PDA

View Full Version : harbor freight drill press

Marc Prudhomme
01-22-2007, 9:03 PM
Hi
I bought the 99 dollar 1/2 HP benchtop drill press at HF.I hope its not a pice of crap.Ill cross my fingers

Tim Malyszko
01-22-2007, 9:06 PM
Hi
I bought the 99 dollar 1/2 HP benchtop drill press at HF.I hope its not a pice of crap.Ill cross my fingers

I'm interested in hearing your experience. I will probably buy a drill press in the next few months and this one was on my list.

Good Luck with it.

Marc Prudhomme
01-22-2007, 9:09 PM
Tim
I always hear mixed reviews about HF on this site.I never know what to think

Pete Brown
01-22-2007, 9:12 PM
The most important thing to test with an inexpensive drill press is the runout. Chuck some plain drill rod in there and look for wobble at the end.

Larry Crim
01-23-2007, 9:18 AM
Marc
I bought the larger floor model 16 speed and It turned out to be a pretty good paid $149 for it a few years ago I did find that the chuck and taper were pretty much junk so after upgrading the taper and chuck I ended up with a fairly good drill press. I do not know if others have had the same experience with HF tools as me but I have had to replace all the switches on All my HF electric tools the rocker switch they use is pretty much junk I have three tools with the rocker switch DP, DC and grinder and have had to replace all the switches.
Larry

Tyler Howell
01-23-2007, 11:49 AM
My first DP was HF. Would burn oval holes in in my stock.

James Carmichael
01-23-2007, 1:12 PM
Save your receipt.

Glen Simpson
01-23-2007, 6:39 PM
A friend and I both bought one, I am using the motors and pulleys from both for other projects. Broke the depth stop on the first one in about 2 hours. Never again...

Glen Simpson

Marc Prudhomme
01-23-2007, 9:18 PM
Oh boy, I got a bad feeling.Well I could use it for about a year(if it makes it that long)then sell it on craigs list for 30 less than I paid for it.

Jim W. White
01-23-2007, 9:19 PM
I'll dare to go against the flow here.

I have the floor model listed below and have been very happy with it. At first I was disappointed and was ready to bring it back when I remembered I had some extra link belt laying around. Replaced both the drive belts with link and cut the vibration down to nothing. It routinely goes on sale for $100 off the price currently listed which then puts it at the price point I beleive it should be at.

If your going to bring the one you bought back, I would encourage you to get a floor model as the footprint really is inconsequential when compared to dealing with a larger bench model which you will have to "place" in a semi-permanent place somewhere.

My 2 cents,

Jim in Idaho

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43389

Marc Prudhomme
02-01-2007, 7:59 PM
Hi,
Well I finaly got the drill press in the mail yesterday and I have to say I was very surprised.I have heard some real horror stories on this forum about HF and I was expecting the cheapest piece of junk on the market.Put it together in about 20 min,started it up and drilled a few 5/8 holes in some oak with no problem at all.No wobble at all,cast iron base and table,has some good weight to it,depth stop works great,switch is a little loose(I have heard of problems on forum about the switches)but if thats the only thing that goes,no big deal.For the money IMO I think I got a great deal.Thinking about trying the 12 in Thickness planer next but i will wait as little while.Still got some other projects to do to get my shop together.
Well just thought I would share my opinion.
See ya
Marc

Dell Littlefield
02-01-2007, 8:40 PM
I have used mine for over 25 years with nary a problem.

Dave Lehnert
02-01-2007, 10:42 PM
A few years back I purchased a no-name brand ,floor model drill press, from a discount store for $99. That drill press is the most accurate tool in my shop. You never know.

“You get what you pay for” but sometimes all you “get” is ripped off.

Mark Densmore
02-01-2007, 11:16 PM
As far as the planer you might want to check out Grizzly 12 1/2" planer http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0505 I picked one of these up and absolutely love it has done real well for me I bought it @ $225 it's $239 now.

David Wilson
02-02-2007, 9:18 AM
I've had mine for aboyt 3 years and have no complaints. Initially the press made a terible ratteling noise until I found the rubber bumpers for the pulley cover.

Larry Crim
02-02-2007, 9:25 AM
I use link belts on mine makes it a little smoother and less vibes, as for the switch I would replace it now. Mine went and actually melted could have burnt up the wiring or worse do not take the chance all mine on my HF stuff have gone out. you can get one at any elec store or radio shack.
pat

David Epperson
02-02-2007, 9:53 AM
Thinking about trying the 12 in Thickness planer next but i will wait as little while.
That one was on sale for $169 just a week or so ago...might still be. And I think I still have a 15% discount coupon that I got in an E-mail from HF.

Marc Prudhomme
02-02-2007, 7:01 PM
Marc,
The 239 I dont mind paying but the 40.00 shipping really bites
As far as the planer you might want to check out Grizzly 12 1/2" planer http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0505 I picked one of these up and absolutely love it has done real well for me I bought it @ $225 it's $239 now.

Jake Helmboldt
02-02-2007, 7:30 PM
A drill press is a pretty basic machine; either the chuck has runout or it doesn't and it either drills round holes or ovals.

For something like a planer I would spend the extra money and get something that is tried-and-true, has knives available for it, and which will give you a quality finish. A nice lunchbox planer like the Delta 22-580 can be found for a good bargain (below retail) and gives a finish that is virtually smooth enough to go straight to applying your final finish, and snipe is non-existant. Those elements alone more than make up for the extra cost in the time and materials you save.

My 2 cents. JH

Marc Prudhomme
02-03-2007, 6:37 PM
I was just trying to give a positive statement for HF,thats all.I havn,t been burnt yet so Ill try it till I get burnt,then I,ll learn
A drill press is a pretty basic machine; either the chuck has runout or it doesn't and it either drills round holes or ovals.

For something like a planer I would spend the extra money and get something that is tried-and-true, has knives available for it, and which will give you a quality finish. A nice lunchbox planer like the Delta 22-580 can be found for a good bargain (below retail) and gives a finish that is virtually smooth enough to go straight to applying your final finish, and snipe is non-existant. Those elements alone more than make up for the extra cost in the time and materials you save.

My 2 cents. JH