PDA

View Full Version : Teak - Interior non-toxic finish

Dan Invan
01-22-2007, 8:14 PM
Checked out a couple of discussion groups, can't find anyone else who has posted info on this. There is quite a bit of stuff on finishing teak for exterior use, but not interior.

I built a small Krenov-style wall cabinet out of teak. I handplaned/scraped all the surfaces, no sanding, so the pores are quite open, not filled with dust. I was thinking of just leaving it unfinished, but am thinking the pores would get filled with dirt over time.

As an alternative to just leaving it unfinished, I am considering rubbing on one of beeswax, pure tung oil, Tried and True Varnish (mostly linseed oil I believe), or shellac. Or one of these with the beeswax on top.

One of the problems with teak is that it is naturally quite oily, I can feel it readily on my fingers after handling it. So I am concerned about adhesion over the long term for these finishes. Does anyone have any experience with any of these finishes on teak for interior use?

Thanks,

Dan

Mark Singer
01-22-2007, 9:42 PM
I have been using teak recently...Briwax is subtle and works well. Teak Oil is very nice and renuable...the mineral spirits are not present once it is dry...Watco makes a good one

Jim Becker
01-22-2007, 11:11 PM
All finishes available today are "non toxic" once fully cured. Don't drink them, but chewing on your workpiece once the finish is cured shouldn't kill you outside of the tooth and jaw pain... ;)

My teak kitchen table was finished with Watco followed by a polyurethane varnish. (Yea, the only thing in my house I've put poly on and it's not holding up like what I normally use) I had no issues with curing, etc, although this particular table top dates back to the early 1960s and came from the jungles of Viet Nam...whatever oil in it may have gone bye-bye in all that time.