PDA

View Full Version : My First Bowl

Doug Collins
01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
I finally got a chance to turn something from my Christmas wood. Here's a couple pics of my first bowl. Canary wood, 6"x3", sides are about 3/16 thick. Finished with shellac and buffed with wax.

I'm thinking about putting it back on the lathe and making it a little deeper. I feel like the bottom's a little thick at about 3/4". And possibly putting a different finish on it. Or I might just leave well enough alone...

Whattaya think?

Joash Boyton
01-22-2007, 11:22 PM
For a first, that's great!! No, no, don't touch it, keep it as your first piece, change your NEXT piece, and then since that'll be fun...your next piece too, and then...hehe:D

Great first,
Joash

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Doug.........Very nice first bowl! I like the form and the finish......If it was mine....I'd leave it as is.......autograph the bottom and date it....put it up on a shelf.....There's absolutely nothing wrong with the finish....the thick bottom will keep it from being top heavy..........Very nice 1st bowl....They'll only get better! Nicely done!

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Doug for a first bowl it looks mighty fine. Finish looks great to me. I wish my first bowl looked that good. Is that 3/4" measured or a guess? With the foot as deep as it looks I would be awful careful. I may be wrong but would hate for it to turn into a funnel after all that work. Been there done that.:mad: Just my humble opinion but I would leave it alone. Put it on the shelf and admire it. Now I go back, look at some I do today and then compare them with the first one. You will be amazed in a years time.

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2007, 11:29 PM
First bowl??? Wow, great finish and nothing wrong with the form! Suggest you take Ken's advice and sign and date your bowl and set it aside. It's your first... change the design on your next one like Joash suggests! It becomes addicting so watch out!

John Hart
01-23-2007, 7:14 AM
Great job!! Sure kicks the snot out of my first bowl. I agree that you should sign it, date it, display it. Nicely done.:)

Keith Burns
01-23-2007, 8:00 AM
Very nice first bowl. Great finish. I agree, do not return it. Put it on your shelf and be proud of what you have accomplished.:) :)

Frank Kobilsek
01-23-2007, 8:41 AM
Doug
Good First bowl. You avoided the cut off coffee can look of many first bowls so I'd say you are ahead of many/most on your first effort.

Do-overs have always brought me bad luck and your piece reminds me of an early effort of mine that I decided to re-turn. I had a foot similar to yours and had internal held it with the chuck for the re-turn. The foot split and the bowl 'left' the lathe in a big hurry. Not a confidence booster.

Grab another piece of wood and make another. Enjoy

Frank

jeremy levine
01-23-2007, 9:02 AM
Just walk away. The color , finish and form are fine. Congrats.

Tom Sherman
01-23-2007, 4:44 PM
Doug this is a great first effort, I agree with the others, sign it and put it up move on to the next one.

Mark Pruitt
01-23-2007, 4:52 PM
Great first! Heck, I didn't even apply a finish to mine, I was just excited to have it stay in one piece.:D

Keep 'em coming!

Neal Addy
01-23-2007, 5:25 PM
Nice! I like the design!

I wouldn't re-turn anything, just hang on to this as-is and go do another. :cool:

Jonathon Spafford
01-23-2007, 6:45 PM
That is a super looking bowl... I would be proud to have the as my first! And know you ain't gonna see my first... screw holes in the bottom, tearout, ugly stain, no finish, and a ripply wall all the way up! My mom keeps it for blackmail :D

I would just leave that as is - famous last words have many times been, "Aw, just one more teeny cut!" DAMHIKT :D

Bill Wyko
01-23-2007, 7:43 PM
I too am new at this. You've done a fine job. When you're done and want to make changes, make them to the next one other wise it will ultimatly end up on the floor in shavings.:eek: Thats a beautiful piece. Keep up the good work.

John Chandler
01-23-2007, 9:06 PM
I am hoping my first bowl looks close to that. Good job.

Ernie Nyvall
01-23-2007, 9:50 PM
That's a great first bowl. Like the others... leave it alone.

Skip Spaulding
01-24-2007, 8:27 PM
Great bowl, put it on the shelf with candy in it. DON't RECHUCK! Skip

Christopher K. Hartley
01-24-2007, 8:54 PM
Leave it alone, less tears that way. Great looking bowl! Apply what you've learned to the next one.:)

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2007, 10:02 PM
That's a great first bowl! Finish and all!

Corey

Nancy Laird
01-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I am hoping my first bowl looks close to that. Good job.

Ditto!

Nancy