PDA

View Full Version : Carter Guides on a wood/metal cutting bandsaw.

Chris Rosenberger
01-22-2007, 11:42 PM
I have a Delta 14" wood/metal cutting band saw being delivered tomorrow. I have Carter guides on my old Delta 14" wood cutting band saw. I want to put the Carter guides on the new band saw. Is it ok to use the Carter ball bearing guides when cutting metal? I called Carter early this morning. They said they would have to do research on that band saw & call me back:confused:. They never called back. I am hoping someone here can help.
Chris

Mike Cutler
01-23-2007, 7:49 AM
Definitely listen to Carter, they should know best. However the big Do-All at work for cutting metal has a guide system very similar to the Carter's. They seem to hold up in a work enviorment.

Chris Rosenberger
01-23-2007, 7:57 AM
The problem was Mike that Carter did not tell me anything.

Hoa Dinh
01-23-2007, 9:41 AM
Chris,

I'm no help here in terms of the guides, just curious: what kind of metals do you plan to cut with the BS? I have one, vintage 1975, but don't cut metal with it. I'm afraid that mixing metal & wood cutting would be messy.

Bob Aquino
01-23-2007, 10:56 AM
I had one of the old wood/metal saws with the original guides and I have a newer 18" saw with carters. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the possibility of metal shavings getting into the ball bearings might be an issue, but I tend to doubt it. The only metals I cut with it were aluminum and then rarely. Problem with cutting metals is that the grit gets embedded in the tires. I found the original guides worked well on that saw, maybe you will find the same. I would try them out first. Honestly, the original guides on my 18" were terrible, the carters were a big improvment, that why I went with them. Good Luck.

Chris Rosenberger
01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Chris,

I'm no help here in terms of the guides, just curious: what kind of metals do you plan to cut with the BS? I have one, vintage 1975, but don't cut metal with it. I'm afraid that mixing metal & wood cutting would be messy.

I ordered one of the Delta 14" wood/metal cutting bandsaws from Amazon. I will not be cutting alot of metal. There are times when I cut metal & alu. It is mostly sheet thinner stuff. I do it now with a jig saw & that can be a pain.