PDA

View Full Version : Good starter set of turning chisels

Russell Housman
01-22-2007, 11:05 PM
I have just started woodturning after some 20 years and I'm looking for suggestions on what the best starter set of chisels on the market today. I will be doing mostly bowl turning starting off.

Any suggestions ? :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Russell .....Welcome to the Creek!.........Starter sets.......the best?????Most of the sets sold as sets really don't have everything you need. If I was starting out again (this time last year I didn't turn) I'd buy the following tools.....a 3/8" spindle gouge........a 3/8" or 1/2" bowl gouge.....a 1/8" parting tool........a 3/4" skew......a 3/4" roughing gouge........Those tools are the ones you'll use the most. Most of the sets I've seen are steered towards spindle turning.....You can buy name brands....Hamlet....Sorby.....PM.......Crown...... ..Ellsworth......as long as they are good HSS ......probably not a lot of difference but the price....

I'm sure some of the more experienced turners will chime in with more advice....

Again......Welcome to the Creek!

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Russell, just wanted to jump in and Welcome You to the Creek!!

As far as starter sets... any chance you can get with some other turners in your area, like a Woodcraft, a turning club or something? You would be able to ask questions, see demos and hopefully find out what you really would be able to use as far as tools.

No quick answer.. Have fun with it and be safe!

Russell Housman
01-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Steve I would love to join a group in my area but I can't find any, I live on Long Island and there just doesn't seem to be any groups here unless someone has heard of one?

And Thanks for the warm welcome!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Russell.....check here.....http://www.woodturner.org

Look under local chapters.....NY...

Russell......turners in general are truly a civil and generous bunch! They are more than happy to share knowledge, techniques and advice. I noticed there is a local chapter of the AAW on Long Island. Good luck with your venture into turning! It's addictive!

Jason Slutsky
01-23-2007, 6:21 AM
Russell,

I've only been turning for a month and wanted to buy a set of tools that I wouldn't be "scared" to sharpen until I gain some proficiency at it. I bought an 8 pc. set at my local Harbor Freight store but they do have a website.

HF carries two 8 pc sets...one is about $37 and the other is about $50. They both contain the same types and are both high speed steel but the grinds on the more expensive set looked much better.

Jason

Gordon Seto
01-23-2007, 10:14 AM
HF carries two 8 pc sets...one is about $37 and the other is about $50. They both contain the same types and are both high speed steel but the grinds on the more expensive set looked much better.

Jason,

The only difference I saw was the color of the handles and packaging. One has natural color handles, foam lining and plain sleeve over the box. The other has maroon color handles, valvet lining and sleeve with color picture. You have to sharpen them before use anyway. Go with the cheap set. IMO, the natural finish is better. The cheap sets are regularly selling at EBay around $60 plus shipping.

There is no bowl gouge in either set. You still need a separate bowl gouge for turning side grain bowls.

Normally I will not buy a turning tool set, because there are some in that set that we'll hardly use at all. But this set is so cheap averaging under $5 per tool; we can't even buy HSS tool bit at that price. I converted some of mine to speciality scrapers, like dovetail scraper for making recess for chucking.

Gordon

John Hart
01-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Welcome Russell!!! Great little roiling river you've found here. My personal favorite on starter chisels is the ones that don't cost very much so you can get your sharpening skills honed.

Gary DeWitt
01-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Welcome aboard! There's a AAW chapter listed as this:
http://www.liwoodturners.org/
Give them a holler and check out one of their meetings. It's the very best thing you can do.

Daniel Heine
01-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Russell,

I have an 8 pc set of the Windsor Design tools from Harbor Freight, and they are very good tools for the money. No bowl gouge in the set however. I have been looking at the Pinnacle tools that Woodcraft carries, and they seem to be very high quality, and reasonably priced. I have also heard good things about Benjamins Best tools from Penn State Industries.

Just my two cents worth.

Good Luck,
Dan heine

Patrick Lane
01-23-2007, 4:09 PM
I have to second the harbor freight set. I picked one up when I started turning a few years ago and have made quite a few pens with it.

I have ruined the grind on a few of them and would feel really bad had they been expensive.

I am actually going to pick up a set of these this afternoon. If you are going to a retail HF store, search google and you will come up with either a 15 or 20% off one item coupon depending which they are offering at the time (some say they accept the 20% regardless of the expiration date but I'm not sure).

Jason Anders
01-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm a newbie and I picked up a set of the Benjamin Bests anniversary sets from Penn State for around $55 with shipping and it came with a bowl gouge. Seemed to have every thing to get me started. A little sharpening and they've worked well for a few pens and other odds and ends I've been able to start with. I splurged for a small set of the Sorby tools like in Barry Gross's Pen Workbook and I honestly can't say that they were worth the extra money yet... but I'm just learning still.

Russell Housman
01-24-2007, 6:44 AM
Thanks folks this is all very useful information, I was ready to go out and put down 200 to $300 on a high end set, but I’m going to try the inexpensive set first and see how it goes from there. Since we are on the subject what is the best way to sharpen chisels?

John Hart
01-24-2007, 6:57 AM
Russell, there are tons of books and videos available for technique. If you Google on the terms "sharpening woodturning chisels", you'll find quite a lot. The best thing to remember is that sharp tools are a Must for an enjoyable experience. Get them sharp and keep them sharp. Most folks will sharpen several, if not dozens of times on a single project. Have fun!!!

Gordon Seto
01-24-2007, 7:11 AM
Russell,

Almost all turning tools need to be sharpened before use. Even the high end Sorby, Crown are not sharp, ready for use. The shape of the grind may not suit you either.
Play it safe and have fun.

Gordon

Gary DeWitt
01-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Here's a very good video on sharpening from 4 pros:
http://www.woodturner.org/products/videos/fundamental_sharp/
While you're there, you might want to look up your local club and get in touch.
Welcome aboard.
Turn safely and have fun!

Skip Spaulding
01-24-2007, 5:16 PM
Russell, Don't forget the face shield if you don't have one as yet! Skip

Russell Housman
01-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks again to everyone's great advise I can see it was a good idea to join this forum.

I am sure I will be looking for advise again real soon.

Russell :)