air in the garage. sounds like you may need a more permanent solution but this works for me

/paul

Rick Lizek
01-23-2007, 12:23 PM
You should ask the manufacturer if it's air rated. "you know the clear stuff with the hatching going through it"...not really a good description to research but it sounds like the stuff at the hardware store.
Why not just buy air hose and then you know it's right. Northern Tool has really good prices on hose. Why not just run the copper or black pipe in the first place. The problem with running a hose is choking down in size. Make sure you look up the proper way to plumb the system in or you will have moisture problems. Every place I've worked at had someone run airlines without consuting a source and it's a pain to fix it later. I know lots of folks use PVC but it's not rated for air and OSHA states right on the site it's not to be used.

Kyle Kraft
01-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Right on, Rick!! PVC pipe and compressed air is a disaster in the making.

paul aubin
01-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I want to make sure i was clear the pvc electrical conduit is just to protect the hose from sunlight and abrasion there is no pressurized air in the PVC.

Randal Stevenson
01-23-2007, 12:55 PM
You need to google Pex-al-pex. It is the airline pex stuff, only expensive.

I would consider a hard line in the garage, terminating in a shutoff, with a quick disconnect. Then a section of REPLACABLE, rubber air line, that goes through the wall, and into another quick disconnect, and shutoff, onto the hard line in the basement. This would allow for flexing, and expansion if your basement is heated (partially finished), and your working with your garage open in the winter.

Steve Clardy
01-23-2007, 2:21 PM
Why not just use a standard 3/8 or 1/2 air hose?

Chris Jenkins
01-23-2007, 3:27 PM
Guys,

Don't know why that slipped my mine, just use standard air hose! I guess I kept thinking of the new Poly lines and I can only find that in 1/4" around here and I know I don't want to choke the line with that little stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess ideally if I can find someone who rents or has pipe threading tools I don't need to run any flex and I'll cut everything custom as I would like it.

Bob Wingard
01-23-2007, 3:59 PM
Chris .. .. the place I just retired from used something called "Polyflow" to plumb compressed air to thousands of cylinders, air reels, and valve actuators. We generally ran 120 psi to a regulator near the point of use, and dropped it from there. I don't think I've ever seen this stuff leak or let go unless it was hit or cut by something. The fittings are just push-in quick-connects OR you can use a screw-down fitting if you wish.

We had miles of this stuff in the plant and never had trouble out of it. I used it in limited quantities in my new shop and it's been just fine.

Matt Meiser
01-23-2007, 5:48 PM
If you only need a short length that's flexible, I've used hydraulic hose--its available in much larger diameter and isn't too bad at Tractor Supply.

David G Baker
01-23-2007, 5:50 PM
I want to make sure i was clear the pvc electrical conduit is just to protect the hose from sunlight and abrasion there is no pressurized air in the PVC.
Paul.
If you can run PVC conduit with a flexible hose inside, why not run copper and be safe?
David B

Peter Stahl
01-23-2007, 7:28 PM
Chris,

My BIL has air hose cable tied to his trusses and it's been there for years. I wouldn't go with anything less than 3/8" ID though. If you use copper tubing go with the L or K, don't use the thin wall M stuff. Sweating copper tubing is easier than it looks.

Jim Becker
01-23-2007, 9:17 PM
The one big issue with using air hose to "plumb" your shop is that it's really hard to put it in place with the necessary slopes, etc., to be able to properly drain condensation from it. Great for a temporary setup, but not the best for long term...especially if spraying finishes is involved, but even regular air tools don't like excess moisture.

That said, I did it until I got the copper installed... :)