PDA

View Full Version : Jointers

Jason Nelson
01-22-2007, 7:44 PM
I'm looking at benchtop jointers, I've narrowed my search down to the Grizzly 6" bench jointer and the Delta variable speed 6" jointer, this is my first jointer so could you give me some suggestions on which one you think is best. Thanks

glenn bradley
01-22-2007, 8:46 PM
I have the Delta which I just saw for sale today for around $170. The VS is nice and the knives are cheap. I bought 3 sets and have only changed them once in a year and that was after hitting 'something'.

The downside of the Delta in my experience is that the body is sheet metal. If you clamp it to your bench it will 'rack' and go out of alignment. This holds true for screwing it to something as well. One cure was to screw it to a board, re-set it up and all was well but clumsy. I now set it (minus the board) on some anti-skid pad and that works fine. Added a shop-built 4" dust port, works great.

If I was to do it again I would probably look at a cast iron body model. Either way, remember; this is a bench top tool. Mine does very well on anything up to 6" wide as long as it is not too long / heavy. Even with infeed and outfeed supports, the unit suffers if the piece is too heavy. The tables are aluminum and just don't like the abuse.

Can't speak for the Griz, Palmgren or others but when used as designed the Delta has done fine.

P.s. I'm saving for an 8" bit by bit.

Jason Nelson
01-22-2007, 9:03 PM
I'm also trying to save up, but I have a few projects lined up where I need a jointer. So I might as well start somewhere. Do you use the variable speed very often.

Thanks for the input

Nate Rogers
01-22-2007, 9:06 PM
Best advice I can give you is save your money and buy a 8 inch jointer, you will outgrow the benchtop units and 6 inch jointers very quickly. In the long run you will save money if you just buy a decent 8 inch jointer. Watch the papers for a good used one.

glenn bradley
01-22-2007, 9:22 PM
Jason,

Nate's correct statement not withstanding; I do use the variable speed. I don't know if this feature would be a determining factor but if all else was equal it would be a tie breaker. The slower speeds are for narrow or softer woods and does (for me at least) give a feeling of more control. Again, I would not give up a cast iron body just to get the VS.

Jim Becker
01-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Jason, please be aware that the benchtop jointer are best suited to small project work due to the short bed lengths. The can work fine in that regard if you keep them tuned up (they may require more maintenance than a typical cast iron machine). I helped a friend with some milling a couple years ago and he had the Delta. It was a screamer, but I was able to finese a straight edge. (I didn't do any face jointing on that machine so can't comment on it) I don't view the variable speed as useful. The faster...the better...relative to cut quality. (cuts per inch)

Long term, you'l be better served with a floor model and the wider, the better...but I do understand you have to start somewhere!

Raymond Eade
01-23-2007, 7:39 AM
I think that you should also look at the price difference between the benchtop version and either a 6 or 8 inch floor model with cast iron beds and fence. I had the Delta version you are asking about and it required to much fiddling with to keep the blades at the correct alignment. I replaced it with a Yorkcraft 6 inch for about $100.00 more then the list price of the Delta.

Jake Helmboldt
01-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Jason, I know it is always annoying when others say "oh save up and get the bigger/better/etc machine", but in this case I have to second that view. There is a huge jump in price from a 6" benchtop to a 8" jointer, but not a big jump to a 6" floor model.

As Jim mentioned, a 6" benchtop is very limited in what it can do. I drove myself crazy trying to mill some exterior shutter stiles because they were too long for that tiny jointer. A 6" floor model would have been fine and would have been great for the kitchen cabinets as well since I didn't have any wide stock. However, I just got an 8" because I will be doing a lot of projects with wider stock. So I would say at least pony up a little more and get a 6" with longer, iron beds. You can find those used all day long locally, so research how to check for alignment problems and save some money if you can only spend what the benchtop would cost.

JH

Nancy Laird
01-24-2007, 12:18 AM
I recently got a new jointer and have thought about getting an 8" one all along until the SCTW came out with their new line. I was very impressed with their new 6" deluxe wedge bed jointer and when I bought one I was even more impressed with it. 68" bed, 1 1/2hp motor, three knife cutterhead, 120/230v motor. WOW and only $699.99 and then add in a $100.00 factory rebate. This is a jewel just waiting for the right woodworker to grab them up.