PDA

View Full Version : Almost Kindling Here - What Next?

George Tokarev
01-23-2007, 8:32 AM
Answering Steve's question reminded me I have a chunk of trim from some drawer fronts I'm making that I turned after dinner last night. Mentally subtract the basswood dust and take a peek at the oiled chunk, complete with lots of brown rot and even some CA hardened white. Bit of sanding artifact to remove yet, but I think I'll save it rather than pitch.

Here's the question. Should the rest of the chunk, which is in a bit better condition be turned square or go round? I'll probably chuck it up tonight. You make the call.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2007, 9:24 AM
George, first off thanks for the camera info. I increased my F stop from 6.3 to 8 and will see how that works out.

Beautiful wood. My first thoughts were of a matched set of platters but the more I look at the photo the more I like the idea of a square winged platter. The only example that comes to mind of the form would be that of a Manta Ray. The square edges would function as feet and be the only portion of the platter that actually touches the table top.

Paul Engle
01-23-2007, 9:43 AM
George , I agree with Steve, I did one in walnut small size 4"x6" and used the wings for the legs with small bowl bulk of it on top of the wings and got lots of compliments here at work.the piece was only 2 inches thick so there is not much of a bowl, the bottom being about 3/16 " from the plane of the feet ( need my camera back from # 4 daughter) just enuf gap to see it is not resting on the bowl .

John Hart
01-23-2007, 9:59 AM
If it were me..I'd turn it round. But it's not me. Since you're giving us the opportunity to turn something using your tools, your talent, and your wood, I'd have to agree....do'er square. Looking forward to whatever you decide.

George Tokarev
01-23-2007, 11:47 AM
George, first off thanks for the camera info. I increased my F stop from 6.3 to 8 and will see how that works out.

Beautiful wood. My first thoughts were of a matched set of platters but the more I look at the photo the more I like the idea of a square winged platter. The only example that comes to mind of the form would be that of a Manta Ray. The square edges would function as feet and be the only portion of the platter that actually touches the table top.

No, focal length means add some camera to subject distance and zoom in to shorten the field. F stop governs depth-of-field, which isn't really what you were asking. You want a truer perspective. If you recall those long-lens baseball shots where the batter looks as tall as the pitcher, you'll see what it does. Same thing in the movies where they try to pack a lot of distant background into the front.

I could make the piece rectangular and go with the four-point, though I was thinking of corners up. It's got a fair amount of crown in it, and it's a meagre 4/4 right now, coming from a band mill. Would be fairly shallow, not that it matters. Possibility.

Mark Pruitt
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Here's the question. Should the rest of the chunk, which is in a bit better condition be turned square or go round? I'll probably chuck it up tonight. You make the call.
Whichever direction is the most challenging, that's my suggestion.;)

George Tokarev
01-23-2007, 6:09 PM
One choice is out. It has a 1/2 by 1" area of wane on one corner, so four feet will not make it. Oh well, can't get to it tonight anyway. SWMBO has another project for me.

George Tokarev
01-25-2007, 7:19 AM
This is it. Not sure whether it belongs in the ugly thread or not, but it sure didn't come out the way I though it would or should. Oh well, the wood's nice enough to keep it out of the stove.

John Hart
01-25-2007, 8:16 AM
....Oh well, the wood's nice enough to keep it out of the stove.

Looks to me like it belongs next to the stove. Maybe a counter-saver, pot holder kind of thing. It has a cool flare to it and it's unique. A keeper.

Yer right...that's nice lookin' wood.

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2007, 9:54 AM
Nice design George - very unique! Beautiful wood. I really like your 'foot' design of leaving the foot thick and having it flare up and away from the center. Very different!

Skip Spaulding
01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Nothing wrong with that, cheese, crackers and a good beverage would make it right at home in any home. Looks great!