PDA

View Full Version : My weekend's small amount of turnings....

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2007, 11:01 PM
I worked on doing some odd "Honey dues" on Saturday. I finally got to the shop and drilled another set of corian pen blanks and got the barrels epoxied into them. I then spent a little time working with my new Jamieson hollowing rig. First I had to FINALLY screw the lathe to the Diving Board. It's been clamped on with a c-clamp for a year....but the mechanical load of that secondary tool rest hangs out over the side of the lathe bed enough I thought the lathe needed to be attached to the 2x12. Then I took a short, wide little piece of box elder....thinking of the advice Travis suggested....I turned a little bowl. This was just a trial run.....wasn't meant to be a finished piece. In the end I parted it off to see how close I could make it function....wall thickness about 1/8"-3/16".....I was impressed with the ease of using the tool. I need to work on the transition from the bottom to the side walls but.....everything considered....it went well.......Another bowl maybe.....and then a true hollow form.....the LOML....took one look at this bowl......she demanded I finish it.....I told her it was just an experiment .....not meant to be a finished project....she said "Finish it"......Also here are the 2 corian pens I made for my manager who's been recalled to active duty....corian, slim lines...made to fit the pen pockets on the uniforms......

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Pens look great Ken. I like the fit and finish. Now do as the LOYL says and finish the dang bowl. Seriously I like the bowl Ken and I think if you finished it, it is going to look mighty fine. Just my humble opinion.

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Ken, have to agree with Bernie - great looking pens! That bowl has a lot of color and should look great once it is finished! Keep the wife Happy!!

Karl Laustrup
01-23-2007, 7:38 AM
First I had to FINALLY screw the lathe to the Diving Board. It's been clamped on with a c-clamp for a year....

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Say it isn't so!! After only a year? :confused: What's the world coming to? :confused: I thought you were gonna sit down with an OS and we'd discuss this. Geez, next your gonna tell us you're finishing the shop. ;) :rolleyes: :D

I like the bowl and agree with LOYL. FINISH IT!!! Pens look really good and will, I'm sure be greatly appreciated.

Karl

Keith Burns
01-23-2007, 7:51 AM
Ken, you are a natural. The pens look great and the bowl...FINISH IT !! It will turn out great. :) :)

John Hart
01-23-2007, 8:02 AM
A thought just went through my head, "I oughta build Ken a bench and ship it to him so he can use his ladder to finish his shop":)

Then I realized that would be certain death with all the things I gotta get done on this house!:o

Nicely done Mr. Fitzgerald. "World Class Turner" is just around the corner. You can bring tours in and show off the diving board, give lessons, have a little coffee shop in the corner.;)

Tom Sherman
01-23-2007, 4:36 PM
Ken I like the bowl and the pens looks like you've moved up to the next level, time to build a new bench for the bomb.

Ernie Nyvall
01-23-2007, 9:09 PM
Way to go Ken about the pens for the soldier. Nice work.

Neal Addy
01-23-2007, 9:54 PM
Really nice, Ken! I love Corian pens. Still haven't tried turning it yet. You did great!

On the bowl, I agree with your better half... finish that puppy! Letting a nice bowl like that go unfinished can cost you two turning demerit points!

Barry Stratton
01-24-2007, 1:47 AM
Sweet stuff Ken! I haven't tried Corian yet either but like the look.

As for the bowl, SWMBO is right.

As for still turning on the diving board.......:D :D ....I'm still chuckling.

Jonathon Spafford
01-24-2007, 2:45 AM
I like the stuff... that bowl is such a pretty piece of wood and it looks like a mini salad bowl. The pens are also nice... I like the look of the corian with the black kits. I would go ahead and finish the bowl... if nothing else you can use it on your dresser to put change in or something. If it really is just a practice bowl you could cut it in half like Richard Raffan suggest to examine the cross section... I never have had the nerve to do that and it would be a pity to destroy that nice bowl... but if you were going to do nothing else with it!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2007, 8:48 AM
Jonathon....It really is a practice bowl that I turned using my new hollowing rig. I wanted to get some experience using it. Travis Stinson recommended I try it on a few bowls to get the experience. I did...and the only thing I'd do different on the next one is work on the transition between bottm and sidewall.

Gary DeWitt
01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Did you intend for those pens to be camoflaged? They certainly turned out that way. If it wasn't for the black metal parts, he could loose 'em if he dropped them in the sand!
Good turning. I'd cut the bowl in half if I didn't finish it, but that's just me.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Gary....I did intend for them to be camoflaged and I used the black titanium rather than gold to minimize the shine. During my Abysseration last year somebody from Cleveland sent me a lot of odds and ends..pen blanks...corian scraps.....It just turned out that the right color of corian was among the scraps. Though my new manager is younger than my youngest son...he and his wife are West Point graduates...he's a young father of 2 and just a really nice guy! A bunch of us went together.....A salesman and his wife babysat the manager's 2 children overnight....A limo picked up our manager and his wife up..They live in Spokane, WA...drove them to Couer DaLene, ID to the Wolf Creek Lodge for a romantic dinner and then took them home. He's just a really nice person!

Skip Spaulding
01-24-2007, 5:29 PM
Ken, looks like new tool works good, pens look great. Bet they bring a smile every time He uses one and thinks of home. Must be you are not such a bad guy either! Skip

Christopher K. Hartley
01-24-2007, 8:38 PM
Ken, you're obviously like my eldest son..he seems to always have to be told things more than once. Finish It!:D I agree with her.;) Next time just have to be told once. It is a beautiful and colorful bowl, besides, it is safer that way especially when the Boss tells you something.:eek: :)

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2007, 9:24 PM
Oooh nice work on both Ken! That little bowl is really sweet!

corey

Travis Stinson
01-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice job Ken. So, how are you liking that hollowing rig? :D
Looking forward to seeing some more from it!