PDA

View Full Version : Board Buddy on a Powermatic

Mike Jobe
01-22-2007, 3:29 PM
I recently purchased some yellow board buddies by woodstock international. My question is does anyone have any suggestion on securing these onto a Powermatic Biesemeyer Fence without drilling into the fence itself? I am not completely sold on these yet and would hate to burger up a expensive fence with holes only to find out the the product will not work. Anyone out there come across this similar problem? Or does anyone have a general opinion regarding these, I would rather return them than stare at the holes for the rest of my life.

thanks
Mike

Jim Becker
01-22-2007, 3:31 PM
Mike, read Jim Tolpin's Tablesaw Magic...drill and tap your fence and be done with it! Not only will you be accommodating the Board Buddies when they are appropriate, you are setting yourself up for a lot of jigging versatility.

Mike Jobe
01-22-2007, 3:34 PM
Thanks! I see what your saying... I will give that a looksie.
mike

chris fox
01-22-2007, 4:33 PM
I got a pair of these for Christmas to use on my Jet contractors saw. They do a good job of keeping stock secure to table and fence. I drilled and tapped right to my basic Jet fence. They did take some getting used to, i.e. using a push stick but I know Mark Singer is a beliver of these and uses them on his Sawstop and Powermatic.

Shiraz Balolia
01-22-2007, 5:07 PM
I have mine mounted to a track which was screwed onto the top of the fence. That way I can slide them and position them wherever my job dictated.

Mark Singer
01-22-2007, 5:16 PM
Roy's post was really good....

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48448&highlight=board+buddies

Mike Jobe
01-22-2007, 6:02 PM
Mark, Shiraz, Chris, Jim (and Roy) this is great to have a pool of knowledge to go to in these topics and it is much appreciated, I will post once mine is completed.. Again thanks to all.

Phil Koundakjian
01-22-2007, 8:18 PM
Thanks Mark for the Thread to Roy's posting. I now have the confidence that the structure of the fennce will not be compromised. How much one learns from such a great site.

Mark Singer
01-22-2007, 9:40 PM
Board Buddies are great! They improve both accuracy and safety...I use them on almost every cut on the SawStop

Roy Wall
01-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Phil and Mike -
I attached the wooden platform (that houses the mini track) to the SS fence with 4 #10 x1.5" long self tapping machine screws....I drilled four 1/8th inch pilot holes first - then screwed in the self tapping bolts to secure the track/wood platform.

I felt like I needed the track "UP" about a 1/2" to allow for clearance of the buddies over the fence...the instructions recommended the same installment-- I think a full inch thick and then cutting the dado out..

If I ever took them off, it would just leave those 4 tiny 8th inch holes in the fence top......in no way would it compromise the strenth of the steel.

I would go ahead and use a full 3' of T-Track.....I ordered a 2' section, and while adequate... a full rail spanning the Beis Fence would be better!

Mark Singer has used these for 10+ years - and he is RIGHT about the Accuracy and safety....I use them virtually every rip cut, groove, etc....

Mike Jobe
01-27-2007, 9:25 AM
Well based off of everyone’s suggestions particularly Roy and Mark, I completed the board buddy mount on the Biesemeyer fence system. I made some minor modifications to the initial designs provided here; I used UHMW on both the BB bases as well as the actual mount to the fence, changed out the BB height adjustors to a 5 star knob, incra t-slot, and a bit of Powermatic gold to finish it off.
I will probably replace the star knobs that hold them into the t-slot with a smaller diameter, currently they interfere with one of the BB base adjustment thumb screws.
With that said, many thanks to Roy, Mark, and all for your suggestions, it works like a gem.

Roy Wall
01-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Mike,

Those are terrific modifications.....it's like Ralph Lauren meets BB's!!
Excellent work and glad you like the BB's....I think they add safety and accuracy to the work.

Those really do look great.....best BB look I've seen! You've got me thinking about Sawstop Red and Black......:rolleyes:

Al Willits
01-27-2007, 10:23 AM
fwiw I drilled and tapped a 3/8" aluminum plate and ran machine screws though the sides of the attached boards (?) on either side of the metal base of my Bies fence, figure it'll be easier to replace the sides of the fence, if need be.
After using the buddies a bit, I doubt I'll take them off, they don't work for everything, but they work for more than enough to keep them.
I found even one mounted just past the blade helps if the front one interferes.

Al

Mark Singer
01-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Mike that is probably the nicest BB install anywhere! My BB are a bit jealous at thei point....I am sure Roy's are feeling a little inadequate too:rolleyes:
Use them well....remember for most cuts use just the one behind the blade
so you can push pased the sawblade

Gary Keedwell
01-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi guys,

Well, the inspiration is contagious. Just finished mine last nite. Used QSWO board for stability (have alot hanging around). Drill and tapped 6 equally spaced 1/4-20 threads to accomodate 82º flat head machine screws. Thanks for the info.

Gary K.http://images.kodakgallery.com/servlet/Images/photos2662/2/20/53/56/96/9/996565320207_0_BG.jpg?a=0

Roy Wall
01-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Gary,

I can't get to the link......
Regardless, congrats on the BB install and enjoy!

Mark S. - Yes, my scrap work install is feeling very lowly.....:o

Mike Jobe
01-27-2007, 4:56 PM
Thanks Guys, that is a compliment coming from you all. I look forward to more postings in the future, this site rocks.