PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple HF

Keith Burns
01-22-2007, 9:33 PM
Yes, it does have the dimpled rim and the inside of the lid is dimpled as well. The HF measures 6" dia. x 4-5/8" tall. Walls are 1/8". With the lid and finial the height is 8-1/2". The lid and finial are dyed Walnut. Honestly, I don't know if I like the lid and finial and would like your honest thoughts. My apologies for the poor photos. Think it's getting close to replacement time. Thanks for looking.

Mark Pruitt
01-22-2007, 9:44 PM
Keith, I really like the form and I like the shape and size of the finial. I'm wondering if padauk might have given you something closer to what you were wanting? But then I think this is the second time today that I have mentioned padauk as an alternative species for a lid with finial, so maybe I'm drinking too much of the wrong flavor of coffee.:rolleyes:

BTW, I like the dimple treatment too.

John Chandler
01-22-2007, 9:46 PM
I like the color contrast and the dimpled effect. How did you make the dimples? Good work.

Neal Addy
01-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Outstanding work, Keith! :cool:

This has been really fun to study (being one of my favorite types to turn). I like many of the elements you've incorporated.

The subtle rise at the rim of the bowl really fits well. These can be so easily overdone. I think this one works so well because the soft shoulder of the bowl flows easily into it. The whole effect is very pleasing to the eye. I also find the recess for the lid interesting. It sure gives you a smooth transition into the lid.

I like the finial. It's unique and the proportions are spot-on. Teardrop shapes are my personal favorite. At first glance my initial thought was "there's no base!" (like we're use to seeing) but the more I look at it the more I like it. It adds an additional level of delicacy that is very pleasing.

Sorry so long winded. I'll shut up now and just say: Beautiful!

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Keith that is a beauty. Wonderful work on it. I like the form and finish. By the way the wife just walked by and said keep the finial. She says it makes it look elegant. So there you have it.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Another beauty Keith! I like the finial.

Dennis Peacock
01-22-2007, 11:44 PM
That's awsome Keith and the finial is a beautiful form and perfect touch to this piece. Congrats on a HF and finial well done. :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Beautiful work Keith!

I see I have a lot to learn about form but with examples like yours it shouldn't take me to long. Great finial, very delicate form - something for me to work towards!

Jonathon Spafford
01-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Love it!!! I like this dimpling groove you are in... adds character!

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Very nice, Kieth. The finial is (thanks Steve for the correct word) very delicate and tops the HF nicely.

Bruce

Jonathon Spafford
01-23-2007, 1:37 AM
If you want a small teeny critique than highlight this post... I didn't notice it at first and maybe it is just me, but if you made the lid with a rounded lip that came over the mouth of the vessel it might have provided a better break in line flow than going flush! Again it might just be me!

If you don't want a smal teeny critique than ignore this :D

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-23-2007, 8:41 AM
I love it Keith! Absolutely nail this one. I just bought my first skew and am gonna be giving that finial stuff a try. :D

Frank Kobilsek
01-23-2007, 8:47 AM
Keith
I like it and nice variation on the dimple motif.
Frank

John Hart
01-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Neal took the words right out of my fingertips. The little things you did made this piece unique, and nicely so.

Rich Stewart
01-23-2007, 10:56 AM
That's a great looking HF. I like the finial. I have tried to make a couple and I always kill the detail with sandpaper. How do you keep the sharpness? Great piece.

Rich

Keith Burns
01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I like the color contrast and the dimpled effect. How did you make the dimples? Good work.

Thanks John. I use a Dremal tool with a small round burr to make the dimples. No pattern, just randomly placed.

Keith Burns
01-23-2007, 11:17 AM
That's a great looking HF. I like the finial. I have tried to make a couple and I always kill the detail with sandpaper. How do you keep the sharpness? Great piece.

Rich

Thanks Rich. Finials, among other things are difficult for me. I use a combination of a skewigouge and a 1/4" round skew. Cindy Drozda has a very good CD on doing them. The big thing I have found out is that sandpaper is your enemy. The other thing is that you take very light cuts. On small details I start sanding, very lightly at 320 grit. On the bigger portions I may start at 240 if needed. I doesn't take much to totally change the form.

Tom Sherman
01-23-2007, 5:01 PM
Keith that is an awsome piece, I like the finial.

Jim Ketron
01-23-2007, 5:53 PM
Nice Piece Keith!
Love the details and great job on the finial!

Ernie Nyvall
01-23-2007, 9:15 PM
That's a nice one Keith. Good job on the finial and lid.

Barry Stratton
01-24-2007, 1:35 AM
I LIKE IT! Form ,finial, finish, fit are all great. The dimples under the lid are a nice touch as well.

Bob Hallowell
01-24-2007, 7:17 AM
Keith,
I think it is outstanding. I would change a thing.

Bob

Christopher K. Hartley
01-24-2007, 8:49 PM
Awesome Keith!:)

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Very nice Keith!

Corey