PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak for a workbench??

Brian Hale
01-22-2007, 4:25 PM
Any opinions on using red oak for a workbench? LOML changed her mind and decided she wanted QSWO for the china cabinet/buffet so i've got just under 300 bd ft of 4/4 oak in the shop.

I'm concerned about splinters on the edges and how well it'll hold up to bench dogs and such.

TIA
Brian :)

Mike Weaver
01-22-2007, 4:34 PM
Brian,
While it wouldn't be my first choice, I think it would be fine, except....

I'd choose the edge strips *very* carefully - you don't want the grain running towards the surface/edge, because I suspect you'd snag some clothing on it eventually and at least end up with a chunk ripped out (maybe a nasty splinter).

If the grain were straight, I think it would be fine.
If not, perhaps consider edging with maple?

As for bench dogs, it's plenty strong and should hold up fine.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts. Probably worth what you paid for em...:)

-Mike

Brian Hale
01-23-2007, 4:18 AM
Thanks Mike!

I've got some birch and Ipe hanging around which could be used for edging the top.

I'm still unsure what i want to do. I've been building this bench in my head for years and now with this "extra" oak i was thinking i might get started on it.

Brian :)

scott spencer
01-23-2007, 8:54 AM
Should be a good choice Brian. You've got it, it's strong, it's attractive, and others have done it successfully.

Pics to follow?

Al Wasser
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Many yrs ago, when I was poorer, I built a shop cabinet and made the top out of salvaged oak. I edged the top with maple as suggested earlier. It takes a beating and it has worked well for me. I like red oak for a lot of things and it should make you a good work bench. If you ever have to move it you will be in trouble due to the weight