PDA

View Full Version : More Compressor Questions

Bill Grumbine
01-22-2007, 9:20 PM
Okay, I was not able to get into the shop and work on my compressor, since SWMBO was in there painting, and I did not want to take chances of blowing dust all over the place by accident. Life is too short to make it shorter.

So, I was looking at machines on line. From what I can see, I will be buying essentially the same machine and paying for the paint job unless someone here has some advice based on experience. For example, I found a Kobalt (?) from Lowe's for $499.00. The same machine (specs are pretty much identical) painted a different color that says Ingersoll Rand on it goes for $625.00. Sears seems to have given up completely on oil filled machines in favor of their tooth rattling oiless compressors. No thanks! :eek:

If I end up buying a new machine, I am going to go for something in the 60-80 gallon range. Please don't write in and tell me I need to buy something bigger. I won't pay attention. http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/fce32f95.gif I don't have the money to buy anything bigger, and just as important, I don't have the room to house it. But if you have experience with compressors in this size range, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks.

Bill

Jim Becker
01-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Probably not the same machine, Bill...the specs may be similar, but when you look at the fittings, etc., on the IR, you'll likely see a difference. I don't know who is making the Kobalt; Husky at the orange 'borg is made by CH, as far as I know.

My 60 gallon IR was about $500 on sale at Tractor Supply in Quakertown. (3hp, single stage). That was very price competitive with the various colored machines in the big-box stores at the time. There are some threads from awhile back here at SMC that talked about the differences between the IR and the store brands, but I forget who posted them. 'May have been Dennis Peacock in one, but I'm getting old...CRS disease is what it is....

George Grubaugh
01-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Bill,

A dual stage compressor gives you more capacity in the same space if thats an issue.

It costs more too, of course.

Hope this helps,

George

Rick Anderson
01-23-2007, 1:31 AM
Bill,
I would recommend you also take a look at Quincy compressors. They are up in the range of the IR but run at a slower RPM which means less noise. (NOT silent though). I have a 60 gallon single stage which works great with air tools. I also do my vacuum chucking with the compressor air via a vacuum manifold. It works great!
Rick

PS: Lovin' my Vega!

Bill Grumbine
01-23-2007, 8:55 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Jim, Tractor Supply had never occurred to me. There is one less than 10 miles from here, so I will have to check them out. I know all the arguments about things that look the same and have different parts or levels of quality, but I don't know enough about the compressor market to know if that is the case or if it is only the paint that makes the difference. I would hope that an IR would be better built, especially with them being so close to home here, but one never knows anymore...

George, I will be looking to see if I can fit one into my wallet, but I am not sure that will be feasible.

Rick, I don't know if there are any Quincy dealers around here, and this, like virtually all of my big machinery, is going to be a local purchase. I really hate ordering big stuff to be shipped only to have problems with it later on. I like supporting local dealers as well.

Thanks again guys!

Bill

JayStPeter
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
When Lowes changed from CH to Kobalt, I looked over the 60 gal machines side by side and they looked identical to me (as did the Husky). All the Kobalt and Husky accessories (ie regulators etc.) also look identical to the CH versions including the packaging. I bought a CH at Lowes with a 10% off cupon and it's been fine. Others have complained about some plastic fittings leaking. But, mine has been in place for 3 years now and doesn't lose any air that I can detect. It sits turned off for months and when I turn it back on doesn't need to run. Not bad for the $350 I paid for it. I have looked over an IR and agree that the fittings in question are much nicer looking. Perhaps the overall quality is better as well, but I doubt I'll notice with the amount of use it gets.