PDA

View Full Version : Turned Furniture

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-22-2007, 6:24 PM
I did this a few years ago and I’m posting for those that may have not seen it previously. It’s not a miniature; it’s 42” tall, the table is 43” in diameter, and the king is 5 ˝” tall.. The seats swivel and the playing pieces, which are all segmented, can be stored in hidden drawers. The primary wood is myrtle from Oregon. I titled it “Deception on the Cocobolo” after the dark squares in the board and because of the nature of chess.

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2007, 6:36 PM
All I can say is WOW Malcolm. That is some beautiful turning. Thanks for sharing.

Bonnie Campbell
01-22-2007, 6:37 PM
WOW! :eek:

Hank Walczak
01-22-2007, 7:11 PM
How about some details... How long did it take, what type of lathe did you use, finish, etc. Definitely a show stopper!! Thanks for sharing...

Hank

Quinn McCarthy
01-22-2007, 7:46 PM
Malcolm

I saw that in your book. Very impressive. How many pieces?

Quinn

Bob Hallowell
01-22-2007, 8:07 PM
Malcom,
I saw that posted on another forum I used to visit. It wasn't posted by you but more of a can you believe that someone can do this post!!!:eek:

I was amazed then as I still am now. Do you do this as a full time job? Do you sell your peices all over or in a certain gallery?

Thanks
Bob

Fred Ritter
01-22-2007, 8:37 PM
Malcolm, I've looked at this picture many many times in your book and I am still blown away every time I see it. Thanks for sharing it.
Fred

Neal Addy
01-22-2007, 8:54 PM
All I can say is... keep practicing, Malcolm. Someday you'll get good at this turning stuff. ;)

(I've seen it elsewhere and I still can't believe this work!)

John Chandler
01-22-2007, 9:54 PM
Definitely awesome.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Malcolm....I saw this at your website. It's a superlative piece! Your imagination and execution just amaze me!

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Hank, the project stretched out over about two months (40 plus hours per week). At the time I had a custom-made, monster John Nichols lathe; I could have gone bigger. It’s finished with General Finishes Seal-a-Cell and satin Top Coat.

Bob, I started doing this as a serious hobby about 14 years ago. About three years ago, I left my employer of 32 years and started doing this fulltime. I’m currently able to directly sell 98% of what I create to collectors (without gallery involvement), mostly U.S., but a few international.

If I can figure out how to attach a photo to this response, I’ll upload a shot of the playing pieces.

Joash Boyton
01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
WOW!! this is really amazing work!! Beats my semi-completed set, that's fer sure!!

Excellent inspiration, love all the others on your site too!!

Joash

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Malcolm,

I have a very limited understanding of segmented work and have never even attempted any as yet but as a woodworker in general I can sort of understand how some of your pieces go together. What truely amazes me is your eye for design. How in the world do you come up with the patterns?? Well, I'm sure it's a gift and I appreciate you being on the Creek and sharing your work and some of your insights.

David Walser
01-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Malcolm,

You are scary good! I look forward to meeting you in February at the DWR. I also look forward to resigning myself to never, ever, measuring up...

Jonathon Spafford
01-23-2007, 12:05 AM
I have seen this several times.... I have this picture saved on my computer and I look at it every now and again when I feel like I have arrived with my turning skills :D
That is the most amazing and inspiring and beautiful piece I have seen. You did an outstanding job!

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Color me Suitably IMPRESSED!

Great work!

Bruce

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-23-2007, 8:47 AM
Malcolm. I don't know what to say. It looks like it belongs in a palace. Incredible work.

John Hart
01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
My wife and I were marveling over this last week while perusing your website....Just before I sold all my turning tools.;) My wife said, "No more! It's making my head hurt trying to figure out how someone can do such things."

I make her head hurt too....That makes you and I brothers!:) ...sorta.:o

Bill Wyko
01-23-2007, 1:51 PM
I did this a few years ago and I’m posting for those that may have not seen it previously. It’s not a miniature; it’s 42” tall, the table is 43” in diameter, and the king is 5 ˝” tall.. The seats swivel and the playing pieces, which are all segmented, can be stored in hidden drawers. The primary wood is myrtle from Oregon. I titled it “Deception on the Cocobolo” after the dark squares in the board and because of the nature of chess.
Hi Malcolm, I just wanted you to know that this piece was one of the pieces that inspired me to start segmented turning. I had never touched a lathe before December 2006, then I saw your work and a book about Ray Allen. I then immediatly ordered your book as well. Now instead of watching TV I'm in the garage turning segmented pieces. I'm now working on my 4th piece. It's made of Wenge and Curly maple. I'll post pics of my progress tomorrow.
I just wanted you to know what an inspiration your work is to me. Not just the segmenting but coming up with new techniques for design as well. I've read most of your book now and I must say, it has a wealth of information for anyone wanting to try segmentation.
Thanks Again:D
P.S. could you post the info for the show in Phoenix in February. I misplaced mine.
Oh and one more thing. This is my favorite piece out of anything I've ever seen.

Ernie Nyvall
01-23-2007, 9:02 PM
Truly amazing work Malcolm. Dedication to a goal.

Jason Anders
01-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Wow, utterly amazing work. Beautiful chess set. Certainly sets the bar in outer space. Really gives inspiration for what can be accomplished and something to strive for.

Hank Walczak
01-24-2007, 8:59 PM
Malcolm - would you share the method you used to cut the pieces for the Rooks? Those are the most remarkable pieces I have ever seen for that size. What clamping did you use if any? If it's not too much to ask of you. Thanks again for sharing.

Hank

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2007, 9:09 PM
Wow is right. Very cool!

Corey

Alex Cam
01-24-2007, 9:53 PM
Malcolm -- I saw this "set" featured in Fine Woodworking a year or two ago, and I've never forgotten it. Amazing!